Programs with no/flexible course requirements

Hello, Grad Cafe. ^_^ I did some sleuthing on the literature boards and was unable to find a topic like this, so I decided to start my own. I apologize if a thread like this already exists.

Anyways, my question is this: what programs do you know of that have either very flexible course requirements or no requirements at all? As I am parsing out my research interests, I am beginning to narrow my focus towards more progressive and interdisciplinary programs. Granted, literature departments in general encourage interdisciplinarity, but I'm searching for those that go above and beyond, so to speak, the norm.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. I'm interested in both explicitly interdisciplinary programs and traditional literature programs that strongly encourage interdisciplinarity.

Here are some flexible/interdisciplinary programs of which I am cognizant:

Cornell

Washington University in St. Louis

UC Berkeley (Rhetoric)

Chicago

SUNY Buffalo

Stanford (Modern Thought and Literature)

UC Santa Cruz (History of Consciousness)

Johns Hopkins (Intellectual History)

I can personally tell you that SUNY Buffalo is extremely flexible. We just had our PhD orientation last week, and met with the DGS. Basically, you can take anything you want. There have been graduates of the English PhD program who have taken Comp Lit classes almost exclusively. Also, there doesn't seem to be any pressure to concentrate on a particular time period. You can do self-directed reading, get credit for student-run study groups, and can take lit classes extensively rather than intensively (you do the reading but don't write a final paper). If you want to have a minor field, just take two related classes and you've got one. The only thing the program seems to ask for is that you justify (in writing) the choices you make in terms of classes, and have the self-control/capacity to create a cohesive focus for orals/dissertations.

I know I didn't provide you with any new options, but if you ever have questions about UB, I'll help you out.

The Comp Lit program at UT Austin is very flexible. I've heard about someone who manage to get credits for accounting classes (since they were relevant to her project). There is no pressure to focus on a single period and they encourage you to try out many things (neurocriticism, digital literacy, etc.) Except for the languages requirements, the only mandatory class is a theory course.

Research degrees in the UK don't require coursework. If you have a clearly defined project, you might to look into that.

Edited by Alephantiasis

Hey there - Vanderbilt has only one "required" course for PhD students which is a "Professionalization Seminar." Other than that you have complete autonomy over your coursework, and in fact, they highly encourage students to take seminars outside the department. Offically, you can take 3 courses in other departments without needing special permission beforehand, and more as long as you clear it with the dgs. Courses outside the department that are crosslisted with English (which are offered essentially every semester) do not count toward your 3 courses. Essentially everyone I know in this program has taken coursework outside the department, including myself. In addition to this, to foster interdisciplinarity, Vandy requires you to have at least one reader on your committee who is from outside the English department.

Hey there - Vanderbilt has only one "required" course for PhD students which is a "Professionalization Seminar." Other than that you have complete autonomy over your coursework, and in fact, they highly encourage students to take seminars outside the department. Offically, you can take 3 courses in other departments without needing special permission beforehand, and more as long as you clear it with the dgs. Courses outside the department that are crosslisted with English (which are offered essentially every semester) do not count toward your 3 courses. Essentially everyone I know in this program has taken coursework outside the department, including myself. In addition to this, to foster interdisciplinarity, Vandy requires you to have at least one reader on your committee who is from outside the English department.

I didn't know that Vanderbilt was that interdisciplinary. Thanks for the info!

but I'm searching for those that go above and beyond

I am on the same situation. I am looking for a Comparative Literature program that will allow me to take plenty of Film School classes (such as Screenwriting).

Any ideas????

I appreciate the help!

Edited by Mar_CR