PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I'm among those still waiting on NW, though I'm expecting to log into my online application at some point later this week and see a rejection.

I've also had a similar experience with Georgia. I received my acceptance via postal mail from the grad school on 1/31/09 (interesting, seeing as Georgia's deadline was 2/1/09). Since then, I have heard absolutely nothing from the department...nothing about funding, nothing about a prospectives' visit, not even a lonely email from a professor congratulating me on my acceptance and inviting me to ask questions as has been routine for the other schools to which I was accepted.

Hey I also heard from Georgia about 5 days after I submitted my app do you think they realized after accepting us so quickly that we where not the right ones and now are not sure how to politely ditch us? I love my pursuit of grad school life.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reliable UPDATE. I called all schools this morning... could not take the stress any longer

Brown: If you where accepted you got a call last week, if you are on waiting list or rejected you won't know till mid march.

UNC Chapel Hill: They have only accepted 6 people so far (all six got mail a month ago), they have not rejected or wait listed anyone at this point as they wait on funding.

Princeton: All those who are in where accepted (waitlisted) where notified last week by email and and mail, and rejections are in the mail as of last week, should be getting one soon.

Northwestern- No need to call no one picks up or the lady is never there.

Howard: My friend who is a proff there sent me this "The Department Political Science at Howard University has NOT DONE its admission for geraduate students yet. Is that clear? That statement you quoted is not true for Department of Political Science, may for another Department at Howard University. Keep cool okay." I had emailed saying I read somewhere that people where notified.

Georgia State: They accept you and just go AWOL,no email nothing issshhh

Mein gott!

Lurker here sorry,

To those asking about Brown I can only relate that my daughter was called last week with her acceptance. She was advised that she would recieve the full package for acceptance via the postal service. they did advise her that it was for 19K medical etc. She did say that the women she spoke with asked her about several things related to her choices and she hoped that she would come to brown. Said it was very nice call.

Hope this is not bad news for anyone who is waiting. As of this writing she is waiting for all options before choosing.

It bodes ill for me, but thanks for letting us know. Congrats to your daughter. I did my Masters at Brown a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

Hey I also heard from Georgia about 5 days after I submitted my app do you think they realized after accepting us so quickly that we where not the right ones and now are not sure how to politely ditch us? I love my pursuit of grad school life.

Very similar situation for me and UGA. The website said a decision was made as to my application on 2/5, but I didn't get the official letter from the grad school for a few weeks. I also haven't heard anything about funding, visitation, etc. Their website makes it seem as though the visitation process is DIY.

Wow that guy at Howard seemed fairly exasperated!

I know lol. He is a great guy and will likely be my adviser. So I have been emailing him a lot. He met with me for 2 hours last week then sent me 'homework"I was like aghhh no sir, but still read the article and right now am working on an analysis for him. Man!!

On an entirely separate issue, my room mate has taken to singing classical musical during my time of pain what should I do??????

I know lol. He is a great guy and will likely be my adviser. So I have been emailing him a lot. He met with me for 2 hours last week then sent me 'homework"I was like aghhh no sir, but still read the article and right now am working on an analysis for him. Man!!

On an entirely separate issue, my room mate has taken to singing classical musical during my time of pain what should I do??????

Enjoy it? Some Turandot and Pagliacci does wonders for the soul.

Soo...we now know that the reason we haven't heard anything from UNC is that they're still wrangling for funding for more students. Do you all think this might be the case also with the few schools where we've seen a couple of admits (ex. NW and Minnesota on my list; many of you all have probably have other schools on your lists that fit this description as well) and then nothing for weeks on end? Or should I resume my pessimistic attitude toward my prospects for getting in anywhere else?

For anyone still waiting to hear from UW - Seattle. I contacted them today and here is what I got:

"We have had to extend our deadline due to the budget cuts and yes we have admitted a much smaller class than usual - but as is often the case, rumors are not quite accurate. Only seven fellowship offers have been made. This is to protect the scholars who are already in our PhD program until the UW gives everyone a clear idea of the budget cuts ahead. We are admitting more than that though.

I apologize for the delay. I know that applicants have made multiple submissions and I hope to get all final decisions out today. Email will be the medium. Thanks for your interest and I am sorry to hold you up."

