NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Need is relative. I'm in the US right now, I just negotiated a postdoc position yesterday, I just assumed I didn't have the fellowship for negotiation, now of I get it, it just sweetens the deal.

I have a postdoc now and could continue after September, but what is nice about NSERC PDF is that you can take the fellowship wherever you want to, so you have the option to choose a good mentor, research and location.

I have a PhD lined up for September along with the standard meagre salary, so the PGS-D would also make my financial situation a lot better. Luckily my next step in life isn't dependent on my NSERC results - I can see how people in that boat would be very, very anxious right now.

I assumed the PGS-D would be added onto my agreed funding, but I doubt that will happen... my supervisor would probably want the money to go to another student/post-doc in the lab. I'm not sure if I could negotiate more money while one of the PhD students in the lab is only making ~$25k/y.

You can request at least a supplement of 3000- - 4000 $CAN from you supervisor.

In Concordia, they give 12000 $ in addition to your award.

There is some universities that give the same amount of money than your scholarship.

Does anyone think that the federal budget severely slashed NSERC's funding? I had a 4.09/4.3 GPA, 2 amazing references(they got me into UWaterloo and UofT computer Science with full funding) and a decent proposal. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get a PGS-M.

Apparentl, this year those who get PGS - M have at least a GPA of 4.2/4.3

Simhod,

I'm confused. Didn't you already write a rather substantial PDF application outlining your proposed research, location and mentor? I'm not so sure it's easy to change if you're awarded the fellowship. I guess I don't really know though.

Simhod,

I'm confused. Didn't you already write a rather substantial PDF application outlining your proposed research, location and mentor? I'm not so sure it's easy to change if you're awarded the fellowship. I guess I don't really know though.

Yes, you proposed a location in the application, but after you get the award you can change the location with only a request letter.

Oh and someone on twitter announced a successful PDF. I guess at least the success rate is >0%.

wow, that's good for him/her.

Is the awardee from USA? Are the letter close to us?

Does anyone think that the federal budget severely slashed NSERC's funding? I had a 4.09/4.3 GPA, 2 amazing references(they got me into UWaterloo and UofT computer Science with full funding) and a decent proposal. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get a PGS-M.

The cuts are $15 million this year and $30 million next year. NSERC has a $ 1 billion budget (!). However, all depends on where the agency decides to cut spending.

Edited by tomj

I'm starting my graduate degree in September and did not get a PGS/CGS-M award (I assume it was because my 2nd year marks were ~3.9). When I apply again for the 2013-2014 competition what will my chances be? I will have completed one year of my master's degree at that point and my 3rd and 4th year of my bachelors degree GPA = 4.3/4.3.

Is the judging different for people who are applying for funding in the second year of their master's?

I'm starting my graduate degree in September and did not get a PGS/CGS-M award (I assume it was because my 2nd year marks were ~3.9). When I apply again for the 2013-2014 competition what will my chances be? I will have completed one year of my master's degree at that point and my 3rd and 4th year of my bachelors degree GPA = 4.3/4.3.

Is the judging different for people who are applying for funding in the second year of their master's?

No it's the same ! Try to implicate yourself in community activities. Your application will be stronger

Hey folks, received my rejection letter yesterday for the PGS/CGS M.

I'm a fourth year undergrad who also applied for OGS.

Good luck to those who are still waiting.

Apply next year man !

Hard luck !

No it's exactly the same, except now they will consider your 4th year marks (since they would not have had this information last time). Keep trying, a friend of mine failed to get the PGS-M twice in a row but finally got one when applying for PGS-D!

No it's the same ! Try to implicate yourself in community activities. Your application will be stronger

I actually just won a faculty wide award for being heavily involved and I potentially have the top mark in my graduating year lol. it was second year that got me (SECOND YEAR FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :P)

I'm from BC and no mail yet as of April 7 (Saturday).

I cant believe NSERC does not have web results on

a fixed date of the year like many unis/organizations!

What a FALSE statement as extracted from the NSERC PDF website!

Notification of decision

NSERC notifies all applicants of the results by mail by March 31. NSERC will not provide results by telephone or e-mail.