panadelias

I am a little OCD, but I hear that many people who choose to become SLP's are that way also! so I though you might like this check off list I made and I have already added everything to my calendar on my ipad, which syncs with my google calendar.

Each university is different, so double check everything with information in your graduate student handbook.

1st year grad students: Fall 2011

BEFORE CLASSES START

o Make sure your ASHA membership is current or become a new member

o Buy a parking permit

o Drop paper work off if you have a documented disability

o Make sure your Tuberculosis (TB) test has been done within the last year

o Network! These are valuable place to ask questions, receive tips, and have 24/7 SLP support

· Join
on Facebook
· Join
on Facebook
· Join slpeeps on
or
· Join
on Linked In

o Bookmark these websites and read the articles monthly
· The
magazine
·
blog

During the semester

o Ask about the student malpractice form and if you will need it this semester

o Register & take 2 Praxis exams required by PDA (if not now, do this by next semester)

· PPST Praxis I series: Reading #10710; Math 10730; Writing #20720
· Praxis II #30511 Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge test

When classes end

o Track & document the acquisition of knowledge and skills on your own KASA copy. Your advisor will have an official copy, however it is smart to keep up with your own just in case the main document is lost or there are discrepancies.

·

o Log your clinical practicum hours.
· It is each student’s responsibility to maintain formal documentation of his or her earned clinical contact hours on or off campus. The form used for this purpose is different for each university. Ask your professors where you can obtain a form. Two copies of the form must be signed by the affiliation supervisor and by the student. One copy of the form must be retained by the student and another copy must be placed in the student’s academic file.
  • Remember you must earn a total of 400 clock hours of clinical practicum in order to qualify for the M.A. degree and apply for their CCC’s. Up to 25 of these hours can be clinical observation hours earned during your undergrad degree and the other 375 must be earned in direct client/patient contact.

• Click
    about clinical practicum hours and go to page 4

o Update and post your resume. It may seem early to do this but recruiters are always looking and companies are desperate enough to snatch students up 2 years in advance
    2nd year grad students: Fall 2011

BEFORE CLASSES

o Make sure your ASHA membership is current
    o Buy a parking permit
    o Drop paper work off if you have a documented disability
    o Make sure your Tuberculosis (TB) test has been done within the last year
    o Complete 3 Clearances
    ·
    - link for PA
    ·
    – link for PA
    ·
    - link for PA

During the semester

fill out the student malpractice form
    When classes end

o Track & document the acquisition of knowledge and skills on your own KASA copy.
    o Log your clinical practicum hours.
    o Update your resume, then resend it to companies that you have applied to or start applying for jobs now

• Read this article titled Making Sense of (and Choosing) the Best Settings and Terms for You

click here to read more topics at my blog at

• 2 weeks later...