Do admission committies think negatively of a student who takes five years to get a bachelors?

rhapsody24

I don't feel like I have too much research experience, so I am thinking about postponing graduation for another year. In terms of coursework, don't really need to, I could graduate this summer, 2012. I am curious if graduate schools considering applications think poorly of students who take an additional year? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

As someone who transferred a couple of times and completed their B.A. in 5 years, I also shared the same concern. I researched it quite a bit a couple of months back and the overwhelming consensus is that it's nothing to worry about. Everyone has different circumstances; 5 years isn't a big deal at all.

I did the same thing -- took a 60% courseload my last two years so I could RA more (and, you know, pay for my apartment) which stretched it into five years. Worked out fine.

^ I'd include an addendum only if you had gaps in your education, such as withdrawals or time off. You can be as vague as possible in that explanation.

Otherwise, I wouldn't call attention to it unless there's a question on the app that specifically asks you to provide explanations for anything "non-traditional" about your academic history (as the Harvard app does).

I think as long as it's apparent that you were working hard and gaining something the entire time, it's not that big of a deal.

For instance- in your case, you're sticking around to gain research experience.

I took 5 years to graduate, as did several others in my cohort- most of us did it for the extra year of research experience, and I think it put our applications in a lot better stead. A year is a lot of research!

My wife took 7 years (and did two degrees), and she didn't have it come up during her application (to answer your question about longer than 5 years).

I think it's just important that they see constant improvement/work being done throughout.