Good to know that 7 is not the magic number. Still my hopes are not up very high (though not entirely dead either! :)). Maybe someone else out there will find solace in this tidbit...

So, I just heard from a friend who's a current grad student at Northwestern. Apparently they've decided on their first round, and are waiting to hear back from them before going to their waitlist or sending out any definative rejections. It could be weeks before the process is finished depending on how many in their first round take the offer.

Sorry to hear. It's disappointing news in any case, and especially so when you've applied to relatively few schools.

I got my BC rejection two weeks ago, and that was my first notifaction. It was supposed to be my safety school.

I haven't heard from MIT but I assume the rejection is on its way. As for BU, perhaps my top choice, several acceptances were posted yesterday on the results board and I didn't get one. So I'm anticipating rejection there, too.

There will be no lightning. I KNOW Brandeis will come through for you!

Sorry to hear. It's disappointing news in any case, and especially so when you've applied to relatively few schools.

I got my BC rejection two weeks ago, and that was my first notifaction. It was supposed to be my safety school.

I haven't heard from MIT but I assume the rejection is on its way. As for BU, perhaps my top choice, several acceptances were posted yesterday on the results board and I didn't get one. So I'm anticipating rejection there, too.

I KNOW Brandeis will come through for you!

From your lips to God's ears, my friend. But I'm not feeling too bad about it, been assuming rejections were on the way since I applied, basically.

I think the most difficult thing at the moment is the idea that I'll have to go tell girlfriend/family/friends about it. I hate the 'disappointed sympathy' look. And I dislike trotting out the "it's a tough year to apply" line like it's an excuse.

If we did this stuff in a vacuum or a bubble with no-one else's expectations to satisfy the whole thing would be a total breeze.

LOL! That's standard at my house. My roommate is going for grad school in opera performance.

I know I haven't seen anyone else who applied to Mizzou on the board, but just in case there's a lurker or two who have, I thought I'd share. I just emailed with the assistant for graduate admissions of the poli sci department who said notices would be going out sometime this week or at the beginning of next week. Not a lot of information, but it's something.

So, I just heard from a friend who's a current grad student at Northwestern. Apparently they've decided on their first round, and are waiting to hear back from them before going to their waitlist or sending out any definative rejections. It could be weeks before the process is finished depending on how many in their first round take the offer.

I beg to differ, as I have a definitive rejection. :)

From your lips to God's ears, my friend. But I'm not feeling too bad about it, been assuming rejections were on the way since I applied, basically.

I think the most difficult thing at the moment is the idea that I'll have to go tell girlfriend/family/friends about it. I hate the 'disappointed sympathy' look. And I dislike trotting out the "it's a tough year to apply" line like it's an excuse.

If we did this stuff in a vacuum or a bubble with no-one else's expectations to satisfy the whole thing would be a total breeze.

God i know that feeling... at this point i'm avoiding advisor's and anyone else who might ask "hey, you heard from any of the schools yet" ugh i hate that feeling...

---my last hope is georgetown

Very similar situation for me and UGA. The website said a decision was made as to my application on 2/5, but I didn't get the official letter from the grad school for a few weeks. I also haven't heard anything about funding, visitation, etc. Their website makes it seem as though the visitation process is DIY.

I'm in the same boat as all you guys. Accepted to UGA via email on Feb 6th and received official letter last week (I'm an international). Was told in an email that their budget has been severely cut this year and there are "very limited assistantships" on offer with "tougher competition" than usual. The following is from their website and suggests we may be waiting a while for funding info ...

Late February:

Exceptionally well qualified applicants are nominated for a limited number of Graduate School Assistantships

Early March:

Winners of Graduate School Assistantships are notified. All recipients are assigned as research assistants in the Departments of Political Science or International Affairs.

Mid-March:

Round 1 SPIA assistantships are awarded to new students. Winners will receive details later regarding their teaching or research assignment. All applicants awarded support in March have until April 15 to decide whether to accept the assistantship offer.

Mid-April:

Round 2 SPIA assistantships are awarded to students from a pool of applicants including both current and new students without funding. Deadlines for decisions in this and subsequent rounds of awards are generally two to three weeks.

May-June:

Awarding of SPIA assistantships continues until all funds are exhausted. The Graduate School normally issues partial tuition waivers during this time to applicants who are not Georgia residents. To be considered for these waivers, students must be nominated by their department.