PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding to Plisar's post about possible schools next week. I would add Chicago as unlikely, but possible. I predict they will be notifying earlier than in previous years. That said, they have also drasstically cut back on the number of students they plan on enrolling, so I am not holding my breath.

As it turns out, one of my LOR writers did not submit his letter to any of my schools. This has left me with only two LORs.

Ohio State will not consider my application since I am missing one required LOR. Wisconsin did review my application (per the graduate coordinator via e-mail message), but I have heard nothing else from Wisconsin so I assume I was rejected. Notre Dame has asked me to try to find another professor to write an LOR, but I don't think I'll be able to at this point (she seemed to indicate that the committee will still review my application even w/o a third LOR). I don't know if WUSTL will review the application or not, haven't heard anything from them.

Northwestern and UVA only require two LORs, so those seem to be my last best hope. Fortunately, these are two of my top three choices (along with Wisconsin)...

That really fucking sucks, man. I'm sorry to hear that. One of my profs still hasn't submitted my LOR to about half of my schools, and doesn't reply to emails or calls. (OK and KY both emailed me to let me know they were missing, and I'm trying to get ahold of the prof to even just email the LOR to the grad coordinator.) ND must be interested in you, since it seems like they're telling you that they WANT to review your app, and even find someone else at a late notice, and they'll review you. I'm not sure what WUSTL's policy is, but we're all hoping for the best for ya...

*EDIT: Also, nothing from UVA!

Hey all,

I know this has been a bad day for a lot of us, but I wanted to give a pep talk. Yale is one of the most competitive schools there is, absolutely! No matter what our records, getting into a school like Yale should be astounding, so try to let it roll off your back and enjoy your weekend. Good news will be waiting for all of us next week!

Plisar

Hey all,

I know this has been a bad day for a lot of us, but I wanted to give a pep talk. Yale is one of the most competitive schools there is, absolutely! No matter what our records, getting into a school like Yale should be astounding, so try to let it roll off your back and enjoy your weekend. Good news will be waiting for all of us next week!

Plisar

I totally agree, plisar. I sometimes find it's helpful to remind myself of the big picture: The vast majority of people who apply to these schools don't get in, and an even greater number of people don't ever apply at all. And you know what? Neither of those factors prevents one from still pursuing a fulfilling career or living a happy life... or applying again next year!

I totally agree, plisar. I sometimes find it's helpful to remind myself of the big picture: The vast majority of people who apply to these schools don't get in, and an even greater number of people don't ever apply at all. And you know what? Neither of those factors prevents one from still pursuing a fulfilling career or living a happy life... or applying again next year!

Right on. Nor does it prevent us from doing really important work--or working with each other (just like the invisible college during the Scientific Revolution). Collaborative/occasional poli sci blog anyone?

oh, right...I'm sorry -- already asked you that yesterday. Americanist -- but like you I have a J.D., so maybe a little public law thrown in -- I was honest in my SOP and said leaving options open.

I really thought my law degree and two years of law practice would help in the admission process ... maybe not though :(