History of Art - MA/PhD 2009

sydney

To the poster asking about GRE scores, I dont mind sharing mine. They wern't bad, wern't spectacular

660V 680Q 5.0A and I got into some very very top programs. (including the ivies) I promise you, GREs and even grades don't make your application by any stretch of the imagination. Recommendations are extremely extremely important along with your statement. If those aren't strong, they can sink any application with perfect scores.

Thanks! I remember reading somewhere that a 1300 was the minimum of acceptance, I can not for the life of me remember where, but at least this gives me a ballpark figure! I truly appreciate it! :)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know who asked the question regarding the Phd vs. MA.

I spoke with my department DGS about this specific situation just a few weeks ago and he explicitly told me to go straight for Phd, not MA, for a number of reasons, #1 (of course) being funding. Most MAs aren't funded, as we all know. However, he also stated that it looks better once you complete your schooling to have that Phd track, not a separate MA and then Phd. What his general opinion was that if you are accepted into a Phd program from undergrad, they kinda/sorta walk you through the process of researching (such as what the Abroad MA people were speaking about - it completely warps your view). Not only that, but some of the Phd tracks I've looked at say you HAVE to complete your masters eligibility before they even consider you "seriously" for the Phd track. Like, you have to submit your materials, make sure your GPA is right, and that you have your professors approval before you can honestly head towards your Phd.

Another reason why he suggested doing the Phd track, getting your MA in the process, is that he suggested beginning your thesis in order to help your dissertation. His school, JHU, didn't require him to do a thesis and he feels like he certainly missed out on a great opportunity to research for his dissertation.

What the Abroad MA people have said is considerable, but I mean, this could possibly be any kind of MA track program around. They are just specifically stating their lessons learned, although it is "different" from the norm - they are abroad while others are in the US. The MA, anywhere, is a different level of study and dedication than a bachelors - I'm sure everyone's experience truly is slightly overwhelming, difficult, and a new way to conduct research.

Another thing my DGS stated is that if you apply, and succeed, to a Phd track it shows your commitment and dedication, which reflects much more positively on you when applying for jobs after your education. His major concerns were the effects of doing the track, not necessarily what the track entailed (esp. since every school is different).

i hope this helps? Also, I suggest everyone to at least sit down with their own school's DGS (Director of Graduate Studies), even if he/she doens't teach undergrad classes. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to qualm any fears or answer any basic questions. Also, as I found out, it also gave me clarification on what departments look for in students. :)

I agree with what's been said about the MA. The first time I did applications, I applied to a mix of PhD and MA programs, and was accepted only by the MAs. That, really, was a blessing in disguise -- if by some accident I had gone straight into a top-notch PhD program, I would have been completely clueless, and I surely would have lost all self-esteem and dropped out. My undergraduate institution simply did not prepare me for doctoral-level work. But I'm sure that some do -- my experience had to do more with the specific department, lack of faculty specializing in my interests, a somewhat old-fashioned methodological approach, etc. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that if you aren't sure, do the MA first. If you decide you're done with school after that, there's not the stigma of being a PhD "dropout."

As to whether the MA will help you decide whether a PhD and academic career is right for you... well, it can't hurt. I still don't have answers to those questions. I finally(!) got an acceptance that I ought to be really happy about, but mostly I'm just stressed, anxious, unsure, scared about what my lifestyle would be like as a student, not wanting to move away from people I care about, worried there will be no job prospects after... I am at such a loss as to what to do. I don't think loving the subject is enough.

To add to this discussion: I came out of undergrad (and a very prestigious program) with no thesis, a so-so GPA, and very little idea of what I wanted to do in general, much less academically. I took a year off and then applied to an MA program at a state university (no prestige, but fully funded). During the 2-yr MA, I developed language skills, presented at 3 academic conferences, won a couple of fellowships, and completed an internship. I also maintained a 4.0 GPA in the program (relatively easy to do, but still). This year, I applied for PhD programs and got in a couple of places I would never have gotten in straight from undergrad, for all of the reasons cited above. My two cents.

Also, it seems there is a postal service rejection from Harvard over on the results page. My roommate told me there's something in the mail from them at home. Seems they finally got around to rejecting us.

Also, it seems there is a postal service rejection from Harvard over on the results page. My roommate told me there's something in the mail from them at home. Seems they finally got around to rejecting us.

Yep, that's mine. About freaking time. Really, Harvard? Did you think you were keeping me in suspense? No, I knew the answer long ago - you were just annoying me by waiting so long. :wink:

hey--

Sorry if this is a little off topic...

