Hey guys,

I depended so much on this forum when I was applying for schools so I thought I'd put myself out there as a resource for anyone who is thinking of applying to GSPP. I'm a current student, focusing on international environmental policy and sustainable development.

To give you a short list of why I chose GSPP over other options: Berkeley is hands down the best place to be for those interested in energy/environment/sustainability, there are amazing research opportunities in every field, the program is extremely flexible but also quantitatively rigorous, and $$. I know that when I was trying to choose a school, debt was a huge factor. In my opinion, GSPP does not do a good enough job advertising how generous they are with funding. Even if you do not receive a fellowship, there are a ton of research and TA positions available that a) provide fee remission and pay a very very generous living stipend. This is why I will graduate with 20k in debt versus 70-100k I would be taking on had I gone with SAIS or SIPA.

If you're thinking of applying and have any questions about the program, Berkeley, student life, etc...ask away!

Edited by peter9109

Hey Peter,

I am also an applicant for MPP/MPA program.There are two questions I am having -

1. I know that there are schools which accept GMAT/GRE or LSAT for admissions to their program.So, I wanted to know which are those schools which accept GMAT and TOEFL for the admission process ?

2. I have a background in operations management,product development and project management.With a cumulative experience of 6 years I am looking forward for a major career transition towards foreign policy services.Hence, I wanted to know what are the differences between MPA and MPP.More so,which program is more suitable for foreign policy services,considering I am based in Asia,country- India.

Thank you beforehand.

Warm Regards

Amit Ganguly

1. I know that there are schools which accept GMAT/GRE or LSAT for admissions to their program.So, I wanted to know which are those schools which accept GMAT and TOEFL for the admission process.

Since you are not a native English speaker, every single grad school is going to have a minimum TOEFL score you need to pass in order to enroll. So taking the TOEFL should be on the top of your list if you haven't already. Judging by your post it shouldn't be a problem.

Whether or not a grad school accepts the GMAT in lieu of the GRE varies widely. Check on individual schools' admission pages.

Edited by MYRNIST

I have a TOEFL score of 105+ and a GMAT score of 700+. I am from India,and probably,among just few of those candidates who embark upon such studies.However, my natural bend is for Asian development programs and Policy studies. So with respect to this and the above constraints, I want to short list schools for the MPP/Global affairs program.

Thanks Myrinst for your response.

Much regards

Amit Ganguly

I have a TOEFL score of 105+ and a GMAT score of 700+. I am from India,and probably,among just few of those candidates who embark upon such studies.However, my natural bend is for Asian development programs and Policy studies. So with respect to this and the above constraints, I want to short list schools for the MPP/Global affairs program.

Thanks Myrinst for your response.

Much regards

Amit Ganguly

Pretty much all PP schools have an ID program. So your "short list" depends more on things like competitiveness of admissions, where you want to live in the U.S., financial aid (which will be uphill sledding, as you are not a U.S. citizen and thus disqualified for a lot of financial aid), particular faculty you like, particular courses you find interesting, etc. I can only really comment on competitiveness of admissions and general perception of quality and prestige. For the rest, it completely depends on what you personally want and hence is outside this forum's ken.

Note: this just includes foreign-policy oriented schools (the "policy studies" part of your request.)

Tier 1: HKS, Princeton WWS

Tier 2: Johns Hopkins SAIS, Georgetown, Tufts Fletcher, Columbia SIPA

Tier 3: GW Elliot, Denver Korbel

EDIT: forget to say, your GMAT score and TOEFL have very, very little to do with your competitiveness compared to everything else. And yours are good enough where they shouldn't stop you from doing anything.

Edited by MYRNIST

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I already PM you. I'm reapplying and it's great if you can help me tailor my application to GSPP. Would you take a look at my SOP and give some suggestions?

Must I express my interest in energy/environment/sustainability?