Are there any political science programs out there that emphasize Marxist or critical analysis, or at least have a few professors that specialize in those areas? So far, of most of the programs that I have looked at, all have capitalist / neoliberal leanings and tend to emphasize rational choice theory.

Generally speaking, there are much more Canadian, British and continental European programs like that. I am applying for a few Canadian institutions as well, but not York. York seems purely Marxist if you check their faculty. McGill, Carleton, McMaster, and Waterloo are critical as well, but probably more comprehensive than York. I don't know much about schools in the UK, but you may want to check out Sussex.

The only two far-left wing American programs that I know are the New School in NYC and UMass-Amherst, but the New School does a terrible job in funding graduate students. Also, I have heard that you should be able to find all kinds of scholars at the very top programs (like top 5) in the US.

Generally speaking, there are much more Canadian, British and continental European programs like that. I am applying for a few Canadian institutions as well, but not York. York seems purely Marxist if you check their faculty. McGill, Carleton, McMaster, and Waterloo are critical as well, but probably more comprehensive than York. I don't know much about schools in the UK, but you may want to check out Sussex.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to move overseas, so I only plan to apply to US/Canadian institutions.

The only two far-left wing American programs that I know are the New School in NYC and UMass-Amherst, but the New School does a terrible job in funding graduate students. Also, I have heard that you should be able to find all kinds of scholars at the very top programs (like top 5) in the US.

The New School isn't for me because of its location. I'm a small town Midwest guy, so anything in NYC is definitely out. UMass-Amherst will have to go on my list. It's a school that was really never on my radar (I'm focused mostly on Midwest/Manitoba/Ontario schools), but I've always been impressed with Amherst (the town, not the university).

I don't think I'm top 5 material, unfortunately. I'd love to go to Michigan, but I would almost certainly not get in. Unfortunately for me, most of the other Big Ten schools lean right. Indiana has one critical scholar, IIRC.

This was what I was afraid of, but I may have to look outside of my geographic area. I really don't think I would be a good fit in a predominately conservative / neoliberal program.

Edited by northstar22

You can't have it all ways. If you're picking a narrow field---and really taking a very strong stance not only on field but on the style of department you want---you can't say "oh my God the thought of living in <insert town here> makes me want to puke." I'd recommend a little more flexibility on both geographical and academic dimensions.

"Indiana has one critical scholar, IIRC"

Which one?

Gardner Bovingdon.

You can't have it all ways. If you're picking a narrow field---and really taking a very strong stance not only on field but on the style of department you want---you can't say "oh my God the thought of living in <insert town here> makes me want to puke." I'd recommend a little more flexibility on both geographical and academic dimensions.

I'm not picking a narrow field, my area of specialization is one of the most common in political science. I'm flexible on academic dimensions . . . I don't NEED a Marxist / critical program, I would just prefer one. Geography is the most inflexible for me . . . I'm not willing to live somewhere I hate for six years.

After reading this thread, I am actually really confused about what it is you want to do. You have Rochester as your top "reach" school, Cornell as #4 (these two schools seem to have very little in common), but want to do critical theory? Not to mention, York isn't even on your list of Canadian schools you're considering? Didn't you suggest in an earlier thread that you were considering specializing in political methodology?

A couple of things: first and most importantly, Marxist-critical approaches are not common in political science except in some parts of political theory. Are you sure you want to be in political science rather than another social science (sociology? anthro?) where they are more common? Second, if you want a decent chance at a teaching position somewhere you're willing to live for the rest of your career - which will last a LOT longer than six years - you would be well served to be flexible on the geography front. Third, your list of schools above doesn't make much sense to me. None of your reaches (as RWBG notes) are places that have a real concentration of people doing the kind of work you describe, nor do many of the big ten schools you list (to my knowledge).

Fair enough, but remember that if you care about location, you need to optimize over your lifetime. What if moving to New York now for 6 years maximizes your chances of getting a job on the west coast? You may or may not decide that is worth the cost if you hate NY, but you shouldn't rule it out without realizing the long term consequences.

After reading this thread, I am actually really confused about what it is you want to do. You have Rochester as your top "reach" school, Cornell as #4 (these two schools seem to have very little in common), but want to do critical theory? Not to mention, York isn't even on your list of Canadian schools you're considering? Didn't you suggest in an earlier thread that you were considering specializing in political methodology?

I strongly encourage him/her to apply to Rochester, and the weather at Cornell ain't much better if you're looking for commonalities.

Edited by coachrjc

After reading this thread, I am actually really confused about what it is you want to do. You have Rochester as your top "reach" school, Cornell as #4 (these two schools seem to have very little in common), but want to do critical theory? Not to mention, York isn't even on your list of Canadian schools you're considering?

York is not on my list because of its Toronto location.

Didn't you suggest in an earlier thread that you were considering specializing in political methodology?

