Fall 2012

cefran

Congrats, Lolita! Yeah, for me, the recommendation letters are the most harrowing aspect of applying, just because I don't have much control over that besides poking my recommenders on occasion and trying not to be obnoxious about it.

EmilyChopin and bellelupin: Nope, I think it was one of the ones for which all applicants are automatically considered. I found out when the chair of the department gave me a call the week I was notified about my acceptance (being another first gen kid, I assumed it was just a courtesy call!). Otherwise I've been getting all of my notifications via e-mail.

I did a phone interview for the GA Crew last week, too; I think we should be hearing back in the next few days? I haven't heard from any advisors, though.

Mid-April, okay, that's not so far away, is it? ::obsessively refreshes inbox::

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swils, you've heard from Simmons? Awesome! I haven't heard yet, but when I called, they said the committee was voting on my application this week, whatever that means. Have you heard anything about the scholarships from Simmons? Also, is anyone else waiting for the fellowship application info to be updated? Ha.

I heard back from the UW-Seattle this past Sunday, and was happy to hear I got accepted into their online program. I haven't heard about scholarships or anything. Has anyone else heard back, or know when we're suppose to find out?

I only applied to UW-Seattle and Simmons, so we'll see. Anyone else heading to either of those schools? And congrats, everyone!

Yeah, I just heard about financial aid, and it was... not good. It was basically "Hey, sure, you can borrow 20,000 from the government. But keep in mind that we cost 40,000." Gah! That's currently my top choice, so I'm not writing it off yet, but man. I don't know if I can swing that.

Yeah, I just heard about financial aid, and it was... not good. It was basically "Hey, sure, you can borrow 20,000 from the government. But keep in mind that we cost 40,000." Gah! That's currently my top choice, so I'm not writing it off yet, but man. I don't know if I can swing that.

I have the same problem. But don't forget work study and getting aid your second semester or second year.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard from Simmons? And yeah, I'm worried about their financial aid... or lack thereof, is what it sounds like.

Emily and postapocalypso, have you heard back about the GA Crew yet? The more time goes on, the more I worry! But that's prolly just me. And yeah, I think you're right... it may be after the decision deadline that we get information about financial aid and/or other scholarships, etc. Although, I dunno! Haha... talk about obsessively refreshing my inbox!

Anyways, good luck and congrats everyone!

Am I the only one who hasn't heard from Simmons? And yeah, I'm worried about their financial aid... or lack thereof, is what it sounds like.

Emily and postapocalypso, have you heard back about the GA Crew yet? The more time goes on, the more I worry! But that's prolly just me. And yeah, I think you're right... it may be after the decision deadline that we get information about financial aid and/or other scholarships, etc. Although, I dunno! Haha... talk about obsessively refreshing my inbox!

Anyways, good luck and congrats everyone!

You probably know already, but I got an email today saying the positions had been filled.

Thanks Emily & postapocalypso! I found out about the position too, and I'm just glad to know. Thanks! Now I know for sure I'm accepting my offer to the UW. See y'all in the fall!

good luck and congrats, everyone!

Cheetos, I applied to UNC in November and heard back at the begining of March. I know the deadline was March 15 but I wanted my application in by December 15 so I would be considered for financial aid.

Looking at boards last year I think people were finding out as late as May.

Hey future/potential U. of Washington students, if you haven't already, create a UW Net ID or whatnot. I called yesterday and was told that financial aid packages had been posted there for all incoming iSchool students. Word of advice: regulate your heartbeat before you look. I was foolishly optimistic about my funding prospects, as I made next to nothing last year, but alas, reality cares not for incomes.

It looks like I'll be relying mostly on unsubsidized federal loans. I'm trying to decide whether I should basically live on loans for the first year, keep work to a minimum, and hope to earn stellar grades to attract scholarships my second year, or if I should just work my ass off to at least pay back the interest while in school and risk getting less-than-amazeballs grades. Which might hurt my career options? :(

Hey future/potential U. of Washington students, if you haven't already, create a UW Net ID or whatnot. I called yesterday and was told that financial aid packages had been posted there for all incoming iSchool students. Word of advice: regulate your heartbeat before you look. I was foolishly optimistic about my funding prospects, as I made next to nothing last year, but alas, reality cares not for incomes.

It looks like I'll be relying mostly on unsubsidized federal loans. I'm trying to decide whether I should basically live on loans for the first year, keep work to a minimum, and hope to earn stellar grades to attract scholarships my second year, or if I should just work my ass off to at least pay back the interest while in school and risk getting less-than-amazeballs grades. Which might hurt my career options? :(

I got my package the other day too, and yep, unsubsidized loans.

Those loans, and if you have a Perkins loans, can be traded for work-study if you make a good case to the Financial Aid Office.

In library science experience is way more important than grades--so I'm planning to work in school.

My plan is to enroll for fall with what they gave me, try to get a job/TAship/scholarship, and then if that doesn't pan out, withdraw or take a leave of absence.

• 1 month later...

I did know about PSLF but had been mistakenly under the impression that 10 years was the cap for everyone and we'd be getting a shorter pay period. I don't know how I function in the real world sometimes. e_e;

I stumbled across this blog and have found this page incredibly helpful!hopeful: Student loans: my plan to graduate debt-free from grad school So far I've saved enough to pay back the interest on my loans (I think; math, like reality, is not my forte) and start making minimum payments. If anything, taking even baby steps on money management has made me feel better/less like succumbing to hysterical laughter in the corner.