PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I'm waiting on Brown. Last year they notified accepted applicants by phone on the last Thursday of February. But I wonder whether their application deadline was as late last year as it is this year (February 2nd, 2009). Does anyone know?

Has anyone contacted the department today to see whether they're planning to notify at the same time this year as they did last year?

Someone posted a few weeks ago that Sharon Krause said the first week of March. But that may be when all applicants hear, not just those accepted.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into MIT, but am waitlisted for funding. Is it appropriate to call about one's position on the waitlist? So far I have a far more financially attractive offer from Cornell, but working with Posen would be sweet. Thoughts?

I would definately not make any hasty decisions of scrapping MIT, even if you don't get funding. There are still funding options out there which may be much easier once you are admitted. If MIT is you top choice, make it happen!

btw.. of those of you that got into MIT and Harvard, are you americans or internationals? do they admitt internationals at the same time as americans? So far, I've only seen A's on the result board for MIT...

I'm an American studying comparative politics. I got a two year fellowship, but nothing guaranteed after that.

It would be exciting to work with an institution so closely connected to Harvard's center for European studies.

It would be interesting to know if they indeed contact the Americans in one round, and perhaps internationals in another. Although it would perhaps make most sense to do it all at once. Although funding might be allocated differently... Thoughts?

I just got an email from Nancy Rosenblum saying I'm wait listed at Harvard!

"I cannot make you a definite offer of admission at this time. Thus, we are placing your name on a very short wait list of exceptional candidates that we would like to admit to the program, if permitted, in the coming weeks."

Sounds like maybe they're hoping for funding to open up to admit a few more (or maybe they just phrase with that "if permitted" but it's still just a normal wait list...)--I'm going to email back and see what details they're able to offer. Exciting news either way.

So....any IR folks who got into Harvard but are planning on turning it down? :wink:

Still no NW decision over here.

I emailed and they said that decisions (the rejections I'm guessing) would start to be posted early next week. It seems like they have an internal waitlist that they'll fulfill spots from if people turn down the original offers.

Natofone, you rock. I'm too cowardly myself to contact any of the departments I've yet to hear from (actually, more specifically, I'm still gun-shy from last year when I contacted the only two programs to which I applied and received bad news from both).

No package from MIT, so there's another rejection... Nothing from Georgetown... This blows. Very disappointing.

I went to my therapist yesterday and spent half the damn session talking about this crap. Then I got pissed on the way home because I realized that if I hadn't gone to therapy in the past year, I could almost afford the Kaplan GRE course, which, apparently, would have been a whole lot more useful.

Congratulations to everyone who is receiving good news this week! I'm holding out hope that Georgetown isn't done notifying.