PhD Public Health (epidemiology)

ec86

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

This is an excellent forum. I wish I had found this before I started the application process because then I could have been compulsively checking another site! I heard from a Univ of Michigan Public Health (not Epi) PhD program a couple of days ago and was accepted. The prospective student day is coming up in a couple of weeks. Good luck to everyone else. Epi is going to be really competitive this year.

Congratulations, Texasgrad! Are you the Health Services Org and Policy on the results board?

No... health services organization and policy is way too complicated for me. I am on the results board though. Good luck everyone! Glad to see some serious interest in Public Health. I'll probably run into some of you guys in real life at conferences at the like.

Good luck everyone! Glad to see some serious interest in Public Health. I'll probably run into some of you guys in real life at conferences at the like.

I never thought of that! It's possible that some of us will be at the same schools even. Maybe we need some secret signal...

I applied for a PhD in Public Health, epidemiology for Fall 09. I have not heard back yet, but do not expect to hear back until late February. I spoke to some one in the department after I heard from admissions that they received my application. Department said I should hear by March. I noticed on the results borad that there are no PhD in Public Health results yet. I see this as a good sign. Good luck to all the PhD applicants out there. I feel your pain waiting this out. I'm checking this board all to regularly in the past week. I don't expect that to change until I get word.

:?:

Out of curiosity, any of you lurking here apply to PhD in Public Health for Fall 2009? (epidemiology sub-field in particular?)

I'm getting very nervous waiting to hear back. I applied to 5 reach schools (no match and no safety), not sure if this was such a great idea now. :/

HA, I stand corrected, what I meant to say was out of the 40+ schools of public health, there are only a few results posted for a PhD in Epi. So I think there's still a chance for us. :lol:

Do you mean for the particular school(s) to which you applied, or in general? There are indeed some Epi PhD results posted. I posted one of them myself. :wink:

I am waiting to hear from Yale and UMASS Amherst.

I had spoken to the grad director at Yale before I applied and he said that they have an interview day for applicants they are interested in, so I would think those invitations would have gone out already or wold be going out soon! It makes me nervous that I have not received one.

I talked to someone at UMASS Amherst last week (to clarify something in my application) and she said that she would like to have decisions made by a month from then (so 3 more weeks). I can't stand the waiting!!!

I also applied to a non-PH program at UCONN (Phd in nutrition), and have an interview next week.

I am sorry to hear that. I was really rooting for you. I am not feeling so hot now myself. The results have been coming in and still nothing on my end.

That could be a good thing - maybe they are rejecting by the website first, and they will make more personal contact with acceptances (you and Rutabaga) later.

It does look like someone was accepted on the 19th of Feb last year via email. So maybe?

Does anyone have a sense of where they are going so far based on what they have heard? UNC is looking more and more appealing to me (and not just cause I'm waiting for everyone else!)

It does look like someone was accepted on the 19th of Feb last year via email. So maybe?

Does anyone have a sense of where they are going so far based on what they have heard? UNC is looking more and more appealing to me (and not just cause I'm waiting for everyone else!)

I am still not sure. I am one rejection strong and waiting to hear from everyone else. I was just talking to all of my bosses about the possibility of staying in my positions should things not work out. They are all waiting for the results along with me.