NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I received my PGS-D acceptance letter in Massachusetts today! I was not feeling too confident because I did a direct entry PhD program, so I probably do not have as many publications as someone who has completed a MSc. Also, my grades were not great; I had one B and two B+s in my last 2 years. I got scored 53/100 for academics when I applied for the PGS-M with the same transcript. (I got the PGS-M too. :) )

I guess they liked the proposal! :D

Hi! I just wanted to say thanks. I was eagerly refreshing this thread to figure out when letters have been sent out. I got a letter today (in Waterloo) saying i got a CGS-D. I imagine this means most in Waterloo have received letters today.

Yup, I am in Edmonton and received my official letter from NSERC for PGS-D3 after I had heard from my Dept. last week. It was dated March 30th, so no we are not a bunch of trolls! =) Crossing my fingers for an upgrade to CGS-D

Do we need to send acceptance by snail mail? Their website says phone is not acceptable...how about fax, email?

There are 2 forms :

1) http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/PGSForeign1A-ESEtranger1A_eng.pdf. You have to send this to NSERC by the post.

2) http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/PSCGS1B-ESESC1B_eng.pdf. Page 1 is for your grad department and Page 2 has to been sent to NSERC by mail.

Congratulations again !

There are 2 forms :

1) http://www.nserc-crs...nger1A_eng.pdf. You have to send this to NSERC by the post.

2) http://www.nserc-crs...SESC1B_eng.pdf. Page 1 is for your grad department and Page 2 has to been sent to NSERC by mail.

Congratulations again !

Visit http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/PGSCGSIndex-ESESCIndex_eng.asp

Form 1A and 1B

Hi! I just wanted to say thanks. I was eagerly refreshing this thread to figure out when letters have been sent out. I got a letter today (in Waterloo) saying i got a CGS-D. I imagine this means most in Waterloo have received letters today.

COngratulations man for the 35 K :)

I think so !. We have to wait till June.

That would be nice! My university doesn't really provide many benefits for getting a PGS D - no additional pay than what I would get without it. The only benefit is not having to TA.

I am a PGS/CGS-D candidate. I received the letter today in Edmonton.. Apparently I am on the wait-list and should the fund be available I will be notified by June-15. Keeping my finger crossed! Does anyone knows what are the chances of making out of the waiting-list?

Edited by stud007

Do we need to send acceptance by snail mail? Their website says phone is not acceptable...how about fax, email?

I used email for my Form 1A and fax for Form 1B and both were fine. :)

Edited by titration

Well, it finally came. Meritorious but unable to fund for a PDF in ecology/evolution, pre-approved for an IRDF. 9 papers (6 first author), 2 submitted, two refereed reports, loads of conference presentations, heavy involvement in scientific societies (I'm actually on the board of directors of one), good number of previous awards, including a PGSD3, reference letters that make me blush. *sigh*

Well, it finally came. Meritorious but unable to fund for a PDF in ecology/evolution, pre-approved for an IRDF. 9 papers (6 first author), 2 submitted, two refereed reports, loads of conference presentations, heavy involvement in scientific societies (I'm actually on the board of directors of one), good number of previous awards, including a PGSD3, reference letters that make me blush. *sigh*

How about waitlist?

Does it mean that your referees did not write strongly to support your application? Your profile seems very strong to me.

Hi Guys,

Recently sent an NSERC VF application - 3 publications, 1 submitted, several posters. Supervisor from government lab is interested and gave letter of interest which was also submitted to NSERC. Just wanted to know from those experienced in this process, how long does the process take, and the success rate. Thanks.

Does it mean that your referees did not write strongly to support your application? Your profile seems very strong to me.

I thought my letters were pretty strong- I chose my two co-advisors and they think a lot of me. And I think the proposal was pretty strong- in fact, my proposed supervisor has offered me a position in his lab to do exactly what I proposed. The NSERC wasn't strictly needed, but it would have been nice to be able to bring my own funds to the table.

Edited by seebee