2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Sorry to hear about that - I wish that you could have gotten in. :(

hmm... well they gave me my official offer via website today - $21,500 + $1,405 fellowship + $7,935 summer = $30,840/year for the first year.

Edited by InquilineKea

Sorry to hear about that - I wish that you could have gotten in. :(

hmm... well they gave me my official offer via website today - $21,500 + $1,405 fellowship + $7,935 summer = $30,840/year for the first year.

Its ok...it looks like non official MSc offer i got is with a person who was advised by my POI at brown... so the type of research hasn't been lost just the school

Rejected from harvard eps today via post. Good luck to everyone else! I botched my application on this one but I expected to get rejected anyway even if I hadn't.

Sorry to hear that.. All the best on your future decisions.. They should be out soon, no??

Thank you! :) I'm hoping within the next few weeks I will hear from the other 2 schools I applied to. Fingers Crossed!

Thank you! :) I'm hoping within the next few weeks I will hear from the other 2 schools I applied to. Fingers Crossed!

Still waiting on 3... I'm pretty sure we have at least one application in common ( :ph34r:), and it would be absolutely awesome if we both got in, though I suspect that might require a miracle. Also crossing fingers.

Still waiting on 3... I'm pretty sure we have at least one application in common ( :ph34r:), and it would be absolutely awesome if we both got in, though I suspect that might require a miracle. Also crossing fingers.

Goodluck to the both of us! You never know, miracles do happen.... :)

You never know, miracles do happen.... :)

I keep going between telling myself that, and telling myself to focus on the other schools so I'm not totally destroyed if I get rejected.

I keep going between telling myself that, and telling myself to focus on the other schools so I'm not totally destroyed if I get rejected.

Not that I won't be pretty destroyed anyway. <_<

Just registered as I've been browsing for the last month or so and thought I ought to contribute something. Here's my status of now:

Applied: UMich SNRE, Columbia SIPA, Yale School of Forestry, Berkeley ERG

As of now I've heard from ERG (rejected) and SNRE (accepted). SNRE was definitely a top pick for me so I'm pretty excited! Hoping everyone has equally positive results.

Just registered as I've been browsing for the last month or so and thought I ought to contribute something. Here's my status of now:

Applied: UMich SNRE, Columbia SIPA, Yale School of Forestry, Berkeley ERG

As of now I've heard from ERG (rejected) and SNRE (accepted). SNRE was definitely a top pick for me so I'm pretty excited! Hoping everyone has equally positive results.

welcome to gradcafe! And congrats on the acceptance!

Hi guys I'm also just registered,

Undergrad school : Upper mid-ish private university ranked 30~40 on USNews

Cum GPA: 3.78

Major GPA: 3.98

Major: Earth Sciences

Minor: Double minor in Environmental Science and Math

GRE: Q 87% V98% W48%

Undergrad research experience: Worked on ICP-AES & MS as undergrad to analyze marine sediments, still working on a senior thesis also using the ICP MS to analyze the chemistry in salt marsh interstitial water and one field season in Dry Valleys, Antarctica.

Publications: Two presentations/posters at AGU'11 (none of them as main author and I personally didn't attend the conference because I was doing my fieldwork in Antarctica)

Accepted : UofRochester (Ph.D)

Rejected: MIT/WHOI

Waiting: MIT EAPS, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn (all Ph.D)

So I have a question, I already had an informal meeting with my POI over at MIT, and we had a nice chat. However he was hinting that he probably would need a more experienced/senior student than someone who is fresh from an undergrad. The story is although I was applying both to the Joint program and MIT EAPS I'm basically applying to the same person. Since I got rejected from the Joint program does that mean my application to MIT EAPS is also toast or there is still a chance for me to get in there. I want to send an email asking the POI to clarify this but I'm kinda afraid to bother him and don't know what to say

@meki4life: No you're not toast. They are two separate programs, thus two different admission processes. I called them to clarify this back in November.

You still have a chance at MIT. I don't think sending the POI an email would hurt any, since you've already had some good contact with them.

Met 2 prospectives at UChicago yesterday.

Prospective 1 (female, mineral physics): Accepted at UChicago and Michigan (and deciding between the two)

Prospective 2 (female, mantle dynamics): Accepted at UChicago and applied to a bunch of others (but somewhat hesitant to reveal the other schools)

Met 2 prospectives at UChicago yesterday. Prospective 1 (female, mineral physics): Accepted at UChicago and Michigan (and deciding between the two) Prospective 2 (female, mantle dynamics): Accepted at UChicago and applied to a bunch of others (but somewhat hesitant to reveal the other schools)

mineral physics...you don't hear that very often.

mineral physics...you don't hear that very often.

Mineral physics was a lot of fun... that's one of the angles from which I want to approach marine geophysics. You can learn a lot about mantle dynamics from combining seismology, lattice and crystal growth processes, and stress/strain relationships. Granted, it's a sea (ha!) of matrix algebra, but it's amazingly interesting, too.

Mineral physics was a lot of fun... that's one of the angles from which I want to approach marine geophysics. You can learn a lot about mantle dynamics from combining seismology, lattice and crystal growth processes, and stress/strain relationships. Granted, it's a sea (ha!) of matrix algebra, but it's amazingly interesting, too.

It sounds really interesting, actually. Definitely right up my alley!