Do you use a computer to take notes while studying?

nehs

I'm thinking if I should start using my laptop(the onenote in the MS office suite is so nice!) or stick to handwritten notes. Hand written notes feel like more 'cementing' to me but laptop seems a more organized method. I would not need to take these notes to class. Its just for my reference. your thoughts?

Depends what you're studying, and why.

For notes on articles as I read them, I use a computer about half the time and hand-written notes about half the time.

If I'm taking notes on articles for a publication (review article, intro to a paper, etc.) I find using a computer, and writing up a quick mini-review after I read it helps a lot with the writing process- it allows me to start getting down wording for how I want to talk about the paper, and allows me to much more quickly bang out a discussion of the papers flow, high points, low points, etc.

If I'm reading a paper for experimental details/designs, I usually take notes by hand, as they often include a lot more in the way of figures/schemes that I want to sketch out as I read. Although, I often go back later and write these up a bit more formally on the computer.

Having a hard-copy is nice, but at the same time hard copies tend to pile up on my desk/in my file cabinet, while digital copies all go in my dropbox, are well indexed and I can easily pull up from anywhere I have internet access. Digital copies are also much easier to adapt/use at a later date, give to someone else (undergrad, colleague, PI), as well as to back up.

When I was studying for classes, I always took notes by hand, and re-wrote them by hand- it helped me learn the material. Since I finished classes, I find using note-taking to learn the material isn't as important as using note-taking to document thoughts/ideas/summaries for later use after I've forgotten exactly what I was thinking. I find now it's more about managing and storing information than committing it to memory.

ktel , eigen - thank you.

I'm actually talking about notes while studying for an exam or notes while reading the text book. Sorry, I did not mention this earlier.

I have a list of text books for this semester and I was thinking of making my notes using the computer(one note to be specific). But, i've also realized that this process is more time taking! Ofcourse, the advantage is a neater looking document and no worry of paper/storage etc.

Thoughts?

For something like that, I'd take notes by hand as you're reading, and then go back and either re-write or type up the notes later on to re-organize/neaten them up.

It helps with the studying immediately by the physical writing of the info, but then also gets you organized digital copies to go back to later on.

FWIW, for studying, I used wirebound computation notebooks by Ampad <<LINK>> and green tinted engineering paper along with Sanford Expresso pens, medium point, black ink. As a left hander with poor penmanship, it was very hard to find the right combination of ink and paper. Overtime, my writing deteriorated and Sanford changed hands (and with it, the ink formula.) The latter meant that the black ink would become greenish over time. The former meant that I couldn't really read my notes anymore.

Along with the above, I used--and continue to use--Post its. (Size 1.5" by 2"). Generally, I'll get a multi color pack to code my use. (For example, pink for when I disagree with a point.) If I have a comment, I'll scrawl it on the post it before slapping it on a page.

When working in the private sector, I used Microsoft OneNote when it first came out. The 2007 version was a nice improvement but I don't know how comfortable I'd be using that program for academic applications. If you do go this route, please remember to back up your files regularly and to print out copies...just in case.

Over the last few years, I've used Moleskine square notebooks (both large and pocket sized). They're a nice size if one's holed up at a coffee house, the paper is of good quality, and the hard covered notebooks are well bound. (The soft covers, not so much.)

A change of topic. Nehs, I understand that you're apprehensive about the transition to graduate school and I appreciate and respect the steps your taking to be a successful student. That being said, I think it is important that you don't become so preoccupied with your concerns that you re-invent the wheel and fix what isn't broken.

Just my ink smeared two cents.

Edited by Sigaba

I find now it's more about managing and storing information than committing it to memory.

Truer words were never spoken. This was brought home to me the other day when I came across a citation in a paper that I recognized as one of mine (as 5th or 6th author, but still, it's def. on my CV), and found myself thinking, "I should really re-read that...I forget what it's about." B)

I type up annotations for papers that are really key for my work. As someone else mentioned, it helps me with memory and evaluating what, specifically, is useful for me about the paper. The practice helps me keep my writing skills sharp, and usually yields some good "stock" phrases I can use later.

I will probably type up notes as I read for my PhD coursework. I never did this in undergrad or my MS, but began the practice as a HS teacher - I would read and outline sections of our textbook, add supplemental stuff (pics, current events, questions, etc.), and then make my lessons and PowerPoints from there.

I would never attempt to use a normal laptop for notes of any kind. One cant do as much with a keyboard and standard pointing device.

That's a pretty broad generalization. I've seen directors, project managers, and product managers who work at software development firms who take notes with run of the mill Dell laptops. Just because some cannot simultaneously listen, point and click, and type at the same time doesn't mean that everyone else has those same limitations.

Edited by Sigaba

eigen - yes, i am also leaning more toward handwriting notes but retyping on a computer might take up more time. but, i think its better to do it. that way i can 'revisit' the material again.

sigaba - loved the notebook! currently i use a mead notebook ...here it is http://www.mead.com/meadstore/mwv/product/Flirty-FLORALS%26trade%3B-Notebook-80CT-college-ruled/07046?catId=&prodId=07046

one note is awesome, the 2010 version has even more features than 2007 but ,as u say, not sure how many of us wud be comfortable using it for studying.

do u think this topic is not so relevant then? hmm..may be you are right! i have tons of reading to catch up with. i should invest more time there :)

mandarin.orange - your idea sounds good especially if we ned to use those notes for a paper or for ap resentation. then it makes things really easy.

aaron - i too don't make any notes in class :D ..but at home, while reading, i have realized that only reading does not commit anything to my memory or understanding. it only gives me an overview of the chapter.

math has to be done with pen/pencil and paper if you don't have a stylus type laptop. everything else i do with my laptop if i can. this is completely a personal preference because:

1. i type faster than i write

2. i don't pay attention when i'm taking notes, meaning i don't remember the notes i take and while i'm taking notes i don't pay attention to what is being said. so doing it fast on the laptop allows me to read the information i'm typing and to participate in class discussion.

3. when i have to look back at my notes i can actually read it

4. in case classmates needs notes i can easily email them it instead of having to lend out my notebooks (time saver).