Looking to swap SOP's with someone applying to liberal arts programs (ideally, medieval history, but I don't think there are a ton of us around so... ). I'm a tad at a loss with my own SOP, since I feel like it's atrocious but don't really know how to improve it since I feel like anything self-complimentary will sound odd to my own ears. I love to edit other people's papers as well (it's a weird passion that should suit me well as a TA), so I'd really like to see what other History applicants have come up with (it'll also give me an idea whether my own is as poor as I think it is).

Loimographia--

Which course of action will benefit you more: (i) having fellow aspiring history graduate students look at your SOP or (ii) having professors (and maybe grad students) look at your SOP?

I don't expect something (for someone else to look at my SOP for me) in exchange for nothing (not editing their paper in exchange). I thought it would only be fair to ask for feedback from those whom I can offer the same in exchange. That said, I've had a professor look at my paper, but unfortunately I know him to have oddly low standards for his students, so I don't trust his opinion much. Meanwhile, I no longer live in my college town so I don't have easy access to talk to my former profs and TA's about my SOP. I asked one of my LOR profs to take a look, but he's busy and slow to respond, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here for additional input. Your question implies that I can only get input from either fellow students OR profs and grad students, but that's just not the case.

I've been out of school for eight years. I haven't asked for much from anyone in that time. Now, I'm collecting my karmic debts - I am asking friends who are grad students, prospective advisors, everyone I can, to look over my SOP. I just ask politely, let them know I know they are busy, and that if they get a chance to glance at it, I'd be much obliged. Many say yes. Some ignore me. It took me years to change my attitude about freely asking - and giving - help. But if you make a commitment to help others when the time comes, perhaps it will be easier to ask others for help right now.

And these professionals' advice is invaluable.

Your question implies that I can only get input from either fellow students OR profs and grad students, but that's just not the case.

L--

With respect, you are confusing your inference for the implication of my question. Metaphorically, the point I was attempting to make is that there's a difference between getting driving tips from people learning how to drive and those who have a driver's license and teach driver's ed. for a living.

I should also point out that in some cases it can be okay to ask a fellow aPplicant for critique when the said applicant's adviser and professors are out of touch with graduate admissions. I'm not sure of this case but the another can be flawed. Applicants share information and the kind of feedback that they get from their aware professors.

I'd offer to look yours over for you, but I doubt reviewing mine would be of particular help to you as over in Europe they are -very- differently focused (Oxford even states that they should not be like those usually required in North America!). Despite calling it a 'personal statement', personal story barely factors into it. Instead it should be short and succinct, addressing:

1.Why do you want to study the course you are applying for? (brief)

2.How are you academically and otherwise qualified to begin this course?

3.Why should we give you a place above other candidates?

4.What will you do with your degree once you have graduated?

Nevertheless, if you would like me to have a gander I'd be perfectly happy to do so.