Now that the application process is over and most results are out I am wondering what might be appropriate thank you gifts for the professors who wrote my recommendations. I know that their letters of rec. made a huge difference in me getting in to my top choice program and want to give them something along with a letter explaining my gratitude...

Any ideas.. I do not want give hem a bottle wine

Good luck and Congratulations to everyone who is going through this year or is starting planning for next !

Thanks

I bought flowers for my two female profs and wrote them a letter. For the male professor (he's also my mentor and thesis advisor) I bought a nice bottle of wine. (The funny thing is I live on a dry campus! -- he was thrilled though).

I'm getting reeeaaalllly impatient waiting for UMich. It's the only uni I haven't heard from, and oddly enough it was the first application I submitted.

I too have officially had all of my notifications wrapped up, so just wanted to say best of luck to those still waiting and congratulations to those heading to programs in the fall! If anyone ends up deciding to head to Columbia (or is even thinking about it), please PM me. I'd love to talk :-) Everyone else, I look forward to seeing you all at conferences in the future and becoming colleagues around 2015 or so (what? ahhhhhh!).

For those of you who have gotten in to programs - if it's not too personal - I was wondering what kind of fellowship/ tuition remission offers you have gotten. You don't have to say what school or anything, just to give me an idea... I got offered full tuition remission + $15,500 for 4 years, but that seems kind of low. Anyone else get such offers that I could compare this to? Any suggestions on external funding sources/ scholarships to apply for?

I am wait listed for a phd in Art history (south ren) at Harvard. Anyone in my situation? Anyone able to tell to an international student what does this mean concretly? Should I keep on hoping or start looking in a different directions?

Hmmm.. so this is interesting. I just called the IFA to check on my application, and I found out I was rejected. I don't really understand how I could get rejected for an unfunded MA at NYU, yet get a fully funded acceptance to Penn PhD. What is going on here?

Oh well... Good thing I really like Penn.

Hmmm.. so this is interesting. I just called the IFA to check on my application,

Could I ask who you contacted there? I feel like its getting sort of ridiculous with a few schools (ahem: NYU, Columbia) not notifying yet.

Edited to add: Congrats on Penn!

Oh, and I should add - before they checked to see the status of my application, they did mention that people who haven't heard yet should NOT assume they are rejected. So good luck to everyone who is still waiting. There is still hope!

Just to follow up about IFA, I just called the academic office to check on my application and they said mine is still with the committee and they should be making final decisions within the next day or two. I assumed that I'd been rejected after seeing all the acceptances last week, so I'm definitely glad to hear that I'm still in the running, but trying not to allow myself to get too excited or hopeful. Has anyone called Columbia or gotten any kind of idea of when they'll be notifying? A ton of posts from other GSAS departments went up earlier this week, but nothing from Art History. So frustrating!

Re: Columbia, I just got a letter in the mail today. I'm about an hour out of NYC, so I'm guessing most of the rest are on their way? Hopefully, anyways.

That's odd: I'm IN Manhattan and there was nothing in the mail today. If you don't mind my asking, was it an acceptance (and if so, had you been unofficially notified earlier?) I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and call.

Edit: Never mind, just saw your earlier post about being accepted awhile back.

RE: Harvard wait list - to D. (did not know how to relpy to you!)

No news, and I guess we should wait until mid April..I know there're only 10 accepted this year, and 6 on the wait list.

I was told I am ranking high on the list, but the prof I am in contact with looked reluctant to tell me my exact position and I did not insist..

Do people normally notify their renouncement right away?...these days are horrible..

Has anyone received their rejection letter from Columbia? I can't believe they still haven't sent them out. I haven't received anything yet, though at this point I'm certain it's a no, but come on! Can't they just let us know!? I called today and the "person responsible for AH admissions" was out...

Where else did you apply? Just curious! I wonder how many acceptances Stony Brook gave out of how many applicants.

I've just inquired about this to Joseph Monteyne, the director, and have yet to receive a response. I'll post when he responds, though, I believe they generally admit only a handful of Ph.D students annually.

I've been admitted to the Ph.D program for this fall with funding plus stipend - I'll be accepting.

Are the two of you considering attending Stony Brook? It is my impression that they have quite a respectable reputation, despite the department being relatively small.

I find the program very attractive, actually, and I'm super excited about being admitted. It is a theory-based program which lends itself well to interdisciplinary work and, most importantly, a culturally significant art history.

The only undesirable aspect of the program is its location, I think, and I'm not sure that I'll be making the move to Long Island. A commute from Brooklyn seems to be worth the trouble.