Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

Veilside, congrats on your Buffalo acceptance. That's great news!

Thanks!!

Attia,

I applied to the History Department at Chicago emphasizing ancient history, do you know anything about the going-ons there? I know that Hall and Ando are affiliated faculty, so maybe you've heard news as of this...

Veilside,

Yes, Ancient History via the UChicago History department hasn't even really met yet. The entire department will be meeting on the 6th, so don't except anything before then! Typically, UChicago History notifies on or around Valentine's Day. Good Luck!

I think that the Columbia post was not wholly legit. It sounds as if someone emailed the DGS to ask what was going on, and they responded with an email which generically stated that they were excited about their app.

I've never heard of a school emailing you before a decision just to say they like what they see at a cursory glance. Plus, both Columbia posts were posted back to back... Seems like a bs post to me.

Edited by Veilside1

Just found out the following:

1. Cornell is making their final decisions this weekend, and word will be sent out this next week.

2. AHMA at Berkeley has finalized their decisions, and will be notifying early next week.

3. IPGRH at Michigan has finalized their decisions, and will be notifying early next week.

It looks as if it will be a long weekend.

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on UCLA . It seems like a fantastic program, with professors doing unique research. Why don't more people mention it when talking about top ten programs? Everyone seems to mention Berkeley, Chicago, Princeton, Harvard, but NRC rankings put UCLA way above Chicago and on par with Berkeley's Classics (not AHMA) program. I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason it gets mentioned less. Are student outcomes not great? Is it unappealing to live in LA? Does it just happen to be underrated? What do you guys think?

I also have the same question about NYU. Why is it not that high-profile when the professors are so active and well-known?

The UCLA classics department is great; I am in the classics Post-Bacc program there and took a bunch of classics courses as an undergrad. I love it and hope that I don't have to leave!

Living in LA is a huge issue though, I paid $1365 for a crappy single close to campus back in 2006 and I have friends paying $1600 now for a crappy 1-bedroom close to campus (they have two people sharing the bedroom and one person using the dining room as a bedroom, so rent is $533/person). I now live about 25 minutes away and the rent is only $850 for a 1-bedroom, but it takes 1 hour to get there during the morning commute. However, if you're ok in a bachelor with a sink and hotplate, it's about $850 to live 10 minutes away near Palms.

Hey Bluetube,

I was wondering what "Pending" means on your profile. Have you heard back anything for those school or are those places you have applied?

Haha, "Pending" is a bit ambiguous, perhaps I should change that to "Waiting." I haven't heard from those schools yet and it's killing me!

Edit: Then I realized "Waiting" is ambiguous too! I think "Have Not Heard From" is sufficiently clear.

Edited by bluetubeodyssey

Good luck, Bluetube! I feel like I have every conceivable emotion regarding this whole waiting process. Some days are easier than others! From what other people on this forum have said it sounds like your admit to Buffalo is very coveted. Congrats! I am not a linguist myself so I can't say I have a good feeling for which programs are strongest in that area. I hope you keep hearing good news!

Good luck, Bluetube! I feel like I have every conceivable emotion regarding this whole waiting process. Some days are easier than others! From what other people on this forum have said it sounds like your admit to Buffalo is very coveted. Congrats! I am not a linguist myself so I can't say I have a good feeling for which programs are strongest in that area. I hope you keep hearing good news!

Thanks, Attia! And good luck to you too! Is UCSB your top choice? What other schools are you waiting to hear from?

It's hard to find schools that have any sort of Indo-European faculty, but I am lucky that Buffalo has one professor in the Classics department. I would love to get into the Indo-European program at UCLA though, it's the only IE-specific program in North America and you can get a graduate certificate in Classics while doing it! With that I could indulge in my love of Classics and also be more attractive to prospective universities after graduating.

I do Roman social and economic history! I was super happy to hear back from UCSB very early in the process but I am still waiting on 12 more programs! Because of my interests I would be better suited to a department that houses Roman history within the history department, rather than within the Classics department. UCSB is really trying to build their program up with a heavier emphasis on history so I am very excited to go visit in March. I am hoping to hear from IPGRH this coming week! Fingers crossed!