take what I can get or wait? is a bird in the hand worth 2 in the bush?

phetish

So here's my situation:

I am a non-traditional student that returned to finish an undergrad degree (in May 2012) after almost 20 years out of school and I would like to go for a Masters.

I have a wife that has a job that she doesn't want to leave yet, but will likely be ready to move on in a couple years - not to mention that we have a certain wanderlust that hits every so often and we end up moving across country for some reason.

I expect I can get accepted to the graduate program at the local state school next fall and get funded however it is not a great school.

And here's my question:

Should I go ahead and get the masters now while the wife finishes out her time at her current job, or should I wait 2 years and apply to a better school and let that lead us to our next location?

I realize there is no "right" answer, but I'm curious what others might think if they were in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Derek

S -

Good question! I haven't thought much about that part of it. I know I should do something that would set me apart when I go to apply for grad school later, but what that is... it's unknown to me at this point.

It's questions like yours that will help me flesh out my thoughts - thank you!

D

Hi R -

I am on 2 paths, teaching (preferably at small/community college with a masters or a university with a PhD) or the Foreign Service/State Dept - both would benefit from or require a Masters along the way.

However, the local state university does not have a PhD in my chosen area so I would definitely have to to go somewhere else for a PhD.

D

Were I in your situation, I would apply to the local program and then evaluate my options if I were admitted. (For example, if you get in, are offered funding, and the economy still looks bad, hunkering down in a research library for a year or two might not be a bad way to go.)

Meanwhile, consider the value of doing some background research on what preparatory steps to take for joining the foreign service. For example, are you ready for the background check for a security clearance? (What level of PERSEC have you and your wife demonstrated on the internet? How is your credit? Do you have unpaid parking tickets or any other minor unresolved legal issues that are going to raise flags? Is there anything funky about your travel patterns? Do you have any unsettled rivalries with "freinemies" who could sandbag you when they get a phone call? Have you articulated any "out there" political views--IMO, this could be key if the GOP retakes the White House in 2012?)

You might also consider the value of finding ways to assess your competition. OIF and OEF are winding down and Defense is dropping the hammer in a very big way on its manpower costs. So you may have a lot of competition for spots in State from men and women who already have spent time oversees, have the language skills, have the security clearances, and have some of the training to do the job you want.

HTH.

S -

Thank you so much for your comments! I had not considered the return of members of the military and the timing of my application to the State Dept. I don't think I would have any issues in my FS app, but you never know - and the competition might be higher than I expected.

I am definitely going to submit my apps to see what I get, but withhold my decisions until I see the packages and weigh that against the future possibilities.

As a side note, I spoke with one of my profs who knows my work, grades and GRE and was told that I would be virtually guaranteed funding at the school.

Thanks again!

D

• 4 weeks later...

I am also a non-traditional or returning student. It's really tough to get back in the swing of school, eh? Once you have, I think it's important to stay involved. Even if you don't want to get a degree in Oklahoma, perhaps you can look into to taking classes that are non-terminal for a degree program. This might mean paying a little money, but I'm guessing the State school is somewhat affordable.

I did this quite a bit in Boston; took a class here and there at UMASS or Harvard's Extension school, which is an affordable evening school Harvard opens to the community. When it came time to get serious and apply for competative programs, I think it only helped to show that I had been engaged in organized studies for several years while I chose a final direction.

As far as my personal growth is concerned, sampling courses with the occasional "audit" or non-credit class when I was very busy at work did help me explore my subject without any pressure, strengthened my background in related areas and helped me to decide what might be a good specialty for me and what wasn't.