PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Hv a question for those accepted to UW-Madison. What does your online status say? thanks.

Still reads "Your application has been received and is under review. Please refer to this page for updates." The letter from the DGS states that I have been recommended for admission and the grad school will contact me when my admission is finalized. I would expect that the status will not change for anyone until that happens.

have u emailed them to find out?

Well I figured it's 1:30 AM on a Friday night, and while I tend to work this late, the adcomms might not (lazybones.) I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. And if they made me (and BigCheese) wait this entire time only for a rejection letter, I might have to teepee the entire city of New Haven.

My Wisconsin status page has changed:

"Congratulations! You have been admitted to the Graduate School at UW-Madison! Please keep current with enrollment and important campus information through the links below."

I really thought my law degree and two years of law practice would help in the admission process ... maybe not though

My program has admitted people with law degrees before and it is not something that hurts someone (they were all from top 5 law schools so it probably helped them). I think that many people do value "real world" experience, but timing is working against you. This year there are many people applying to graduate school because they are suddenly unemployed or fear being unemployed soon. So schools will worry that your application to graduate school is driven by something other than a real desire to do polisci or that you even really know what polisci is. Also with law degrees the problem is that sometimes faculty worry that you just hate being a lawyer, and having paid your debt, you switch careers without really knowing what polisci or academia entails. If you can show schools convincingly in your SOP why you want to pursue a PhD, then the experience you have will probably help you. Good luck!

My Wisconsin status page has changed:

"Congratulations! You have been admitted to the Graduate School at UW-Madison! Please keep current with enrollment and important campus information through the links below."

Interesting. Mine has gone to:

"Your department has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates."

layla, any news from Yale? My status is still "submitted", making me wonder if I'm checking the wrong site...

No, no news, and it stinks. You, me, and Bigcheese are all in the same boat. Maybe we're waitlisted or something. At least we're not rejected yet!

No, no news, and it stinks. You, me, and Bigcheese are all in the same boat. Maybe we're waitlisted or something. At least we're not rejected yet!

yale does weird things...that you haven't heard back from them obviously means you haven't been rejected yet. but they seem to do waves every year. so, you might be in. you might be waitlisted. or you might have been rejected, but they haven't gotten around to getting your info online/emailed to you yet. that's how they usually do it. annoying because it makes speculation basically impossible with them, unlike other places.