Wisconsin

living_in_paradise

This is a convenience sample, so I don't think it's representative at all. Come on, we got into what is ranked as the top program in the US, that's certain; let's just hope for the best about funding. I'm trying to think worst-case scenario now. Has anyone on this board ended up completely screwed by Wisconsin in previous years, as in accepted and then not given any funding? Any thoughts?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either the ppl here are not very representative sample of the appl pool , or uw-madison are accepting an exceptionally large cohort this year.

You forgot scenario #3: it's the internet and people might be full of crap :D

In all seriousness, scenario #1 is the most likely. But really, it's not that uncommon to catch people being dishonest on gradcafe. Hell, there's a whole thread about it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14694

Come on, we got into what is ranked as the top program in the US, that's certain; let's just hope for the best about funding.

I know. I am counting every single blessing. I was truly/sincerely/utterly shocked/confused/flabbergasted that I was even accepted, let alone given five years of funding and a univ-fellow nom.

I am hoping for the best. Also, given last year's admissions results, I think the next schools I'll hear from on my list are Berkeley, Stanford, and Princeton (that is.. if I get accepted!) in early/mid February.. if not March will be my downfall.

[i am hoping for the best. Also, given last year's admissions results, I think the next schools I'll hear from on my list are Berkeley, Stanford, and Princeton (that is.. if I get accepted!) in early/mid February.. if not March will be my downfall.]

waiting for the same schools myself....

anyone knows if they already started reviewing the app? when?

this waiting is killing me...

I know. I am counting every single blessing. I was truly/sincerely/utterly shocked/confused/flabbergasted that I was even accepted, let alone given five years of funding and a univ-fellow nom.

I think you got the emotions right -- down to the order. For the past 24 hours it's been all Madison, Madison in my head. I think it's one of my own defense mechanisms at this point, that I will totally get invested in whatever I have so that later rejections (which will undoubtedly come) will not have too much of an effect on me. I have also applied to twelve programs -- probably to roughly the same as you have, hardboiledegg -- thinking that I'd be happy pretty much anywhere I'd end up. I still believe that and am trying to hold on to that thought in this super-competitive admissions cycle.

I've been through this thing before -- four years ago -- and if I learned one lesson back then is that in the end the number of acceptances is a meaningless statistic once admissions are done. As my presence here indicates, I have yet to internalize that lesson though...

This has been such a nice thread =) Things get heated on this website if you haven't all noticed.

I can't wait to hear from other places, but I'm happy to be able to say that no matter the outcome of my other applications:

I'M GOING TO GRADUATE SCHOOL!!!!!

p.s. I think cal started notifying Feb 7 last year .. eep

I have two questions/comments. First, where is the results page (so I could be another statistics)? Secondly, since some have heard about funding on this thread, should I interpret the following as "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"?

"I am sure that funding your graduate career at Wisconsin is a concern. Some, but by no means all, students come here with support in their first year. For those who come with no advance support, many pick it up once they have arrived or soon after. Usually, if a student has a successful academic year, he or she will find funding through various kinds of assistantships by the second year. There are a variety of mechanisms to obtain support. Please visit the website http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/soc/grad/admissions.php#funding to see what some of these mechanisms are."

I am surprised to even get admitted (given how my profile has been evaluated in this forum), but I, too, would be unable to attend without aid (unfortunately). I envy those who have gotten guaranteed funding. I wish everyone else luck with their apps this year!

~Socio

Greetings to all, this is my first time on thegradcafe. I too received an admissions notice to Wisconsin-Madison on Monday (!!!) though not without the notice that I was being considered for a university fellowship...grrr. Much congratulations to all those who did though. As far as funding goes, I too am curious about when admitted applicants are told about their financing. Is it possible that they won't inform us regarding funding one way or the other until after we accept their offer?! That seems cruel and unfair. In the meantime, I'm trying as much as possible to enjoy the moment and let the rest of the cards that I have out there (including funding) fall on their own time table that is until March when I begin to panic!

I have two questions/comments. First, where is the results page (so I could be another statistics)? Secondly, since some have heard about funding on this thread, should I interpret the following as "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"?

