MSW: Future Career in Veteran's Affairs

footballfan90

I am applying for MSW programs this fall, and am looking for programs that would offer excellent curriculum and practicum experiences that would prepare me for a future career as a social worker with the United States Dept. of Veteran's Affairs.

My top choices thus far are: University of Washington (unfortunately very difficult to receive admission as an in-state student), University of Illinois at Chicago, Columbia University, CUNY-Hunter College, Fordham University, University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, and Portland State University (safety school).

To all past and present MSW students with personal experience or any information regarding MSW programs offering preparation for a career with the VA, I would be grateful for any advice! I am trying to find out what the typical concentration would be for an MSW student with these aspirations, any information about VA practicum experiences, what I should look for in a program, post-grad job availability, etc. I would be interested in finding out if anyone attended one of the schools mentioned in the previous paragraph, and suggestions for another MSW program with this emphasis. Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this topic. Anyone have information on available concentrations for students wanting to work with the VA/military/veteran population? VA practicum experience? etc

Several of my classmates are in second year clinical practicum placements at the VA. From what I can tell, there are opportunities in a lot of different programs, including counseling, inpatient psychiatric treatment, assertive community treatment, substance abuse treatment, medical social work, and various other opportunities. I'm a little less sure about macro/administrative placements within the VA. I'm also not sure whether anyone gets first year placements there -- I'm inclined to think not. If I were interested in a VA placement, I would try to get field experience and take courses involving issues that commonly impact veterans -- substance abuse, homelessness, PTSD, etc. 

Since it is also my goal to be able to work with military members, families, vets etc.. I looked into this as well.   I saw a few MSW programs that have a military focus, (USC comes to mind) but my state school does not.   So when I went there to take a tour of the program I asked about their practicums.   They had several paid practicums (and scholarships) and a few unpaid practicums at the local VA.   When I mentioned my previous experience working with active duty, and that I wouldn't mind working with that population again as well -- they told me that they also had 2nd year practicums on the local military base.  

I guess the level of concentration really depends on how much you know or don't already know about the military culture?

I don't know much about the schools you're applying to as it relates to veteran work... but one of the schools I'm applying to has a specific fellowship for students interested in working with military families. If such exists at any of the schools you've looked into, it may be something to consider.

I don't know much about the schools you're applying to as it relates to veteran work... but one of the schools I'm applying to has a specific fellowship for students interested in working with military families. If such exists at any of the schools you've looked into, it may be something to consider.

If you don't mind me asking, which of the schools you are applying to offers such a fellowship?

For those who are still looking for a program with this concentration, Catholic University of America offers a Clinical Military Social Work concentration. They have an agreement with the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in addition to the VA. It seems to be a pretty decent program from what I've seen on their website.

Has anyone else looked into CUA?