Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

Non Humilis Muilier,

I was wondering about the Columbia Classical Studies as well. I didn't apply to Columbia but I know some other people who did and they still haven't heard anything yet. Any idea on when UWashington will be letting people know about PhD's? I thought I remembered someone saying something about MA notifications but I could be wrong!

Good luck this week, friends!

I've been invited to "visit" Columbia (I assume this is an interview??), but my program is Classics, not Classical Studies. I am curious about the difference.

Hmm, I just assumed they were the same thing but this person posted it under Classical Studies for whatever reason

Anyone care to claim the Columbia Classical Studies interview posted on the results survey today?

Although I cannot claim the interview posted, I was accepted into the Classical Studies program last week. Classical Studies is actually a separate PhD program, which allows you to take classes from Philosophy, Classics, History, and Art History departments. I'm also somewhat certain that Classics has a different admissions process, and that Classical Studies usually do Skype rather than in-person interviews. I hope this helps!

Beezlebub is right -- I looked at the Columbia website. They even have different DGSs -- Gareth Williams for Classics, and Katja Vogt is the chair for Classical Studies. I wasn't aware of the distinction before! And congrats on your acceptance, Beezlebub.

Thank you! Have fun with your Columbia visit!

Although I cannot claim the interview posted, I was accepted into the Classical Studies program last week. Classical Studies is actually a separate PhD program, which allows you to take classes from Philosophy, Classics, History, and Art History departments. I'm also somewhat certain that Classics has a different admissions process, and that Classical Studies usually do Skype rather than in-person interviews. I hope this helps!

That's pretty interesting. I wonder how many other Universities make those separate categories

I was the one who posted the interview with Columbia for Classical Studies. You're right, Beelzebub, about the differences. And yes, I had a Skype interview with the DGS, and 3 other people. It was quite a grueling questioning session. Congratulations on your acceptance! How long did you have to wait after your interview to hear from them?

Well I was over-prepared for my phone session with Michigan. It was just a nice fifteen minute chat about the program and how I might fit in and how the application process is currently progressing and he answered the questions I had.

The program sounds so perfect for me, I really want to get in. I'm on the waitlist and he gave me hope by saying that in the last five years they've been able to admit people from the waitlist, but also that the earliest I might know is mid-March, and possibly not until April. Drat! I'm tired of waiting.

I was the one who posted the interview with Columbia for Classical Studies. You're right, Beelzebub, about the differences. And yes, I had a Skype interview with the DGS, and 3 other people. It was quite a grueling questioning session. Congratulations on your acceptance! How long did you have to wait after your interview to hear from them?

Thanks! It took about a week for them to get back to me, but since CLST is a very small program, the timeline really depends on when the committee decides to meet, so I'm not sure if they are always so fast. I hope your interview went well! Who were your interviewers, by the way?

This is starting out to be a slow week for Classics. I think that the first pop of acceptances came out over the last few weeks, and the others will begin to notify later this week.

So, to keep things going and to keep this thread alive, what programs are people still waiting to hear from???

This is starting out to be a slow week for Classics. I think that the first pop of acceptances came out over the last few weeks, and the others will begin to notify later this week.

So, to keep things going and to keep this thread alive, what programs are people still waiting to hear from???

I hope you're right! You'd think that if the deadlines are clustered (mostly) within a week of eachother, results would be too. But it's been a week and a half since my first response and nothing since. Which blows.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about the Joukowsky institute yet. From the looks of last year's results, we should have heard something by now.

I spoke to John Bodel a few days ago and Ancient History via History doesn't do interviews, they simply told me I had been admitted but they are still flying me out there the same weekend as the Ancient History students via Classics, who have not yet been told if they are admitted. Sort of a strange system... but it looks like I will meet a few of you in person in March!

I thought I would pass on some quick news for anyone on the archaeology side of things.

Invites from the Cotsen at UCLA should all be out or will be within the next few days. There were quite a few applications - 96 in total.

I'm afraid I don't have word from the Classics department proper or NELC, but I'm guessing those decisions will happen soon, if not already.

I thought I would pass on some quick news for anyone on the archaeology side of things.

Invites from the Cotsen at UCLA should all be out or will be within the next few days. There were quite a few applications - 96 in total.

I'm afraid I don't have word from the Classics department proper or NELC, but I'm guessing those decisions will happen soon, if not already.

Do you happen to know how many they invite versus accept?

For those you you visiting Brown, when is their interview weekend (aka, when should I expect my rejection)?

Has anyone heard from AAMW at Penn or know when Classics/Ancient History are inviting accepted students?