Yes and no. I said I was considering in specializing in it, but decided not to because I didn't feel like I had a strong enough background in calculus. I'm still looking for a program that offers strong training in quantitative methods.

Edited by northstar22

A couple of things: first and most importantly, Marxist-critical approaches are not common in political science except in some parts of political theory. Are you sure you want to be in political science rather than another social science (sociology? anthro?) where they are more common?

I've thought about that, to be honest. I'm pretty sure I want to stick with political science, though, because the questions I'm looking to answer fit best within the field. I'm not married to critical theory, it's just one aspect that I'm looking for in a program. I certainly want to incorporate political theory/philospohy into my program as a secondary area of focus, but I'm avoiding it as a primary area because of the dismal job prospects for political theorists.

Second, if you want a decent chance at a teaching position somewhere you're willing to live for the rest of your career - which will last a LOT longer than six years - you would be well served to be flexible on the geography front.

Fair enough, but remember that if you care about location, you need to optimize over your lifetime. What if moving to New York now for 6 years maximizes your chances of getting a job . . . ? You may or may not decide that is worth the cost if you hate NY, but you shouldn't rule it out without realizing the long term consequences.

I'm flexible on the geography front (I'm open to schools any small- to mid-sized town in Canada, the Northeast, the Midwest, or the West), but there are some compromises I'm just not willing to make. Living in NYC, Toronto, or Chicago is one of them, living in the South is another. I'm prepared to endure the consequences, whatever it may be, of my decision.

Plus, I'm looking to teach at a small Midwestern (or Prairie Canadian) university after graduation. It doesn't need to be an R1 or a top-25 program . . . I'd be happy at a second- or third-tier university or even a SLAC.

Third, your list of schools above doesn't make much sense to me. None of your reaches (as RWBG notes) are places that have a real concentration of people doing the kind of work you describe, nor do many of the big ten schools you list (to my knowledge).

Rochester is on my reaches list because of their strength in quantitative research methods. Michigan is on the list because of overall program strength and location. Most of the Big Ten schools are on my list for their location.

Location is definitely one of the most important factors in choosing a school for me. I know that is unorthodox (some would call it stupid), but it is what it is. Some people are of the mindset of being able to live anywhere, but that's not me.

Edited by northstar22

wow now I am seriously confused. Anyways good luck. I have the feeling that you would like Toronto, it is not the typical American city but you know what you prefer.

Edited by kalapocska

Just remember this. When you are applying your application needs some sort of coherence or the programs will just toss it out because of the uncertainty of what you want to do. This is the point of 'research fit'. You have to have a clear vision of what you want and why. If you can do this in trying to link your interest in theory to testing it empirically you may be in luck, but it seems you need to do a better job of articulating your interests in each program you apply to.

Sorry if I'm the only one missing the obvious, but are you looking for a department with scholars who study Marxism/critical analysis or departments in which many scholars actually promote those theories? If it's the latter then I'd agree that you'll have trouble finding more than a token scholar or two in any given American department.

Hey Espresso,

Late to the party here but I'm in a similar position looking for a good fit for critical/pomo research orientation. I would also throw Univ. of Minnesota out there as a consideration. I have to second York as a suggestion just because they are bursting at the gills with Marxist and critical theorist. But I also fully sympathize with your location woes. It's a big commitment so location just has to be part of the calculus.

Happy hunting.

I am an MA politics student at the New School and what other posters have mentioned here is true. There is little funding for grad students here, including PhDs (the estimate I've gotten is maybe 1 in 6 students get fully funded at that level). Further, as an external applicant you'll be admitted to the MA program and be eligible when you reach a certain number of credits to apply internally (which usually takes at least 3 semesters). I don't have figures, but they are cutting back on applications since there are too few faculty (especially senior faculty) and too many MA students. There's also a low limit on the number of credits you can transfer in, if you have any. We also effectively don't have a library, since it's under construction, so we largely use nyu's.

But if this line of theory (and theory in general is your bag), this is probably the best place in the country to be, along perhaps w/UMASS, as others have mentioned. The department seems to be dominated by theory and the Marxist brand, and I guess critical (do you mean post-structural/post-modern?) are popular here.

I'm a comparativist myself with a strong interest in this structuralist/Marxist theory and this is the only politics program I'm applying too, other perhaps than York. I suppose there are other options in Canada, about which I don't know much. But you may have to make some choices between what you want to study and where. Good luck!

Edited by breaks0

• 2 months later...

Are there any political science programs out there that emphasize Marxist or critical analysis, or at least have a few professors that specialize in those areas? So far, of most of the programs that I have looked at, all have capitalist / neoliberal leanings and tend to emphasize rational choice theory.

For radical politics, UC Irvine Critical Theory emphasis which links to all graduate programs. Specifically Dr. Frank Wilderson, Dr. Jared Sexton, and the rest of the AfAm department. That's where I am studying, unparalleled scholarship.