Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

• 4 weeks later...

I've put in apps at the following schools, all for M.A.'s

University of Arizona

Florida State University (FSU)

Boston University

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

University of Missouri

Only the first two are specifically Classics departments, BU is Archaeology focusing on Classical and Mediterranean archaeology, and WashU and Mizzou are Art History & Archaeology programs that also include Classical Archaeology. I was sort of limited in terms of where I applied just because I don't feel I could make it into a top PhD program just yet. There's also the fact that I must have funding because I refuse to go into major debt.

• 2 weeks later...

I ultimately decided to apply to these four programs (all MAs)

University of Arizona

University of Kansas

University of Toronto

Vanderbilt University

Funding is a must, since I would be turning down substantially more lucrative offers (but ones that I'm not as excited about) to pursue this path. Still waiting for my professors to submit LoRs, though...

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the absolute earliest would be the last week in January. The norm for acceptances is more around the February 10-20 range. Very few programs notify those who are accepted into March, so essentially if March comes around and no word, the odds are stacked against you.... Let's all hope for plenty of emails from schools over the next 4-5 weeks, since that's the time that they'd come.

...just to stop people from attacking what I said, let me state: Yes. Some programs do notify late. Which is why said 'the norm'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree with Veilside. Anticipate a general timeperiod of around the middle of February.

Unfortunately no news after that time period is probably bad news :(

If you're applying to American schools that do interviews you'll probably hear something a bit earlier than schools that do final acceptances/rejects, such as Canadian universities.

Looks like Wisconsin is the first to report -- sending out rejections! Here we go!

Yup... it begins. Going by the previous years' worth of results here, Stanford and Berkeley should be around the corner next (last days of January into te early days of February)-- after them we can expect the rest to flood their answers in just before Valentine's Day.

oh also, for interested parties, I've heard through friends that IPCAA has invited interviewees, UBC has made acceptances, and UNC has maybe sent out some notifications (a friend received a 'view your decision online' email, but the link didn't show up on his application...?). Best of luck all around. I've heard no good news so far but it looks like IPCAA is off the table at least... bummer.

I know that Berkeley already sent out some decisions. Does anyone know if I still have any chances if I didn't hear anything from them yet? I remember last year a friend of mine got her acceptance on the 7th of Feb so is it reasonable to assume that they might still send out acceptances this year?

Well, this week is going to be a big one. Based on previous years' dates we can all (reasonably) expect to hear from about half a dozen programs. Ugh... I'm already checking my email three times an hour, it's about to become a complete obsession--until I hear a "yes" from somebody, and hopefully then some anxiety will abate.

So, good luck to everyone on the eve of what is likely one of the most significant weeks for us all!!

so does anybody know what does it mean if after Skype interview the DGS invites me to the campus visit? is it going to be another turn of interviews? I somehow thought it was either Skype or face-to-face... and don't worry, I'm an international student, so they might have wanted to schedule me earlier.

and, of course, good luck everyone! :)

Edited by soleil