NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I've been reading this thread for days (many times a day), but since I'm in Ottawa and might be getting the results first I feel obligated to join in and let you guys know... I got nothing today (I applied for a PGS/CGS), but I'll post as soon as I do get something. Looks like late this week, though..

I've been reading this thread for days (many times a day), but since I'm in Ottawa and might be getting the results first I feel obligated to join in and let you guys know... I got nothing today (I applied for a PGS/CGS), but I'll post as soon as I do get something. Looks like late this week, though..

Thanks! My guess is those whose departements inform them of the decision will know by Thursday, and the rest of us will get the snail mail next week.

NSERC Discovery Results are out. Here is a message from NSERC:

MESSAGE FROM NSERC

The results of the 2012 competition for NSERC’s Discovery Grants (DG) Program have been released to university administrators who, in turn, are advising applicants.

Again this year, the competition saw the successful use of the two-stage process and conference model that were implemented by NSERC following two major and positive reviews of the DG Program in 2008. The evaluation structure consists of 12 Evaluation Groups (EGs) whose members form into sections based on the match between their expertise and the specific topics of a set of applications. As needed, members from different groups join different sections to review topics that cross the traditional boundaries between disciplines. The conference model also provides the flexibility needed to react to the emergence of new research areas. Finally, the two-stage review system allows for an effective assessment of the overall quality of proposals, removing the influence of the previous grant on the outcome of the new application and making it possible for high-performing researchers to quickly increase their grant levels based on superior scientific merit.

o In the first step, EGs assessed all applications on the three merit criteria (Excellence of the Researcher, Merit of the Proposal, and Contribution to the Training of Highly Qualified People) using a six-point scale. The DG Merit Indicators for the ratings used by the EGs are available in Chapter 6 of the Peer Review Manual. These ratings lead to the grouping of applications into categories/“bins” of comparable overall quality.

o In the second step, the Executive Committee of the EG assigned a funding level to each bin.

Please note that applications receiving a rating of Insufficient in any criterion will not be funded. In addition, to receive funding the minimum rating for the criterion of Excellence of the Researcher must be Strong for Established Researchers (ER), and Moderate for Early Career Researchers (ECR).

As you know, based on the feedback and recommendation of our EG members, we have asked applicants to include a plan for the training of highly qualified personnel (HQP) and a description of co-supervision or a collaborative training environment under the criterion "Contribution to the Training of Highly Qualified Personnel." This extra page provided very useful information to peer reviewers.

For the 2012 DG competition, the EGs reviewed a total of 3,477 applications (3,451 individuals and 26 teams). The results, by category of applicants, are as follows:

• The percentage of ECRs receiving a first grant is 62 percent, surpassing NSERC’s target of 50 percent. The average grant is $26,740this amount includes a supplement of $5,000 from the new funds received in federalBudget 2011.
  • The success rate for Established Researchers renewing a grant is 78 percent. The average grant is $33,354.
  • The success rate for Established Researchers who did not hold a grant in 2011 is 36 percent, with an average grant of $26,964.

NSERC will be mailing the individual award letters to applicants within the next few days.

The ratings determined for your application will be indicated in the Message to the Applicant that will be mailed to you shortly. In cases where a Moderate or Insufficient rating was indicated for any of the selection criteria, the EG will have provided comments to accompany the rating. The external referee reports received for your application will also be included. NSERC will post the detailed competition statistics on its Web site in April.

Sincerely,

Isabelle Blain

Vice-President

Research Grants and Scholarships Directorate

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)

Do you think they have an automatic system mailing candidates and it could be working in the night time ?

The responsible told me that results will be available on researchnet, and it can be in the evening

Do you think they have an automatic system mailing candidates and it could be working in the night time ?

Maybe...the original notification date was April 15th, which is a Sunday.

The responsible told me that results will be available on researchnet, and it can be in the evening

OK, so probably they're avoiding the fact of flooding the system and they're releasing the results by pools of candidates.

Well, originally we weren't supper to get them until April 15th, so who knows.

So why on the phone they said it will be tonight or max tomorrow morning...

Edited by eliasg

stanvx - you realize that the discovery grants are professors, right? Just making sure.

Yep. Just letting folks know that at least 'something' is being released by NSERC these days. lol

Edited by stanvx

Researchnet System Maintenance

System Maintenance is scheduled daily between 8:30 pm - 9:00 pm EST. The system may be unavailable during this time.

I can login , and nothing published there !