Turning down offers before you get them?

aec

Ok, so I applied to 5 PhD programs and 5 MA programs. I got accepted with funding to one of the PhD programs! Now, 2ish of those MA programs I know I would not attend for sure, should I not say anything and let them make their decisions, or save them the trouble of reviewing my app and let them know?

I think you should withdraw your app. You can imagine how happy someone who would otherwise have been waitlisted would be if there were now space to accept them because you withdrew!

Congratulations, by the way!!

Agreed. Keep in mind in your withdrawl letter you don't have to mention specifics. Try to make it amicable, you never know when you make have to deal with the department again.

To Whom it May Concern:

I have been accepted with funding to a program that is ranked substantially higher than yours. I would like to take this opportunity to say that ya'll cant handle this shit. Please remove my application from consideration, so that some poor sap may have the spot I most assuredly would have been given at your mediocre university.

All best,

AEC

To Whom it May Concern:

I have been accepted with funding to a program that is ranked substantially higher than yours. I would like to take this opportunity to say that ya'll cant handle this shit. Please remove my application from consideration, so that some poor sap may have the spot I most assuredly would have been given at your mediocre university.

All best,

AEC

Perfect.

Hahaha, we can only hope I was more considerate. It is an awkward note to write...

I withdrew a law school application a few years ago. The school was taking forever to make a decision, I'd been admitted to a top program already, which made me even more irritated that the school was taking forever. So I withdrew and specifically noted where I would be attending and that therefore there was no need for them to further consider my application. But looking back, I probably would have been more circumspect.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this with 4/7 schools last year, and I think it is overall a good thing to do. As a grad student we had to fill out bioforms that stated other schools we were accepted to. It would have been nice if I could have added places like Hopkins (withdrew immediately after interview) to this form, but I could not because of the withdrawl. This may influence the funding of the school I am currently at, but I do not know for sure.

Thanks - I had this very same question to ask! Already I don't think I have any need for the safety MA-program I applied to, and I don't want to go hassle the professor who forgot to send a reference-letter to it if I'm almost certain that I'm not going to go there.