Fall 2012

cefran

Great, thanks! I guess we are in opposite positions: Rutgers is one of my top 2 choices and I haven't heard from them and I live in NJ. So who knows...I heard from Buffalo 2 weeks ago and was accepted. Too bad we can't switch. Good luck!

I applied a little late for Buffalo, took a while for some of my materials. So I'm not worried.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone applied for a MLIS at Mcgill / heard anything yet? I've already been accepted to Dalhousie and the University of Toronto, and their deadlines are coming up fast, but Mcgill is my first choice.

I just got an acceptance letter from UofT. It's my dream school... I've wanted to be in Toronto forever. But the cost is so prohibitive that I don't think I can accept their offer. I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now.

ahh i am so jealous! i have been waiting on u of t for (what feels like) forever. i am super bitter that i haven't been told ANYTHING (especially since i applied about 2 months ago). i am now starting to freak out and assume that i've been rejected. how long did you have to wait until you heard?

isn't it outrageous how expensive u of t is? although you have to take into consideration the size of their library holdings, the access to archives / libraries and things like the thomas fisher rare book library. but still, so expensive. =(

Oh no! I moved March 1 and don't know if Rutgers mailed me an acceptance. Does anyone know if they've updated their website? Mine still says no decision.

Mine DID update. I'd call them.

It's nice to see some familiar school names on here!

So far, I've been accepted to Simmons College (found out today), Univeristy of Pittsburgh, and University of Iowa. I'm a little worried, though, because I will have visited Iowa and Pittsburgh, but I don't think I'll be able to make it out to Boston before I have to make a decision. What to do?!

I still have to hear from University of Wisconsin (Madison and Milwaukee) and St. Catherine University, but I've gotten into what I think are my top three, so I'm not too stressed about it. It might come down to aid. Blegh.

ahh i am so jealous! i have been waiting on u of t for (what feels like) forever. i am super bitter that i haven't been told ANYTHING (especially since i applied about 2 months ago). i am now starting to freak out and assume that i've been rejected. how long did you have to wait until you heard?

isn't it outrageous how expensive u of t is? although you have to take into consideration the size of their library holdings, the access to archives / libraries and things like the thomas fisher rare book library. but still, so expensive. =(

I submitted my application on February 15 and got the decision this morning (March 13). So, a little less than a month. I emailed the admissions officer last week; I'm not sure how much it helped to push things along, but I told her that I had an offer from another school that I had to respond to (true), so it might have helped. They did tell me that they hoped to start notifying applicants this week, though, so you'll probably hear something soon.

Good luck!

The cost is really outrageous -- double what the tuition will be if I go to the UofA. I know there are factors that play into this, but I am also considering the cost of living in Toronto and it scares me. If I stay here, I can live with family which will reduce the costs substantially. Then again, I'll be living with family again. ;) This is a really agonizing decision!

I heard today from Maryland. Recommendation for admission but waitlisted for the archives program. Feeling very stressed, as they want an answer by the 20th. I don't want to go if I don't get into the archives program! And I only have seven days to decide!

I submitted my application on February 15 and got the decision this morning (March 13). So, a little less than a month. I emailed the admissions officer last week; I'm not sure how much it helped to push things along, but I told her that I had an offer from another school that I had to respond to (true), so it might have helped. They did tell me that they hoped to start notifying applicants this week, though, so you'll probably hear something soon.

Good luck!

The cost is really outrageous -- double what the tuition will be if I go to the UofA. I know there are factors that play into this, but I am also considering the cost of living in Toronto and it scares me. If I stay here, I can live with family which will reduce the costs substantially. Then again, I'll be living with family again. ;) This is a really agonizing decision!

i've emailed laura a few times too -- i think she might have gotten fed up with me. her last email seemed sort of curt, and the first one didn't answer any of my questions at all. i really, really hope i hear this week.

to be honest, not hearing anything from u of t is making me think that going to uwo might not be so bad. but the program at u of t is what draws me in -- i really love its technological focus. really i am just kicking myself for not applying to ubc, where tuition is the same as an undergrad's and no statement of intent was needed. UGH.

why did you apply to u of t and not any other schools far from home?

I heard back from UW-Milwaukee on Feb. 29. I am desperately waiting for news from the other schools I applied to. UW-Madison told me they will respond closer to the end of March, and the other two have told me early April. I have no clue when I'll hear about funding. I am really hoping I can get into Madison with a good scholarship.

Does anyone know how much funding library schools usually award new students?

i've emailed laura a few times too -- i think she might have gotten fed up with me. her last email seemed sort of curt, and the first one didn't answer any of my questions at all. i really, really hope i hear this week.

to be honest, not hearing anything from u of t is making me think that going to uwo might not be so bad. but the program at u of t is what draws me in -- i really love its technological focus. really i am just kicking myself for not applying to ubc, where tuition is the same as an undergrad's and no statement of intent was needed. UGH.

why did you apply to u of t and not any other schools far from home?

My best friends live in Toronto and I've been toying with the idea of moving out there for years. It's probably not realistic right now, though. Applying at home was my fall back plan -- I actually really didn't expect to get in to UofT, and I knew that I could swing UofA. The bottom line for me is that I'm ready to start a program this year. It just feels like it's the right time, after a lot of soul searching for many years (I finished my undergrad in 2002). I knew how much UofT cost when I applied, of course, but it's only now that I've been admitted that it's become very, very real.

For what it's worth, one of my friends went to UWO -- not in the library program, though -- and she loved it. From what I gather, it's very much a "college town" sort of experience. She did her undergrad at UofT and really appreciated the way UWO felt more like a closed community. I don't know if that's important to you, though. As far as it not being as technologically based as UofT, can you augment your courses with more technology based ones as electives, perhaps from faculties outside FIMS?

