Will my low GRE quant score keep me from getting into a genetics program?

redflower906

I took the revised GRE in August and recently received my scores. My verbal score was pretty high (96th percentile, 690 under the old grading scale, and 165 under the new grading scale). Unfortunately, my quantitative score was sub-par (53rd percentile, 630/150). My A.W. score was also low (4.0).

I'm worried that my low quant score will make my application less appealing to the admissions councils for PhD programs in genetics. I know that it also depends on the individual schools and the rest of my application, but I'm just worried that my quant score is so far below the average for those in biology/biomedical programs that my application will be disregarded. There isn't that much time to retake the GRE, and I'd really rather not have to take it again unless I have to.

FYI, my GPA is a 3.57 (although I still have two semesters to finish) and I have approximately 6 months of laboratory research.

Thank you!

Are you a domestic applicant or an international applicant? I think the standard is lower for domestic applicants, as long as you have a combined score of 1200 with quantitative higher than 600 (under the old scoring system) and AW not lower than 4, it's not going to keep you from being accepted unless you aim for the prestigious schools... Your stats are better than mine, and I accepted to a science program.

I'm not sure how much research experience you need to have, but students in my cohort have at least 3 years of research on average before matriculation. This varies between programs.

I am a domestic applicant, and I'm going to apply to mid-level schools. Although, do you think that those scores would be too low for UVA?

Also, three years?! I know you said this varies between programs, but is that anywhere near average? If so, the amount of research I have is seriously lacking...

I wouldn't retake the GRE. At anything other than the most competitive schools, your scores are fine. I'd put the time into your SOP, emphasizing why the school is a good fit for you. Lots of people have similar numbers, so a well crafted SOP can be the thing that gets you in over someone else.

As for UVa, I'd say you have a shot, and if that's a school you'd really like to go to, go for it. Even if your numbers aren't knock-your-socks-off, with a good SOP, I think you're a plausible admit.

Haha Xanthan, thanks. That makes me feel better. I knew I didn't have any shot at getting into a top tier school, I just hope I can get into the schools I apply to. UVA is the best school I'll be applying to, so if I can get in there I'll be really happy.