USC Graduate Preview

jino

Any Trojans in this board? I got an email this morning from USC inviting me to attend their Graduate Preview, kinda like an Open House/Tour I guess.

Anyway, I have 2 questions:

1. Is this a good sign regarding my application? Do they do this only for candidates they like or is this for everyone that submits an application? (The waiting part is frigging killing me)

2. It says on the website that applicants "Are Strongly Encouraged to Attend." If I don't go, will it hurt my chances? I'm an international applicant from the Philippines so it's not like a trip to LA is something that can simply be done over the weekend.

I am not from USC, but I would ask when the preview is...

if it is a few weeks off, ie: close to the time when decisions are made in your department, you may want to see how difficult it would be for you to get there. If you have a good possibility of getting in, a visit would be good-but only for YOU... to get know the area/campus. A school won't turn you down because you can't travel overseas to get there for a visitors weekend. But face time can't hurt.

If it seems unlikely that you can attend, you can make up for it by sending a very polite letter to your department, or professor you are most in contact with. Say that due to living so far, you regretfully cannot attend. Then spend two short sentences reiterating your interest in the program. If they are extra interested in what you have to offer, maybe they will offer you some assistance to offset the cost of travel. Probably not, but it is still nice to respond to the invitation.

Also you could make a call to the department administrative assistant and ask if these invites are sent to all applicants, (which I'd bet they are...)

just my two cents.

Either way, don't stress about it :)

I received the same email as well thinking that it was a hopeful acceptance letter.... However, they do not pay your way like many grad schools implying that this is a generic letter. I wouldn't look too much into it, as it seems that the entire admissions department sends this out and has little to nothing to do with our specific applications.

On another note, if any of you applied to U-M (Michigan), they'll also ask you to reserve a weekend for visits. Bear in mind, it doesn't mean you got in. They're just trying to be polite in terms of letting people know of possible travel dates, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

USC Gradauate Preview email made my heart skip a beat for no reason!

I already previewed the schools (no my own) I wanted to attend, and let the admissions office know that I already met with various people in the department and had visited their campuses to make absolutely sure this school my "cup of tea," as a result of this email. They were impressed!