NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

BTW, I dont think you can find a research position since it is very rare and seldom they post open positions for that, my fiends all got development jobs.

First, i need to survive...:) so job is priority....I know in Canada companies do not do research much

To sum it up, basically this budget isn't like the ones in previous years. There will be significant cuts, the kind that haven't been seen in about 10 years, to pretty much every department. This is why NSERC is waiting- all the applicants are ranked, they just need to know how many awards they can actually afford to give out.

well if they cut it even more than last year then the success rate is gonna be liek 5%. I remember it used to be like 20-22% success rate. Last year it was around 10%. I am talking about PDF...I can not imagine below 10%.

instead of cutting the budget and reduce the number of awarded people, why don't they simply reduce the amount of CGS to be 30k for example !!!

well they created banting..;)

While these numbers aren't directly comparable due to the introduction of Banting/Vanier, and the change in length for holding the P/CGS-M, the number of awards offered divided by the number that applied from 2008 through 2011 are*:

P/CGS-M: 74%, 74%, 75%, 50%

P/CGS-D: 66%, 68%, 67%, 52%

PDF: 21%, 21%, 21%, 9%

... and possibly another drop with the upcoming budget? Yikes... my fingers are crossed they don't cut the PDFs so drastically again!!!

*Numbers calculated from data on: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/FundingDecisions-DecisionsFinancement/ScholarshipsAndFellowships-ConcoursDeBourses/index_eng.asp

WOW they have been very unfair to PDF applicants, 50% cutoff!!!! Guess the PDF acceptance rate is going to be 5% this year. No reason to give people 70K for banting, if someone has a good application then they will just get any postdoc or faculty position they want!!

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

2. Research and development

Harper also said in Davos that Canada has to change the way it invests in research and development. The government says Canada is one of the world's most generous with R&D funding, spending almost $12 billion a year, but the private sector isn't delivering results to match that investment. Minister of State for Science and Technology Gary Goodyear says the National Research Council, which now gets $700 million a year, could see major changes. A report last fall by business leader Tom Jenkins also said the complicated SRED tax credit system needs to be streamlined to make it easier to apply for funding.

We aren't private businesses though, we all go to public universities so maybe overall NRC will get less funding but how will that effect the NSERC budget?

I think what they meant is that they're investments in researchers isn't transitioning into new businesses and products as fast as they expected their investments would. I don't think they understand how basic science works ^_^

While these numbers aren't directly comparable due to the introduction of Banting/Vanier, and the change in length for holding the P/CGS-M, the number of awards offered divided by the number that applied from 2008 through 2011 are*:

P/CGS-M: 74%, 74%, 75%, 50%

P/CGS-D: 66%, 68%, 67%, 52%

PDF: 21%, 21%, 21%, 9%

... and possibly another drop with the upcoming budget? Yikes... my fingers are crossed they don't cut the PDFs so drastically again!!!

*Numbers calculated from data on: http://www.nserc-crs...s/index_eng.asp

The recent decreases are partially because of cuts to the program, but are also because they have started handing out the awards differently. They used to give out more than they could afford, expecting that a certain proportion would be turned down. Now, they hand out the correct amount, and take people from a waiting list as awards become available. So, the difference between the 2011 and 2010 numbers is exaggerated by this change.

This was NSERC's official response to one complaint:

http://nghoussoub.co...bers/#more-4130

Not completely satisfying, but at least you can see what is driving most of the change.

Edited by sbaldwin

The recent decreases are partially because of cuts to the program, but are also because they have started handing out the awards differently. They used to give out more than they could afford, expecting that a certain proportion would be turned down. Now, they hand out the correct amount, and take people from a waiting list as awards become available. So, the difference between the 2011 and 2010 numbers is exaggerated by this change.

This was NSERC's official response to one complaint:

http://nghoussoub.co...bers/#more-4130

Not completely satisfying, but at least you can see what is driving most of the change.

Based on this repot http://nghoussoub.co...bers/#more-4130

I guess PDF success rate will be higher compared to 2011 or almost smae like 2011 (if budger cut affect it).

As far as I know, during 2008-2010 the success rates were higher just because the federal government temporarily expanded the canada graduate scholarships (CGS) program through Canada's Economic Action Plan for those three years. It is back to normal funding level again.

I think the success rate will remain more or less same as the last year year, unless govt. wants to put more funding toward scholarships, which is very unlikely.

As far as I know, during 2008-2010 the success rates were higher just because the federal government temporarily expanded the canada graduate scholarships (CGS) program through Canada's Economic Action Plan for those three years. It is back to normal funding level again.

I think the success rate will remain more or less same as the last year year, unless govt. wants to put more funding toward scholarships, which is very unlikely.

I agree with GrasStd