Resume Vs. CV for Grad School

I have a bit of confusion that I am hoping to clear up. All the research I have done online regarding resumes for graduate school indicate that you should write a CV as opposed to a resume. Most of the programs I am applying to specifically say to submit a resume, not a CV. So by "resume" do they actually mean a CV, or do they mean that you should submit a resume similiar to what you would submit to apply for a job? I am applying for master's in counseling programs. Thanks!

I think it depends. Doctoral programs that are highly academic in nature will absolutely want a CV, whereas a lot of professional M.A. programs will want to see related work experience, and thus a resume would be more appropriate.

In your case, given your area of study and the explicit requests for a resume, I'd say a resume is the right choice.

Anyone know about preferred resume length? For job apps, one page is preferred but I don't know if that is different for schools. I have a lot of undergrad volunteer work that I would like to mention and these experiences will require a lot of space on my already crowded (but visually appealing) one page resume.

Anyone know about preferred resume length? For job apps, one page is preferred but I don't know if that is different for schools. I have a lot of undergrad volunteer work that I would like to mention and these experiences will require a lot of space on my already crowded (but visually appealing) one page resume.

For a CV, you won't be restricted on length--if you have enough publications, conference presentation, professional memberships, awards, teaching experience, etc. to rack up four or five pages in your CV, by all means show it off rather than condensing to one page. A former professor of mine's CV currently runs to 25pp!(which, if you're interested, you can view via his website here: http://www.amitavakumar.com/?page_id=159)

I don't know about a resume, though.

• 2 weeks later...

What if you have a lot of work experience AND some publications/conferences?

I'm glad somebody asked this question, as I've been wondering about it too. My jobs have all been industry research jobs and would fit in a CV. My main concern with a CV vs a resume is that resumes usually describe what you did at each job, and CVs don't. But CVs are more academia-oriented, and contain other info that resumes don't.