PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Princeton people - is this the Political Science PhD or WWS?

Still nothing at all from anyone for me including UPenn. Good to know Columbia is on the brink, hopefully I'll finally hear something other than complete radio silence.

Princeton people - is this the Political Science PhD or WWS?

Still nothing at all from anyone for me including UPenn. Good to know Columbia is on the brink, hopefully I'll finally hear something other than complete radio silence.

Politics PhD for me

I must say that I hate this practice of sending out either acceptances or rejections, but not both...Why not just save the decisions somewhere and then push that button to send out all news...Now I am 99% sure of being rejected by Princeton unless I hear very soon, but why not make it 100% and let me go on.. :x

Hey fellow Princeton applicants...

(This is my first post on The Grad Cafe)

I've enjoyed reading these threads like a crazed, impatient hopeful for grad school acceptance. :| It's good to know I'm not the only one checking my email every 3-5 minutes in hope of getting a glorious message from Princeton. Haven't felt this way since applying for undergrad back in 1991 (yeah, I'm an old guy).

Please keep writing in and let me know if you get in. Even if I don't, I'm glad to hear of your acceptance!

Does anyone know if they slow-leak the email acceptance notifications, or if it's an e-blast?

If it's the latter, I'm toast.

Hope this doesn't hurt any feelings, but I would like to see them e-blast friggin everything from acceptance to waitlist to rejection to where-was-your-application. They should just make it happen ceremoniously in one big fat 'Decision-day'. Though if that were the case, gradcafe.com would be much less popular.

Does anyone have any info on Georgetown, GW and Notre Dame? Just curious becuase the three schools have been awefully quiet thus far. Any info on when the adcomms are meeting or when the notifcations are due would be helpful. Thanks!

Notre Dame admincom is meeting on Friday, from a direct source.

I don't like the way they do things, but I understand why they have to...to a degree. I would like a little more communication though. I don't think it would kill them send a mass email to those still in limbo that simply states they have begun sending out notifications, are still evaluating some applicants and an estimated completion date. As of now I haven't anything and at this rate, I might not hear a peep out of the schools until April. My job requires quite a bit of notice (several months) so I need to know if I have to get that process rolling. Uggghhh

Hope this doesn't hurt any feelings, but I would like to see them e-blast friggin everything from acceptance to waitlist to rejection to where-was-your-application. They should just make it happen ceremoniously in one big fat 'Decision-day'. Though if that were the case, gradcafe.com would be much less popular.

Well, not to be mean (especially since I seem to have not gotten into two of my three), departments have much more of an incentive to email the people they want to admit than the ones they don't. They have to prioritize.

I don't like the way they do things, but I understand why they have to...to a degree. I would like a little more communication though. I don't think it would kill them send a mass email to those still in limbo that simply states they have begun sending out notifications, are still evaluating some applicants and an estimated completion date. As of now I haven't anything and at this rate, I might not hear a peep out of the schools until April. My job requires quite a bit of notice (several months) so I need to know if I have to get that process rolling. Uggghhh

Yeah i completely agree... whats the harm in sending out all acceptance and rejections out at the same time... :mrgreen:

Well, not to be mean (especially since I seem to have not gotten into two of my three), departments have much more of an incentive to email the people they want to admit than the ones they don't. They have to prioritize.

Well, it's not like you picked three safeties. A lot of people would come up 0 for 3 shooting HCP, so congrats on the successful execution.

On the successful execution of not getting in? Gee, thanks champ. Go...

Sorry.

When you posted above that you were 2 down, I thought you were implying that you had gotten 1 admit. Which given the high caliber of your choices, would have been impressive alone. I didn't mean the offense, I really did think there was something to congratulate you on. Hopefully, there will be when decision 3 comes along.

I think Columbia may email decisions tomorrow. They have notified for the past couple of years on the third Friday in Feb. And the committee met today...

:D i hope so.. Columbia is the only school i really have a shot at considering i did my MA there...

Notre Dame admincom is meeting on Friday, from a direct source.

That'd be much earlier than in years past if they got back next week to people. And Friday doesn't necessarily mean that it will be their last meeting or that they will get back to people next week even if it is, right?

Sorry.

When you posted above that you were 2 down, I thought you were implying that you had gotten 1 admit. Which given the high caliber of your choices, would have been impressive alone. I didn't mean the offense, I really did think there was something to congratulate you on. Hopefully, there will be when decision 3 comes along.

Sure thing, no worries, just a matter of misinterpretation. You're right, I was shooting pretty high, guess I have to wait for Harvard.

That'd be much earlier than in years past if they got back next week to people. And Friday doesn't necessarily mean that it will be their last meeting or that they will get back to people next week even if it is, right?

Yes, correct. I don't know when letters will be mailed, I'll try to find out from my source.

EDIT - My post wasn't so clear. So far as I understand, the final meeting is Friday, but not sure when letters will follow.

For those such as myself who need a reason to feel better about getting rejected from a bunch of schools, I submit the following anonymous posts by PoliSci Job Rumors users who just returned from the ISA conference:

"ISA was light on rumors and gossip. Main issue being that there will be few grad school spots this year."

"Second the above post; I heard rumors that schools were contemplating not bringing in any grad students this year so they could have normal-sized classes next year."

It still sucks to be rejected, but let's keep things in perspective. This may actually be the worst year for grad school admissions EVER. Of course, this just makes it all the more impressive an accomplishment for those who got into top schools. To all those people (and there seems to be a lot of them on this board), congratulations are definitely order. For the rest of us, let's keep the hope alive. And even if we don't get into our top choices, we should be thankful for the schools that have given us a spot.