Do professors for LOR get mad if you apply to too many schools?

mj53

Im planning on applying to 14 schools this year. Im pretty much taking one last shot at getting back into school and want to apply to as many as possible so that's why Im applying to so many.

Has anyone ever had a professor who agreed to write LOR for you get upset about having too many? This kind of worries me cause Im pretty limited with the people I can get to write me LOR and I dont want to have to cut my list down.

You certainly wouldn't be the first to apply to 14 schools, BUT you shouldn't apply just to apply in the hopes of getting in somewhere, anywhere - this is the easiest way to get rejected. Instead, focus on applying to schools that fit well with your goals and apply to a range of schools (reach, solid, safety).

Also, I wouldn't worry about upsetting your professors. Writing LORs comes with the job, and you'll find that most will ask you how many schools you're applying to before agreeing (and if they don't, you should tell them). Some professors will also ask to see your writing sample and SOP so that they can better prepare their LOR. Hope this helps, and good luck!

you'll make it easier if you're organized:

1. Give them plenty of notice--like six weeks.

2. Provide a CV, transcript, and copy of your statement of purpose.

3. Give a clear list with something like: School name, program name, application date, and instructions (e.g., some universities want the writer to sign across the flap, others want the writer to mail it directly). You could even write a one-sentence blurb about each school, like why you find it appealing or who you intend to work with.

4. Provide pre-addressed envelopes.

5. If there is a form to fill out in addition to the letter, complete it as much as you can first (e.g., name, address, program info).

...your letter writers will be in a better mood if they know exactly what to do and don't have to write the school's address 14 times.

ETA: I applied at 11 places and nobody remarked on it.

Edited by lewin00

you'll make it easier if you're organized:

1. Give them plenty of notice--like six weeks.

2. Provide a CV, transcript, and copy of your statement of purpose.

3. Give a clear list with something like: School name, program name, application date, and instructions (e.g., some universities want the writer to sign across the flap, others want the writer to mail it directly). You could even write a one-sentence blurb about each school, like why you find it appealing or who you intend to work with.

4. Provide pre-addressed envelopes.

5. If there is a form to fill out in addition to the letter, complete it as much as you can first (e.g., name, address, program info).

...your letter writers will be in a better mood if they know exactly what to do and don't have to write the school's address 14 times.

ETA: I applied at 11 places and nobody remarked on it.

+1

I applied to 12 schools and no one cared about it. They did like having all the information for each school in one big excel sheet though :)

yea I really can't see a professor getting mad... I mean, they were grad students once, they might have applied to 10+ schools. and 14 is not an absurd number anyways.

but yes give them an organized envelope of all the material they need: I think when I was applying, I printed a full list, with deadlines of all the schools and program, as well as address or instructions on electronic submission. I printed a copy of my cv, a writing sample, and later dropped off stamped envelopes as the turn in date was near (profs will almost ALWAYS procrastinate this).

make the work minimal for them so they don't have to worry about anything other than write the letter. the better they feel about writing a letter for you the better it will be. Professors are not immune to emotions in their judgment.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about advisors applying to 10 schools. Most of them especially prior to the 1990s didn't have the fierce competition for spots like we do now. My advisor, a brilliant guy, maybe only applied to 3 schools, and got into all 3 in the 1980s. Times have changed a lot for the grad school app process.

Also, don't consider that your safety will necessarily be a "safety." I didn't get into any of my safeties, but rather got several other offers from schools that were a strong fit. So worry less about the admission stats for each school to control your picks, and rather look at advisor matches and department matches that look like the best research fit.

Most profs won't mind you applying to more than 10. All my letter writers and psych profs I talked to encouraged applying more to 10, especially when you find out that programs only accept 4-6% of the applicants.