PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Luckige--you were waitlisted at Illinois but admitted to Berkeley ... how strange...

I know! Since I have a different background (BA, MA in Economics, international applicant) I believe my process is more random than usual. I guess the "black box admission theory" played its part.

On a side note, one LOR arrived way after the UIUC's deadline, only one week before they started sending notifications. I guess I can stop cursing the lazy professor now.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to a friend in the PS office at Michigan and my advisor.

Apparently they have a ton of applications ("a room filled with folders") 130 applicants in comparative. And they're still reading and will be done in about two weeks.

Great, I guess i can count them out too. lol.

Talked to a friend in the PS office at Michigan and my advisor.

Apparently they have a ton of applications ("a room filled with folders") 130 applicants in comparative. And they're still reading and will be done in about two weeks.

There are 130 people in the world that want to study comparative politics?!? WHAT?!

And then, the sharks...

holy shit. i thought maybe UCLA had to cut back because of the budget crisis. but that wouldn't make sense if cal is being so generous. why the major discrepancy?

I do not think discrepancy has nothing to do with budget fluctuations. I'm pretty sure UCLA's funding packages are quite a bit worse then Cal's in any year. UCLA does not even fund all students. I think funding packages have to do with the University's standing in the CA legislature (not as good for anyone else as it is for Berkeley), percentage of faculty with grants, and a number of other things.

Although, SF is also more expensive than LA (though probably not THAT much more).

Hello all,

Another political theory lurker here, recently admitted to Duke with funding. Congrats to all who have received good news, and best wishes to those who have been disappointed or are still waiting. This is not an enviable process.

Hello all,

Another political theory lurker here, recently admitted to Duke with funding. Congrats to all who have received good news, and best wishes to those who have been disappointed or are still waiting. This is not an enviable process.

Hey, congrats!

Did your status change in their website?