I heard back from UW-Milwaukee on Feb. 29. I am desperately waiting for news from the other schools I applied to. UW-Madison told me they will respond closer to the end of March, and the other two have told me early April. I have no clue when I'll hear about funding. I am really hoping I can get into Madison with a good scholarship.

Does anyone know how much funding library schools usually award new students?

UW-Madison (according to their site) will have decisions by next week.

Oh no! I moved March 1 and don't know if Rutgers mailed me an acceptance. Does anyone know if they've updated their website? Mine still says no decision.

- Hello! Wondering if you had any updates on Rutgers website. I haven't heard anything yet :(

swils, you've heard from Simmons? Awesome! I haven't heard yet, but when I called, they said the committee was voting on my application this week, whatever that means. Have you heard anything about the scholarships from Simmons? Also, is anyone else waiting for the fellowship application info to be updated? Ha.

I heard back from the UW-Seattle this past Sunday, and was happy to hear I got accepted into their online program. I haven't heard about scholarships or anything. Has anyone else heard back, or know when we're suppose to find out?

I only applied to UW-Seattle and Simmons, so we'll see. Anyone else heading to either of those schools? And congrats, everyone!

Edited by bellelupin

I applied to Simmons. Its my last choice as I'd commute. (Half the point of this was to go somewhere else and meet people get connections etc.)

I've been wait listed for Seattle. I didn't apply for the online. (Don't care for online classes).

Simmons has very few scholarships/fellowships (doesn't it seem like every MLS program?) and I've applied for them but am not thinking I'll get them.

Without them I probably can't afford it. Simmons is very pricey, and it's an expensive city.

swils, you've heard from Simmons? Awesome! I haven't heard yet, but when I called, they said the committee was voting on my application this week, whatever that means. Have you heard anything about the scholarships from Simmons? Also, is anyone else waiting for the fellowship application info to be updated? Ha.

I heard back from the UW-Seattle this past Sunday, and was happy to hear I got accepted into their online program. I haven't heard about scholarships or anything. Has anyone else heard back, or know when we're suppose to find out?

I only applied to UW-Seattle and Simmons, so we'll see. Anyone else heading to either of those schools? And congrats, everyone!

I was accepted into the UW-Seattle residential program. It was my first choice and the only school I applied to, so I feel very lucky. I also have yet to hear about financial aid and I don't recall hearing anything about when we would hear. Soon, ideally.

Edited by EmilyChopin

Rutgers :D

Now to decide between Rutgers and Syracuse. I will be declining the offer from SUNY Buffalo - hope this helps someone.

No word on aid from anyone yet but Rutgers is in-state so it may have an edge. BUT I'm in LOVE with Syracuse's School Media Studies Program to assist students in High Needs Areas. So confused right now... :wacko:

I also want to add that I spoke to the Department administrator who said they will be sending out notifications until March 31st - so if you haven't heard anything yet, they will be sending them soon.

Edited by kkb4u

Hey, Emily! I was accepted to UW-Seattle's residential program as well, as I guess I'll meet you in a few short months! UW was also my first choice, so I'm super excited.

I've received a fellowship, but I'm still hoping to hear back re: need-based financial aid because it looks like the scholarship disqualifies me from accepting any TA/RA/GA positions, for which I've also applied. :mellow:

Hey, Emily! I was accepted to UW-Seattle's residential program as well, as I guess I'll meet you in a few short months! UW was also my first choice, so I'm super excited.

I've received a fellowship, but I'm still hoping to hear back re: need-based financial aid because it looks like the scholarship disqualifies me from accepting any TA/RA/GA positions, for which I've also applied. :mellow:

Hello! I haven't heard anything about TA/RA/GA positions, or scholarships. Is your fellowship outside the UW? If it isn't how did they let you know?

I'm first generation in every way, so a lot of times I feel like I don't know exactly what is going on with this process. But good to meet you! See you soon. : )

EmilyChopin and postapocalypso, congrats!!! And for the fellowship. I'm glad to talk with others accepted to the UW program. Awesome! And actually, I had the same questions as EmilyChopin about your fellowship? Oh did you or anyone else apply for the GA Crew assistanship or anything like that? I had a phone interview this week, but I'm not sure when they'll be making their final decision. I'd feel better if I wasn't the only one who hadn't heard back about the scholarships and financial aid, etc. I know what you mean about being first generation with all this! I'm hoping to move to Seattle, actually, but we'll see.

STG, good luck with everything! I totally understand about Boston, though I would sure love to live there.

Edited by bellelupin

EmilyChopin and postapocalypso, congrats!!! And for the fellowship. I'm glad to talk with others accepted to the UW program. Awesome! And actually, I had the same questions as EmilyChopin about your fellowship? Oh did you or anyone else apply for the GA Crew assistanship or anything like that? I had a phone interview this week, but I'm not sure when they'll be making their final decision. I'd feel better if I wasn't the only one who hadn't heard back about the scholarships and financial aid, etc. I know what you mean about being first generation with all this! I'm hoping to move to Seattle, actually, but we'll see.

STG, good luck with everything! I totally understand about Boston, though I would sure love to live there.

I applied for the GA crew but I haven't heard anything. I got a call from Marie Potter, the Academic Advisor, but when I tried to call her back I had to leave a message. I'm assuming if she wanted to interview me I would have heard back from her by now, so not sure what that was about.

I also talked to the financial aid office and they said for new grad students aid comes out around mid-April. I'm hoping before people have to make decisions!