Professors interested at first, then no response?

CageFree

I've emailed a few professors, who replied very enthusiastically and asked me a few questions. After a couple more exchanges, two haven't replied back in at least a couple of weeks.

One of them is at my top choice school and I would really like to work with... the professor said they wanted to meet up with me (the school is within driving distance), and asked a question about where I work.

I emailed a second time thinking it may have gotten lost with junk mail, but I have not gotten a reply to that either. I have no reason to think there was anything bad about my last e-mail, but I don't know what to do. The initial emails encouraged me to apply.

Also, I've emailed a couple of others and gotten no response. Should I take that as a lack of interest and just not apply there at all?

Should I take that as a lack of interest and just not apply there at all?

TG--

LTNS. I'd take the silence as an indication of how busy the professors are. In addition to their teaching responsibilities, they've got committee work to do, and the omnipresent pressure of 'publish or perish.'

Consider alternate forms of communication.

HTH.

I don't know why a phone call would be out of line. You're not calling the person at home. IMO, the options are:

• Phone call to POI's job (departmental line or direct line, take your pick),
  • physical letter, (maybe with a self addressed envelop enclosed),
  • "pop in" during POI's office hours.

If you've had good positive e-mails and you have to take a day off from work to "visit" them and you don't hear from them (try one more time this week) by Thanksgiving, then don't sweat it. It's on them if they don't get a chance to meet you. You've already created a positive impression so you can just let it go if you can't squeeze in any kind of communication before December.

Also you don't even know who else in the department may be interested in your application and want to work with you more than some of the others.

I think that calling would be a bad idea. A potential student appearing to be too needy/anxious can be a big red flag. I mean, we all really are needy and anxious and good advisers are willing and able to help you through the worst of these episodes. Nevertheless, they want to be reasonably confident that you are not going to overburden them. I would suggest that you take a breath, wait for these people to reply to you (remember also that younger people, who have spent most of their lives in the digital age, have different expectations about what constitutes a reasonably response time) and apply anyways even if you don't hear back from them.

(remember also that younger people, who have spent most of their lives in the digital age, have different expectations about what constitutes a reasonably response time)

LoL--

Have you read (i) viewed teachforgrad's profile or (ii) any of that user's previous posts? Might it be possible that some who have done both might be offering guidance specifically tailored to teachforgrad's circumstances?

Edited by Sigaba

for what it's worth, since i've been in my program not a single person that came to visit before being admitted was actually accepted to my program. i'd lay back a bit and let the prof reestablish contact, and if you get admitted, then ask about visiting.

I think that calling would be a bad idea. A potential student appearing to be too needy/anxious can be a big red flag. I mean, we all really are needy and anxious and good advisers are willing and able to help you through the worst of these episodes. Nevertheless, they want to be reasonably confident that you are not going to overburden them.

Depends. If the professor has already made offers to meet, read writing samples or statements, or talk over the phone, the professor's asking for it. But it's up to the applicant to use the time very wisely. If all you're going to do is talk about nothing, then I would think it's a red flag. Make sure whatever you do in terms of "asking" are actually productive and beneficial to you and possibly them. It also depends on their personalities. Some are more hands off and others are very hands on.

I think that each professor (like every person really) is completely different and handle emails and phone calls differently. Just something to keep in mind that calmed me down a bit when I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago.