Notifications, anyone?

Lizzle

AAARRRRGGGGGGGGGRRRRAAAAA! My status at my favorite school just changed to "Final/Dept Review" I know it means nothing probably, but suddenly I am having breathing trouble....

wheres that paper bag? *hyperventilating*

Sooo, the internet connection has been out in my area for over a day and I thought..yep when I get on there will be some news. Guess what? NADA!! Nothing in the mail either. What a total let down.

Most schools are getting ready to go on spring break...think they will get out results before or after?

Congrats, Tonights and Lizzle! Great news for both of you! Tonights, if you move up to Cambridge I can give you lots of advice on living in the area! (But it's a 20-30 minute bus ride from the BUMC campus, so maybe out of the way compared to the Boston side of the river. Still a GREAT "greater metropolitan area" to live in.)

It was a mixed news day for me - rejection from one of my top choices, acceptance to another program but with poor funding. Oh well, at least this will make the decision process easier. Only one more school I'm really eager to hear back from. *twiddles thumbs*

Any suggestions about what to do if you've gotten into a school you're very interested in but they don't have any money to help pay for the cost of a visit to the school?? I can't afford to visit if I have to pay for plane tickets out of pocket with no reimbursement from the department...

Depending on the distance, consider the train? It's slow, but can be much cheaper.

I emailed the grad sec at NYU for my rejection and all she said was that decisions have been made and they'll come in the mail within two weeks. No one has posted an acceptance to NYU--it seems like not that many people really use this site...

Also waiting for Princeton and Columbia.

Congrats, Tonights and Lizzle! Great news for both of you! Tonights, if you move up to Cambridge I can give you lots of advice on living in the area! (But it's a 20-30 minute bus ride from the BUMC campus, so maybe out of the way compared to the Boston side of the river. Still a GREAT "greater metropolitan area" to live in.)

It was a mixed news day for me - rejection from one of my top choices, acceptance to another program but with poor funding. Oh well, at least this will make the decision process easier. Only one more school I'm really eager to hear back from. *twiddles thumbs*

miratrix, have you heard from umass boston?

I emailed the grad sec at NYU for my rejection and all she said was that decisions have been made and they'll come in the mail within two weeks. No one has posted an acceptance to NYU--it seems like not that many people really use this site...

Also waiting for Princeton and Columbia.

Welcome, new to anthro. Everyone will be waiting for Columbia a while longer. I told my advisor I hadn't heard anything and he just said, "of course not. They're so disorganized it's a wonder they ever actually admit anyone!" And this is probably my top choice... :oops:

If you haven't heard anything from Princeton, that may be a good sign, since they put out a big batch of email rejections the other day. Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything concrete from GW Hominid Paleobiology or NYU Anthropology? I know they were still meeting with students over the weekend at the NYCEP Darwin conference and were set to meet again this week.

I emailed Brian Richmond after I got back from the conference and he said they went through a round of cuts this week and will make the final decisions next week. Not exactly "concrete" but it's something...

OSU confused me too! :?

Weird that we haven't received an email or some kind of contact from the department about admission. Maybe they are sending it snail mail style?

I got a call from a Columbus, Ohio number last night at 7, but they didn't leave a message. I'll be damned if I know anyone from Ohio, it has to be the school! Do I call the mystery number back? Or do I just wait for them to call again? They *will* call again, right?

That would be awesome. My contact person told me that I'm going to be able to totally cobble together my own personal curriculum (thank you, lord) and take classes not just at the medical school but also in the anthropology department proper, so I'm going to need some advice on a good place to live where I'll be able to get to either campus without too much trouble.

If I don't get into any doctoral programs, which is increasingly likely, I'm not going to be utterly crushed now. Only a wee bit crushed.

I emailed Brian Richmond after I got back from the conference and he said they went through a round of cuts this week and will make the final decisions next week. Not exactly "concrete" but it's something...

Did he actually concretely say whether or not you made the cut?

anyone heard from NYU, JHU and Brandeis?

As far as NYU is concerned, they are now just waiting to hear from the students they offered admission to. They accepted 5 and have spots for 4 from what I was told.

May I ask where you heard that from? Was it from NYU staff?

My friends in the program told me.

He said I was still in the running. I know the list before the most recent round of cuts had 12 people on it, and they're offering admission to 5 or 6.

I'm surprised they haven't finalized decisions already. It sounds so late compared to the previous years. Good luck!

Any idea when the final list gets out?

He said I was still in the running. I know the list before the most recent round of cuts had 12 people on it, and they're offering admission to 5 or 6.

Did he actually concretely say whether or not you made the cut?

As far as NYU is concerned, they are now just waiting to hear from the students they offered admission to. They accepted 5 and have spots for 4 from what I was told.

I see that there are 3 people who posted acceptance to ASU bioarchaeology and that they were phoned last week. I still haven't heard anything and my status on the website hasn't changed either. Should I keep waiting or should I write an email and see whats up?

I know I should be patient but if its gonna be bad news I'd rather get it over with. today.

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a little information on the status of applications at the following *linguistic or sociocultural* anthropology programs:

Chicago -- I know they extended some offers awhile ago, but I didn't get a rejection letter when some other people did. Ideas?

Stanford -- apparently there have also been offers, but I assume they move by subdiscipline. That or they're slow in sending out rejections.

NYU -- I noticed the chain above, but am curious as to whether the rumors pertain only to the posters' discipline.

I've got an offer that I'm 90% certain I'm going to take, but I'm waiting for funding to be verified. I suppose I'd like to be assured of my rejection from these programs (which offer guaranteed funding for five years) before I make any commitments. Granted, I guess I could just call up the offices...

I've got to wonder whether these schools' endowments taking such big hits is affecting their admissions timeline. Still, you'd think that budgets would have been set awhile ago...

Thanks for your help!