Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

well, this is what I'm asking about, I have an invitation to Princeton. but as I said, it may not be the same for domestic (if I may say so) students... and I'm just clueless about my own status anyway.

I suspect it's the same for domestic applicants; I was invited for a campus visit too, and I live in the States. I'm also curious about the entire process at Princeton and the nature of this interview: is it more like a "we all liked your application and just want to make sure you're not insane" type of visit or a "you'd better impress us or you'll be rejected" kind of visit?

I suspect it's the same for domestic applicants; I was invited for a campus visit too, and I live in the States. I'm also curious about the entire process at Princeton and the nature of this interview: is it more like a "we all liked your application and just want to make sure you're not insane" type of visit or a "you'd better impress us or you'll be rejected" kind of visit?

In the results survey I saw some people rejected after the campus visit, so I'm afraid it's the second option. I will just try my best no matter what exactly it is. May I ask you when are you going there?

In the results survey I saw some people rejected after the campus visit, so I'm afraid it's the second option. I will just try my best no matter what exactly it is. May I ask you when are you going there?

Those result posts really scared me too! I'm going next week. How about you?

I'm also holding out for Princeton, and by the looks of the 'results survey' page, the only listed "accepted" students received notification in late February at the earliest... so, hopefully Beelzebub is right, and Princeton still has more to go... I'm applying for the PAW (program in the ancient world) track, as my focus is ancient history, so hopefully the jury is still out on that. Only time will tell though.

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on UCLA . It seems like a fantastic program, with professors doing unique research. Why don't more people mention it when talking about top ten programs? Everyone seems to mention Berkeley, Chicago, Princeton, Harvard, but NRC rankings put UCLA way above Chicago and on par with Berkeley's Classics (not AHMA) program. I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason it gets mentioned less. Are student outcomes not great? Is it unappealing to live in LA? Does it just happen to be underrated? What do you guys think?

I also have the same question about NYU. Why is it not that high-profile when the professors are so active and well-known?

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on UCLA . It seems like a fantastic program, with professors doing unique research. Why don't more people mention it when talking about top ten programs? Everyone seems to mention Berkeley, Chicago, Princeton, Harvard, but NRC rankings put UCLA way above Chicago and on par with Berkeley's Classics (not AHMA) program. I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason it gets mentioned less. Are student outcomes not great? Is it unappealing to live in LA? Does it just happen to be underrated? What do you guys think?

I also have the same question about NYU. Why is it not that high-profile when the professors are so active and well-known?

It probaby won't be very helpful, but I've heard that LA (besidse being unappealing) is quite an expensive city, while the stipends are more or less at the same level as everywhere else. Also, from my point of view, they are not so active in Europe. But feel free to disregard all I wrote, since those are only my personal opinions :)

Has anyone heard anything else?

Just my acceptance to Buffalo thus far. But it looks like none of my other outstanding schools have given any word yet... I was expecting this week to be a big news week too... I think that Randy's right though, there will be a floodgate day as opposed to word trickling in.

Watch for Friday though, as most schools typically report on the first few days of February, and likely will be holding adcomm meetings then. Wishful thinking perhaps, but we'll see.

UChicago offered up 11 spots this year. No waitlist was made (nor will one be made) and all offers have already gone out via Email. Those who did not receive offers had their applications sent to UChicago's masters program in Humanities. The students will be brought in individually for on campus visits, not in one big group as they did two years ago.