Anyone else getting annoyed by emails from current school?

Tinyboss

My current institution sends lots of mail to students, with subject lines that start like:

[Advisory Committee]

[Academic Notification]

[Financial Aid]

[student Affairs]

[Hey You Just Got Into Grad School Haha Made You Look]

Alright, that last one hasn't happened (yet). But seriously...I'm tired of my heart skipping a beat every time my email notifier goes off with a suggestive email subject from my current school!

Last year when I applied to MIT, they said all acceptances were sent via DHL. I mentioned this to my parents - shortly after, my dad starting sending packages via DHL. He thought it was hilarious.

See, if someone did that to me, I would seriously consider taking the "flaming-bag-of-dog-poo approach" to resolving the issue.

GOOD LORD

I can sympathize more than you know! My emails get forwarded as text messages to my phone, but only the first 160 characters. And my school sends an enormous amount of emails. I'm nearly ready to start just redirecting it to spam. I'm in a class, i hear that ba-duh-BA! of my phone and jump a little with an accompanying yelp. The subject is something like "Please Join Us..." followed by "The faculty would like to invite you to-- 160 CHARACTER LIMIT ERROR NUMBER DHC100991UAz" only to open it later, after dashing out of class and running to a computer, knocking over innocent students as I jostle for the nearest outlet of the internet, to find it says "you to take our internet survey for student satisfaction of the pizza sauce at the campus center! Help settle the oregano debate forever!" (commence screaming and an unending tirade of profanity aimed against my current school: j**** f****** c***** do you think any F******* f***tard on the planet gives a flying f*** about the tiniest F****** MINUTIA YOU COME UP WITH? I DON'T GIVE A F**** MAYBE YOU COULD JUST F****** INVEST MORE TIME IN OUR HIGHER EDUCATION YOU F****** C**** A******* WHO THE F*** SENDS SO MANY F**** EMAILS WHAT THE F***** S******* YOU ******** *** ******** *** ****** ********** PIZZA ********* ****** *** ******** ******* **** PAPA JOHNS ***************** ************ ************ OREGANO D********!).

Yeah, I'm on something of a hair-trigger these days.

Last year when I applied to MIT, they said all acceptances were sent via DHL. I mentioned this to my parents - shortly after, my dad starting sending packages via DHL. He thought it was hilarious.

I think this is kind of hilarious! Less for the reasons your dad did, and more because it just must have taken him so much *trouble.*

Well I just got an unsolicited email shouting 'GRADUATE ADMISSIONS' from the Joseph Korbel school of IR. I'd really rather people stopped sending me stuff I didn't ask for that makes me think I got in somewhere I might actually want to go...

Duke sends a periodic application materials checklist thing (although they've already established that all of my stuff has been received), which isn't too cruel and unusual on their part, but it still makes me jump. The fact that Duke has its notifications coming out soon (early February) certainly doesn't help my nerves much, either!

On a different note, who isn't relieved that the first notifications (of acceptance, anyway) are by email or phone, rather than post? Personally, I can remember some God-awful afternoons in high school spent waiting for the mailman to come with letters from undergrad institutions ("Is it a big envelope or a small one?!?!"). Of course, I suppose that checking my email 50 times a day amounts to the same thing :roll: .

*Edit: Oops, I didn't realize that this thread concerns "current" schools. I do not and have never attended Duke (but maybe someday I will, hehe).

It is certainly desensitizing.

oh my god that's so great! My mom would do something like that! haha... I love it.

You might consider getting a iPod touch. Works a lot like the iPhone but it can only connect to existing networks. If your university/job has free wireless, you could connect to your email on the touch and not have to knock over people to get to a computer.

Here's another one!

Subject as shown in my pop-up notifier: "[univAdm] Orientation Services..."

Full subject: "[univAdm] Orientation Services Needs Your Advice!"

Something about providing tips and advice to incoming freshmen at my current school.

Yay.

Actually my school I just earned my M.A. from recently emailed me asking for money to fund scholarships and fellowships. I laughed at this email.

I'm an undergrad and I participate in university governance. I got a letter recently that was obviously a form letter sent out to all the members of the various governing bodies asking for money. I was like... WTF? Mr. Chair, can't you/your secretary take a moment to see which members are STILL STUDENTS?! I thought about writing a Stern Letter in response, but then I got a Christmas card from the Chair too so I forgave them. :-P