PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Funding came through for Rutgers - 19k plus health etc!

Congrats!! Does your name means international applicant No. 1?

Lol - just had a brain blank when they asked for a user name....

I am STILL waiting on Virginia...seems crazy. Anyone else still waiting want to contact them? I did late last week but didn't get much information. :?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but I have a bad feeling about NWU, for those of us who are still waiting. I can't imagine, given their visit dates, that they can really afford to wait to make decisions much longer.

I hate to say it, but I have a bad feeling about NWU, for those of us who are still waiting. I can't imagine, given their visit dates, that they can really afford to wait to make decisions much longer.

I'm with you, plisar. It's in the "unofficial yet undoubtedly on its way" rejection pile, along with Berkeley and Chicago.

I just called UNC, they said they haven't finished sending out the acceptances, "we've only sent out six [laugh]" but they hope to send the rest out "by the end of this month" they're just waiting to see how many they can support.

This is absolutely true (I have confirmed that number with two different sources), but I think the person you were speaking with is downplaying the significance of the funding issue...

Does anyone know when Georgetown and GW are expected to send out news? Also, does anyone know how many acceptances and what type of funding situations each is offering?

These two will probably be early-to-mid-March. Unfortunately, Georgetown and GW are notoriously bad with funding--very few Ph.D. students are admitted with funding and I'm not aware if that situation improves once a student matriculates.

I just called UNC, they said they haven't finished sending out the acceptances, "we've only sent out six [laugh]" but they hope to send the rest out "by the end of this month" they're just waiting to see how many they can support.

This is very encouraging news. I don't really expect to get in (especially taking into account plisar's info), but at least I can still keep hoping for another week or two. Thanks for being courageous and calling, scintille.

The next step scintille, is to break into your school's admissions office (a top five program) and sabotage files. Then people on this message board can bid to have you save theirs. I'll start, $5.

I'm with you, plisar. It's in the "unofficial yet undoubtedly on its way" rejection pile, along with Berkeley and Chicago.

I'm glad we're all equally pessimistic. I'm counting myself out of the running for Chicago, Northwestern and Penn at this point. Looks like I won't have too hard a decision to make this spring.

Also, I've heard from a friend at UNC that they'll only have funding for six, and that they're going back and forth with the graduate school about it.

Confirmed, I have heard the same thing. I was simply asked not to repeat it, but I don't see any harm at this point.

I'm glad we're all equally pessimistic. I'm counting myself out of the running for Chicago, Northwestern and Penn at this point. Looks like I won't have too hard a decision to make this spring.

Duke is fabulous! Even if you don't have a choice, a good choice will be made for you! However, I wouldn't lose hope on your remaining schools just yet.

I've given up hope on Chicago and I'm very pessimistic about NWU. Maybe I should give up on TAMU as well? I'm tempted to add more schools in the 'reject' list of my signature.

I'm very pessimistic about Chicago and NWU. Maybe I should be pessimistic about TAMU as well? I'm tempted to add more schools in the 'reject' list of my signature.

As my advisor says constantly: a reject isn't a reject until the letter is in your hand. Until then, you are allowed to have some hope!

As my advisor says constantly: a reject isn't a reject until the letter is in your hand. Until then, you are allowed to have some hope!

Yeah, man. That's what keeping me from changing my signature.

The UNC website says that around 15 students enroll in a typical year. Going from 15 to 6 is quite a crunch. I'm not at all offended if I don't get in under circumstances that desperate.

Well even if they have fewer spots open, that would still mean they should admit around 20 people to make sure they get the number they want. So if they've only sent out 6 so far that means there should be more coming. Unless those six have all already accepted which seems doubtful.

I heard somewhere that NW issues decisions at different times based on subfield. For example, that as of a week or so ago theory decisions had been made but comparative and IR are still ongoing. Does anyone know anything that can confirm or refute this?

I heard somewhere that NW issues decisions at different times based on subfield. For example, that as of a week or so ago theory decisions had been made but comparative and IR are still ongoing. Does anyone know anything that can confirm or refute this?

I really don't think that anyone can do either. There seems to be few sources out of Northwestern, but given that their visit is likely within two weeks, it seems EXTREMELY late for this program to still be making decisions.

This time last year Michigan started giving out notices. Think today will be the day?

HIGHLY unlikely, I'm afraid, as much as I would like to hear back from them as well. As has been stated before, Michigan is extraordinarily behind with their decision making process. I'd be surprised if we hear back this week, and to-be-honest, if everything I've heard on this issue is correct--next week may be a stretch as well.