babel123 Posted September 7, 2011 Share Posted September 7, 2011 (edited) Hello, My advisor is switching university to a different country. I have already made a defense of my PHD proposal after about 2 + 3/4 years so it is not easy for me to decide if to go with him or stay at my current university. He said he would take me, and that I will not be forced to take coursework at this new university, and that he has funds too. The university is higher ranked than the one I am in now. But my current university is in US and the new one is in Canada. If I stay at my current university I may be able to finish my thesis by myself in about 3 semesters. i.e having him as an external advisor. But it puts a lot of pressure on me to do much work, and also look for a job at the same time. As you know it is not easy to find a job nowadays. I am not a US citizen so I need to get a job to stay here which I do want to. I am in a great dilemma changing my decision every day. Please give me your suggestions to help me make up my mind. I need to tell him in a week or two. I would also like to delete this thread once I get some answers for privacy reasons. Edit: He also said I will need to make a new proposal at the new university (basically the same presentation that I already made). A semester has passed since then. If possible I would like to get my degree from the US university. Honestly I don't mind finishing it at the new university in Canada if I get a the US degree, but that may not be possible at all. Am I being naive (stupid) to pass a chance to get a degree from a higher ranked university even though it is in Canada ? Please be honest. Thank you in advance. Edited September 7, 2011 by babel123 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now