"I am sure that funding your graduate career at Wisconsin is a concern. Some, but by no means all, students come here with support in their first year. For those who come with no advance support, many pick it up once they have arrived or soon after. Usually, if a student has a successful academic year, he or she will find funding through various kinds of assistantships by the second year. There are a variety of mechanisms to obtain support. Please visit the website http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/soc/grad/admissions.php#funding to see what some of these mechanisms are."

I am surprised to even get admitted (given how my profile has been evaluated in this forum), but I, too, would be unable to attend without aid (unfortunately). I envy those who have gotten guaranteed funding. I wish everyone else luck with their apps this year!

~Socio

Haha no soup for you kind of sounds like the translation, based on the messages others posters are putting up.

On the bright side, if you got into Wisconsin, chances are it won't be the only program you are admitted to.

Honestly, the only response I could give would be (most likely incorrect) conjecture. Funding for you may not be certain until students who have been offered funding decline. OR You may have funding and the department hasn't released it yet. I wouldn't assume anything until you get a letter with dollar signs on it $$$

They told me that the results of the university competition for fellowships should be complete by mid Feb, during the week of the 23rd.

Honestly, the only response I could give would be (most likely incorrect) conjecture. Funding for you may not be certain until students who have been offered funding decline. OR You may have funding and the department hasn't released it yet. I wouldn't assume anything until you get a letter with dollar signs on it $$$

They told me that the results of the university competition for fellowships should be complete by mid Feb, during the week of the 23rd.

Yeah, it seems pretty sneaky of them to speak in 3rd person like that. I think it means they don't have anything for you immediately, so now is a good time to look into exterior funding, but it doesn't mean they won't have anything for you before you enroll... maybe?

for those of you who are crazy nervous about funding and such, EMAIL BOB FREELAND. don't explicitly mention funding, but say that you are flattered, warmed, whatever to be accepted into Madison and ask his advice on how to proceed from here.

i did this in a pleasant email, and got a whole LOAD of information about my professors, resources, AND which fellowship I am being considered for and where they are in the process. I didn't receive a university fellowship, but i am being considered for another one. (they didn't tell me about this in my original acceptance email). Dr. Freeland is very warm and kind and so utterly helpful, and without knowing it, completely calmed my fears about funding.

also, if you are a minority student (like myself... I'm Black), then contact some members of the MRRC (Minority Recruitment and Retention Committee) expressing your undying love and respect and interest in being at the Sociology program at Madison. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from you.

hope this helps everyone, and congratulations! I hope to see ya'll there no matter what our other grad schools may say to seduce us, lol.

for those of you who are crazy nervous about funding and such, EMAIL BOB FREELAND. don't explicitly mention funding, but say that you are flattered, warmed, whatever to be accepted into Madison and ask his advice on how to proceed from here.

i did this in a pleasant email, and got a whole LOAD of information about my professors, resources, AND which fellowship I am being considered for and where they are in the process. I didn't receive a university fellowship, but i am being considered for another one. (they didn't tell me about this in my original acceptance email). Dr. Freeland is very warm and kind and so utterly helpful, and without knowing it, completely calmed my fears about funding.

also, if you are a minority student (like myself... I'm Black), then contact some members of the MRRC (Minority Recruitment and Retention Committee) expressing your undying love and respect and interest in being at the Sociology program at Madison. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from you.

hope this helps everyone, and congratulations! I hope to see ya'll there no matter what our other grad schools may say to seduce us, lol.

Bob Freeland officially hates you now.

I would say, stop worrying for now. It's not a mistake, you did get in if you got the e-mail. My UCLA status for instance shows that they haven't received anything, but I also got an acceptance there. Btw, there is a slight bureaucratic disconnect between the departmental "recommendation" and the official graduate school acceptance. As far as I know at top schools this is a mere formality, but they still have to stick to the script where the grad school is the one making the ultimate offer. What you're seeing on the Wisconsin website is the status of your materials in your graduate school file, not in the department.

