Frustrated with a school...

LadyL

So I was rereading the emails I got from all the departments I applied to (because what else do you do when anxiously waiting to hear back from schools). I realized that all the schools I've applied to have been really decent about communication - i.e confirming materials were received, answering questions - except one.

This school nearly gave me a heart attack because some time between October (when I did my research on program deadlines) and January they *moved up* their deadline. By two weeks. Thankfully they decided to still accept apps. until the original deadline (probably because of the panicked phone calls of people like me).

Then, I wasn't able to fill out an online app. because I'd applied previously. It wouldn't let me create a new application, OR a new web account. I called the department and they said to contact IT. I did and never heard back from them.

So I mailed in a paper application, which I confirmed was delivered. I emailed to see if they got my transcripts, LORs, etc. and never heard back.

I should probably call and follow up again, but I'm really not motivated to considering their track record. Incidentally a friend of mine is attending the same grad school but a different program, and when I mentioned these frustrations her advice was to go somewhere else if I could because it's so bureaucratic!

Anyone else let down by a school after applying? It stinks to put all that work into an app. only for the school to seem less and less appealing! I know all schools have their bureaucratic elements but this one is taking the cake. Am I writing them off way too soon?

The school I had ranked as my #1 option before I filled out applications is now hovering somewhere in the "also ran" area. It's interesting to see how quickly things can go from great to meh.

MIT's application was awful, and they are the one school I have heard nothing from. I believe they have all my materials, but they have no application status checker whatsoever and they have not contacted myself or any applicants -- at least hat I know of.

The admins and academics are in very separate worlds. I know it's frustrating, but what you're going through has very little to do with what the majority of your experiences will be like at that school. I would advise you not to discount it too quickly.

LOL, I know this all too well. I'm a graduate coordinator for a very large program in engineering. The fact that some of these schools don't have their act together -- not on admissions, but on materials -- is inexcusable, especially at this stage in the game.

The school I had ranked as my #1 option before I filled out applications is now hovering somewhere in the "also ran" area. It's interesting to see how quickly things can go from great to meh.

I'm in a similar situation. It's amazing how a school that takes more than 3 weeks to respond to a simple yes/no factual inquiry can really hurt their image; not that they care I'm sure.