Dual Degree Questions - MPP and Environmental Studies

Pecota

I am interested in working in environmental and energy policy through federal agencies, government, non-profits, or lobbying/advocacy organizations. I have a solid science and technology background from my undergrad degree, as well as a few years of work experience as a consultant for a federal agency. My hope was to expand my current background into public policy, while bolstering my environmental sector skill set.

As such, some of the dual degree programs in public policy and environment have caught my eye, specifically Michigan, Duke, and Indiana.

However, I'm not at all sure that going for the dual degree would be worth it. I know if I were to pick one over the other, I'd lean towards the environment side, but the combination of both seems like it could potentially be a very powerful tool in the field I'm interested in working in.

Has anyone enrolled in or completed one of these programs? Anyone else thinking of applying?

Some concerns:

* Was the added cost of staying three years, as opposed to two, worth it to get that second degree?

* What does the MPP add that additional work experience and some supplemental training wouldn't?

* If I'm looking to work for a non-profit, would they value an environmental degree with a policy concentration that much less than a dual degree in both areas?

* If I wanted to work more closely with lawmakers and leadership (Congress, city planners, etc.), would the MPP be worthwhile preparation for me to effectively advise and collaborate with such groups?

* I'm interested more in analysis, creation, and enforcement of policy and regulations, rather than management/administration of organizations. Is an MPP worth it for me?

This post, and thread, should be helpful:

I'd also advise you to look into the MPA programs offered at the University of Maryland, Syracuse, and University of Washington. All are reputable, and all offer environment-oriented concentrations that would likely align with your interests. It's not at all necessary to pursue a dual degree, particularly if you're unsure about the MPP/MPA's utility in such a scenario. The MPA at Indiana permits you to take quite a bit of environmental coursework, for instance -- and for that matter, their MSES program isn't quite up to the level of the MPA.

Furthermore, the MESM at UC Santa Barbara might suit you well: http://www.bren.ucsb...b_env_mgmt.asp. "EPE students acquire knowledge about interactions between the public sector and the private sector and about the impact of political processes on efforts to solve environmental problems. In the process, they learn how to identify and evaluate policy options and to communicate the results to policymakers and regulators in an effective manner. ... Students taking this specialization find employment with local, state, and national governments as well as with intergovernmental organizations, firms subject to environmental policies, and consulting groups dealing with the management of environmental resources."