NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I go and ask the department. They enter the secure site and results were there.

But NSERC recommand that no result must be divulgated before letters arrive.

Thanks eliasg. I am going to send an email to my dept. then.

Did you get the award or not ?

I did my BSc/PhD in Canada, and I am now down in the US. What I meant by getting it to all work out at a US university is that the Canadian ones are completely familiar with NSERC, and who cares if money comes in late - they'll know how to deal with the paperwork. For a US university however, as far as they know, they're supposed to be paying me out of a particular grant (and pay day isn't far around the corner). Anyway, I'm just not sure how they'll retroactively deal with the money, particularly since the US funds I get paid from the university are just that... US, whereas NSERC pays (from what I understand) the applicant directly, so that would be Canadian funds. Anyway - I'm just hoping this all gets sorted out prior to pay day cut-off. I've also heard of some PDFs running into trouble by accepting an NSERC, because some universities end up then considering them part-time (so they consequently lose their benefits). I haven't looked into this yet (since I don't even know if I got an award), but I'm sure it might take a couple days to get a clear answer on that. Anyway... hoping mail comes soon!!! :)

So you will invite us to share the award with you in the US for sure !

I did my BSc/PhD in Canada, and I am now down in the US. What I meant by getting it to all work out at a US university is that the Canadian ones are completely familiar with NSERC, and who cares if money comes in late - they'll know how to deal with the paperwork. For a US university however, as far as they know, they're supposed to be paying me out of a particular grant (and pay day isn't far around the corner). Anyway, I'm just not sure how they'll retroactively deal with the money, particularly since the US funds I get paid from the university are just that... US, whereas NSERC pays (from what I understand) the applicant directly, so that would be Canadian funds. Anyway - I'm just hoping this all gets sorted out prior to pay day cut-off. I've also heard of some PDFs running into trouble by accepting an NSERC, because some universities end up then considering them part-time (so they consequently lose their benefits). I haven't looked into this yet (since I don't even know if I got an award), but I'm sure it might take a couple days to get a clear answer on that. Anyway... hoping mail comes soon!!! :)

So you will invite us to share the award with you in the US for sure !

I know someone who took the NSERC PDF here, in US and he gets some payment in top of the NSERC, but he has full benefits, I didn't hear him complaining.

Do you want to wait for your letter at the US address or you try to find out from your former Canadian university?

Do you know if they have the PDF results ? And by "department", do you refer to the office of burseries and scholarships ? Merci.

Do you know if they have the PDF results ? And by "department", do you refer to the office of burseries and scholarships ? Merci.

I don't know for the PDF. Yes i refer to the office of burseries and scholarships.

Did you get the award or not ?

I don't know Vivaldi. J'ai supplie la femme de me le dire. Elle ne voulait pas. C'est interdit par le CRSNG. Ca fait chier en tabarnac

I don't know Vivaldi. J'ai supplie la femme de me le dire. Elle ne voulait pas. C'est interdit par le CRSNG. Ca fait chier en tabarnac

Why would she tell you if NSERC forbids it? Seems unnecessarily stressful!

Hey Yellowtulip, good luck with your application! I am currently doing my PhD in the US and have a PGS-M. They actually send you the check in the currency of whatever country you're in. I got a check in late Aug and another in late Feb from the Government of Canada, in USD (which will be sure to confuse your bank teller!). For the PGS awards, it takes a while to actually get the check since you will need to send them in documentation to officially accept the award, and then you need to send another form each time you want a check.

The admin person who deals with scholarships at my university recalculated how much stipend they need to pay me by assuming that USD = CAD for my PGS-M (since that is a very good approximation right now) and told me to contact her if this isn't the case and I end up being underpaid.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions as this thread goes fast!

Edited by titration

Dear Dr. '''',

Your recent application, entitled ***, submitted to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program program has been reviewed and the committee decisions and competition results are now available for you to view on ResearchNet. These documents will not be sent to you in the regular mail.

They changed an email address for me, now i cannot access it, how annoying am I!

I know a decision has been made, but i cannot access, i will mad very soon!! :angry:

Eh ben tabarnaccccccccccccccccc

That is really weird...............

Dear Dr. '''',

Your recent application, entitled ***, submitted to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program program has been reviewed and the committee decisions and competition results are now available for you to view on ResearchNet. These documents will not be sent to you in the regular mail.

They changed an email address for me, now i cannot access it, how annoying am I!

I know a decision has been made, but i cannot access, i will mad very soon!! :angry:

Hey Yellowtulip, good luck with your application! I am currently doing my PhD in the US and have a PGS-M. They actually send you the check in the currency of whatever country you're in. I got a check in late Aug and another in late Feb from the Government of Canada, in USD (which will be sure to confuse your bank teller!). For the PGS awards, it takes a while to actually get the check since you will need to send them in documentation to officially accept the award, and then you need to send another form each time you want a check.

The admin person who deals with scholarships at my university recalculated how much stipend they need to pay me by assuming that USD = CAD for my PGS-M (since that is a very good approximation right now) and told me to contact her if this isn't the case and I end up being underpaid.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions as this thread goes fast!

Not that I applied for Banting... I didn't... but I read on the site (for NSERC Banting award holders) that NSERC will send the cheque to whatever currency of address you give 'em (so if you want Canadian funds... ask 'em to send it to a Canadian address). In either case however, from what I understand, no matter the currency, I will be issued a T4A. I thought Canadian currency might be easier though as I won't have to re-convert everything to Canadian once I move back in a year. My fingers are crossed that this uni doesn't have any issues (I've read posts in the past about bad stories.... not sure what universities though).... more so however, my figures are just crossed for the award (all of this is needless worry if I don't get it). Anyway, thanks for the offer to message if I have more questions! Good luck!!! :)

Edited by yellowtulip

did anybody ask the department for the NSERC PDF results?

I was under the impression that departments/universities receive no information from NSERC about PDF results, unlike PGS/CGS. But I might be wrong.

I am waiting for the NSERC PDF result. If successful, I am planning to take it to the US University, at least for the Postdoc period. Does anyone here know about the top-up from the US universities or their supervisors?

It’s good to know that some of us in this forum have already started receiving PGS/CGS or Vanier awards. Congratulations to all those successful candidates and for those who could not make it this year, please hope you can make it to the next year. Please remember that success develop from failures.

No PDF letter has arrived in BC yet.

I was under the impression that departments/universities receive no information from NSERC about PDF results, unlike PGS/CGS. But I might be wrong.

Two years ago when I applied directly to NSERC for PDF, my university informed me in advance about the outcome.

I guess they can see all the NSERC results.