Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

I hate to disappoint, but I am the BU archaeology admit. Last year they gave me an unfunded offer in March, so maybe they do multiple waves of admits? Or maybe I was considered separately because I counted as a deferred application? In that case, don't give up hope yet. Good luck!

Pius Aeneas, I know of at least one person who applied to BU last year for an MA and was offered a PhD with no guaranteed funding, but could compete for TAships after the first year.

Pius Aeneas, I know of at least one person who applied to BU last year for an MA and was offered a PhD with no guaranteed funding, but could compete for TAships after the first year.

That's good to hear. I really like BU's program, but the lack of funding for the MA is a bit of an issue. However, I've kept my undergrad debt pretty low, so the example you mentioned with footing the cost for one year if offered the PhD wouldn't be so bad. Btw, is this the only instance where you've heard about someone being offered a place for the higher degree?

Looks like IPCAA is rejecting via snail mail... Now I'll dread checking my mailbox for a potentially similar letter from Michigan regarding IPGRH.

You'd think email would be simpler. Not that there isn't something to be said for physical mail, but really. *sigh*

Does anyone know what it means to be an alternate for a GSAS fellowship?

Bryn Mawr? I got that too. I appear to have a tuition waiver but no stipend. It looks like the GSAS fellowship is a 15k/year stipend. See: http://www.brynmawr.edu/gsas/Resources/financial_support.html

Good luck!

That's good to hear. I really like BU's program, but the lack of funding for the MA is a bit of an issue. However, I've kept my undergrad debt pretty low, so the example you mentioned with footing the cost for one year if offered the PhD wouldn't be so bad. Btw, is this the only instance where you've heard about someone being offered a place for the higher degree?

I don't know of any other Classics/Archaeology cases, and I certainly don't think it is normal to accept a MA applicant for a PhD, but I think I saw another case in a different forum here. Art History maybe? I know that AZ doesn't have a PhD in the Classics department to accept up a level, but I don't know anything about Missouri.

Bryn Mawr? I got that too. I appear to have a tuition waiver but no stipend. It looks like the GSAS fellowship is a 15k/year stipend. See: http://www.brynmawr....al_support.html

Good luck!

Cool! Congrats! I'm just wondering what they mean by "alternate". Does that mean we're on a waiting list? I did get the tuition award as well. Oh and for some reason, this part of their website says the GSAS fellowship is 17k/year. hmmm... which to believe...

http://www.brynmawr.edu/gsas/Admissions/financial_aid.html

I just found out I'm in at UVa! I'm so excited!! This is more than consolation for a UPenn rejection ( they were apparently busy at the chopping block this morning!) I didn't have a single top choice for the schools I applied at, but UVa was definitely in my top 3.

I don't know of any other Classics/Archaeology cases, and I certainly don't think it is normal to accept a MA applicant for a PhD, but I think I saw another case in a different forum here. Art History maybe? I know that AZ doesn't have a PhD in the Classics department to accept up a level, but I don't know anything about Missouri.

That's what I thinking--I know some places do it the other way around, they'll accept students for the MA who applied for the PhD.

Btw congrats to everyone who has recently been accepted to (some great!) programs.

I just found out I'm in at UVa! I'm so excited!! This is more than consolation for a UPenn rejection ( they were apparently busy at the chopping block this morning!) I didn't have a single top choice for the schools I applied at, but UVa was definitely in my top 3.

Congrats! Had you interviewed for them before they offered you?

I got into Bryn Mawr with the GSAS fellowship. Its $15,000 for the school year and another $2500 for the summer...so comes out to $17,500 for the year.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks! And congrats on the fellowship! Are you planning on accepting? I'm leaning towards accepting so we may end up being classmates. =P

Congrats! Two of my undergrad professors got their PhD's from UVa - they both loved the program there and life in Charlottesville.

Congrats! I wish the Penn chopping block would come visit me. Actually, I wish for acceptance, but I doubt that's happening at this point. I still haven't heard from AAMW even though Ancient History and Classics have their rejections.

I got into Bryn Mawr with the GSAS fellowship. Its $15,000 for the school year and another $2500 for the summer...so comes out to $17,500 for the year.

Congrats!

Congrats! I wish the Penn chopping block would come visit me. Actually, I wish for acceptance, but I doubt that's happening at this point. I still haven't heard from AAMW even though Ancient History and Classics have their rejections.

Congrats!

Thanks, rkg! I hope that no news is good news for you when it comes to UPenn.