NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I have seen phylogeny papers with 100+ authors... basically, if you get someone a coffee you can get your name put on it ;)

I'm in Gatineau and still no word. I'm not surprised really; the budget is going to have a big impact across the public sector and it wouldn't be a shock if NSERC has to wait on the new numbers. Oh well, I'm glad the Conservatives are huge proponents of education :huh:

Edited by snowshoes

I don't thonk so. Yo will have the answer before your department.

Which university are u ?

I think Gradstd is right if he stays in west... I guess, I will hear from the univ maybe tomorrow or Friday and then next week may receive the letter..

A paper of 7 pages, with 100 authors is significant for a reviewer to assign an award ? Sorry dude, but I am defintely convinced it's not the case. How can you evalute the contribution of each of these people ? I can't believe such papers can be a proof of the research potentional of someday, unless with a reference letter from an important author telling about the contribution of the referee.

PS : we're not talking about nobel prizes here, we're talking about NSERC awards ;-)

I am truly shocked. I had never seen a paper with so many authors.

Hi Guys,

I wanted to put everyone to ease a bit. In December, I was contacted by NSERC for more information about an award I am currently holding. Anyways, my supervisor asked me today to email her back and see if it affected my role in the competition (because the results are late this year).

She replied with this:

"Hi XXXXXX,

No, this did not affect your application. The reason the results are later this year is that the Federal Budget is later this year. In fact, the budget comes out tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too much longer until you receive your results.

Best regards,

XXXXXXX"

This follows what has been said multiple times, but figured it wouldn't hurt to add it to the pile.

Hi Guys,

I wanted to put everyone to ease a bit. In December, I was contacted by NSERC for more information about an award I am currently holding. Anyways, my supervisor asked me today to email her back and see if it affected my role in the competition (because the results are late this year).

She replied with this:

"Hi XXXXXX,

No, this did not affect your application. The reason the results are later this year is that the Federal Budget is later this year. In fact, the budget comes out tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too much longer until you receive your results.

Best regards,

XXXXXXX"

This follows what has been said multiple times, but figured it wouldn't hurt to add it to the pile.

Thanks for this! Maybe only the Andre Hamer CGS recipients have gotten letters or something?

Thanks for this! Maybe only the Andre Hamer CGS recipients have gotten letters or something?

Not sure. Either that, or people just come on here to start a fire. Anyways, I'll wait until next week, I trust her comment.

Not sure. Either that, or people just come on here to start a fire. Anyways, I'll wait until next week, I trust her comment.

Yeah, for sure. From everyone who has posted saying they have contacted NSERC, the result is always the same - nothing until after the budget. Here is hoping NSERC is spared from serious cuts - all reporting indicated the budget will implement severe cuts. Fingers crossed for all of us!

Here is the paper with most co-authors (over 2900!!!!): http://www.nature.co...f/412565aa.html

haha wow! 13,290 citations too, but then again that was a pretty ground-breaking paper.

But like I said, I've seen too many papers with dozens of authors and you *know* many of them simply sequenced a bunch of taxa as their contribution. Oh well, it is a big game and as young researchers we have to play the game a little as well - just don't get caught up in it and lose track of what is really important.

Does anyone know when FQRNT PDF results are in? I was not a Canadian citizen when I applied but I just got my passport can I take my award out of country?

The results will be announced at the end of April. The answer to your other question should be in the rules here: http://www.fqrnt.gouv.qc.ca/bourses/regles/pdf_lettres/2012-2013/ReglesB3_ang.pdf

The results will be announced at the end of April. The answer to your other question should be in the rules here: http://www.fqrnt.gou...eglesB3_ang.pdf

Thank for your reply, the rules don't say anything about when you should have become a citizen they just say citizens can take their award out of country. But I guess they mean at the time of the application.

Wen ever I login to my yahoo mail there is news about the budget report and cuts: http://ca.news.yahoo...-044457051.html

not goood I guess we shouldn't have complained about lat year.

Well, we are going to get what we deserve: more money for prisons and punishment, less environmental regulations, and less funding going to education. I hope NSERC survives the cuts unscathed, but I doubt it will.

Well, we are going to get what we deserve: more money for prisons and punishment, less environmental regulations, and less funding going to education. I hope NSERC survives the cuts unscathed, but I doubt it will.

Yeap, the only good thing is the job market is really good now, all my friends found jobs I guess a good job market is always better than some low paid scholarships that end up in useless degree's -if there are no jobs-. BTW where are you guys planning to take your awards?

Yeap, the only good thing is the job market is really good now, all my friends found jobs I guess a good job market is always better than some low paid scholarships that end up in useless degree's -if there are no jobs-. BTW where are you guys planning to take your awards?

where is the job. i could not find one...could u pls let me know...i am a mechanical engineer

I am still unsure how/why the results depend on the budget. The PGS-D I received a couple of years ago was dated some time mid-march, and I think (I'd have to look back at the previous posts), someone had mentioned a March 18th or so dating on their letter last year. Maybe the budgets were done crazily earlier in previous years, but why would they cut it so close this year and tell everyone notification letters will be sent out by March 31st with the ability to start the award April 1st? I doubt there is any way they'll be able to print out/distribute the letters for at least another couple of weeks, unless they maybe already have both positive and negative letters printed and ranked for everyone, and they just pick the top X number of letters depending on what the budget allows? I don't know. Seems strange.

where is the job. i could not find one...could u pls let me know...i am a mechanical engineer

I am ECE and my friends got jobs in IBM, AMD, Synopsis brachs in Toronto. But I know of may mechanical Eng's as well which got jobs this year.

I am still unsure how/why the results depend on the budget. The PGS-D I received a couple of years ago was dated some time mid-march, and I think (I'd have to look back at the previous posts), someone had mentioned a March 18th or so dating on their letter last year. Maybe the budgets were done crazily earlier in previous years, but why would they cut it so close this year and tell everyone notification letters will be sent out by March 31st with the ability to start the award April 1st? I doubt there is any way they'll be able to print out/distribute the letters for at least another couple of weeks, unless they maybe already have both positive and negative letters printed and ranked for everyone, and they just pick the top X number of letters depending on what the budget allows? I don't know. Seems strange.

To sum it up, basically this budget isn't like the ones in previous years. There will be significant cuts, the kind that haven't been seen in about 10 years, to pretty much every department. This is why NSERC is waiting- all the applicants are ranked, they just need to know how many awards they can actually afford to give out.

I am ECE and my friends got jobs in IBM, AMD, Synopsis brachs in Toronto. But I know of may mechanical Eng's as well which got jobs this year.

BTW, I dont think you can find a research position since it is very rare and seldom they post open positions for that, my fiends all got development jobs.

please let me know companies hiring ME if you know..