I would say, stop worrying for now. It's not a mistake, you did get in if you got the e-mail. My UCLA status for instance shows that they haven't received anything, but I also got an acceptance there. Btw, there is a slight bureaucratic disconnect between the departmental "recommendation" and the official graduate school acceptance. As far as I know at top schools this is a mere formality, but they still have to stick to the script where the grad school is the one making the ultimate offer. What you're seeing on the Wisconsin website is the status of your materials in your graduate school file, not in the department.

word.

i know , but i'm worried since other ppl wrote here that their status changed to "your department has recomended you for admission" so i don't know what that means...

a bit paranoid ? :-)

Hope this helps those of you who got admission into the Wisc-Mad program and are wondering about the effects of your super generic "dear applicant" letter (Yes, when the department writes to you, it means you are in : the "recommendation" email = acceptance) .

(a) if you have not been nominated for a university fellowship, the chances of another fellowship from the university/non-work type support is pretty much nil.

(B) if you are hoping for support in the form of TA or RA jobs, then chances are pretty good, but there's no guarantee. (I got a ton of information from Bob Freeland about the admits in F2006 and F2007, all of whom ended up getting some sort of support. Last year, 26 of 28 students did, meaning two had no jobs/support of any kind.)

HOWEVER, frustratingly, decisions about support in the form of TAs and RAs are not made until after the April 15 deadline for accepting or declining admission. (This has to do with the way budgeting is carried out at UW) and therefore, if you have not heard from them yet about funding (which should have been on that email), you are going to have to wait past admit weekend and/or accepting your place to know if you are going to get a ride.

Good luck to all of you!

Is anyone getting funding for the visit day? I didn't assume I would get any, but I'm curious when they say "we are unable to provide travel funds for Visit Day" if they mean that for everyone, or just those who don't have funding.

As far as I know, no one gets funds for visit day - I was offered 5 yrs guaranteed as an RA but am not getting any help with travel funds.

On a side note, does anyone have any insight into the hotels they mention? Since I'm traveling with my husband and son, I doubt that grad students will be able to house us.

As far as I know, no one gets funds for visit day - I was offered 5 yrs guaranteed as an RA but am not getting any help with travel funds.

On a side note, does anyone have any insight into the hotels they mention? Since I'm traveling with my husband and son, I doubt that grad students will be able to house us.

Nope. Noone gets funding for visitor's day. I already emailed Freeland and asked.

Re: housing options, you should call NOW and see if either Lowell Hall ((608) 262-1583) or the Double Tree ((608) 251-5511) has rooms (in that order of preference). I have stayed at both hotels and Lowell is most convinient (and right next to Memorial Hall, which is a nice place to just hang around and Madison watch, especially if you are traveling with family - of course, this is weather permitting). Of course, they fill up really fast and given that its admit weekend, everything will be booked. You should also try and see if they have rooms at the Madison Concourse Hotel, which is closer to Capitol hill and a bit of a walk - but its a nice walk on State Street (which is where all the food and shopping places are). But the MCH might be pricey - so you should check. Either way - Call NOW!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Nope. Noone gets funding for visitor's day. I already emailed Freeland and asked.

Re: housing options, you should call NOW and see if either Lowell Hall ((608) 262-1583) or the Double Tree ((608) 251-5511) has rooms (in that order of preference). I have stayed at both hotels and Lowell is most convinient (and right next to Memorial Hall, which is a nice place to just hang around and Madison watch, especially if you are traveling with family - of course, this is weather permitting). Of course, they fill up really fast and given that its admit weekend, everything will be booked. You should also try and see if they have rooms at the Madison Concourse Hotel, which is closer to Capitol hill and a bit of a walk - but its a nice walk on State Street (which is where all the food and shopping places are). But the MCH might be pricey - so you should check. Either way - Call NOW!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

They are giving me full funding for the visit day for travel expenses and housing.

hey,

did anyone receive the official letter of admission ?

i was also accepted and just receive an e.mail about visiting day but no official letter yet! i don't know if it has anything to do with me being (1) an international student or (2) nominated for the university fellowship?

any thoughts?