PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am applying as a South Asia comparativist, and hoping to crack at least UCB, Stanford or PRinceton. So far very happy about UCB

I didn't apply to Berkeley as at first I was pretty sure I won't get in with my horrible undergrad grades. Later I had second thoughts but then I was not sure whether they accept 3-year British format Honors undergrad degrees from my country (like most North American grad schools). Also, it was way too late by then.

And I just broke down and called Princeton and their secretary told me acceptances go out end of Feb/beginning of March.

Thanks, good to know. Thanks for the Columbia update PolSci Guy, sounds like it'll be a while. Probably a couple more weeks to endure then.

Yes, still waiting. It seems those admitted yesterday were unfunded. Perhaps they are waiting to offer me a princely stipend. 8)

My email said they were "in the process of putting together a multi-year package in order to help fund your graduate study" and would send me specifics soon. I think someone else on the results page also got that email. Not sure what it means exactly, but it sounds like they are notifying both the funded and unfunded people. I wouldn't worry yet though; they seem to have a pretty big cohort and so far only a few people have posted news here.

My email said they were "in the process of putting together a multi-year package in order to help fund your graduate study" and would send me specifics soon. I think someone else on the results page also got that email. Not sure what it means exactly, but it sounds like they are notifying both the funded and unfunded people. I wouldn't worry yet though; they seem to have a pretty big cohort and so far only a few people have posted news here.

I got that email too.

I think I got the first Friday the 13th rejection. I'm officialy not admitted to Wisconsin.

Awww that really sucks for you!

I've been following your posts for a bit now as we seem to have quite similar profiles. I don't know much about Wisconsin, but do you feel that you had a good match with the Faculty over there?

I spoke to someone on the committee at Michigan today and they said they usually admit 3 people for every 1 spot they want to fill, I'd assume its roughly the same or other schools. Which isn't actually that interesting but its a slow day/week so I'm clinging to any information I get.

Awww that really sucks for you!

I've been following your posts for a bit now as we seem to have quite similar profiles. I don't know much about Wisconsin, but do you feel that you had a good match with the Faculty over there?

I definitely felt that I had strong matches at Wisconsin. Given that I didn't get good news from them when everyone was accepted, this isn't too big of a surprise. That said, I thought Wisc. was a good match and a place I would have been happy, so I really thought I'd get in there.

Jackassjim: Congrats on your acceptances. It looks like you have some fun choices to make.

For the other poster: The letter was dated Feb. 10th and postmarked Feb 11th.

Also someone said something about Northwestern starting today and continuing into next week.

That was me informing about the Northwestern admits. I was told by the grad program assistant that they will start notifying later today and continue to next week. Maybe it's not too late? Or maybe they have called it quits for good and will start afresh with the notifications on monday?

I definitely felt that I had strong matches at Wisconsin. Given that I didn't get good news from them when everyone was accepted, this isn't too big of a surprise. That said, I thought Wisc. was a good match and a place I would have been happy, so I really thought I'd get in there.

Jackassjim: Congrats on your acceptances. It looks like you have some fun choices to make.

For the other poster: The letter was dated Feb. 10th and postmarked Feb 11th.

Yeah, I just looked at the faculty list and it is quite strong. That's too bad.

Thanks for the words, but unfortunately, I am affected by the dreaded "two-body" problem, and my spouse was not as lucky as I in this cycle. Looks like one of the only places I could for sure go is Michigan...