Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

Veilside,

I didn't apply to Yale but I also watch the Grad Cafe History board and my sense is that everyone who applied to Yale via history has found out (interviews, acceptances, and rejections appear to have gone out already). My guess is that it was via history rather than classics.

On another note, a friend of mine applied to UMich's IPCAA (sp?) program to do archaeology. I have convinced this friend not to get hooked on Grad Cafe but I was wondering if anyone knows if any acceptances from this program have been made. Thanks!

Speaking of Michigan, does anyone here know anything new about IPGRH? I know that a few weeks ago rejections went out, but it doesn't seem like any acceptances have.

Well, that's more than a bit unusual. Quite possibly the strangest way to go about things, I would think. Very odd.

On another note, a friend of mine applied to UMich's IPCAA (sp?) program to do archaeology. I have convinced this friend not to get hooked on Grad Cafe but I was wondering if anyone knows if any acceptances from this program have been made. Thanks!

I don't know about acceptances, but rejections are sent by snail-mail. Rumor was that interview invites were sent out some time back even though nothing appeared on the list : /

For the Austin admits, any idea when notice hits the "check status" website? Or when they'll finish informing folk of good news? Should I just start checking it constantly, or write it off?

Also, congrats. Bastards. (j/k. sort of.)

For the Austin admits, any idea when notice hits the "check status" website? Or when they'll finish informing folk of good news? Should I just start checking it constantly, or write it off?

Also, congrats. Bastards. (j/k. sort of.)

I was an admit and my status didn't change. It might be because they haven't finalized the financial offer yet. I wasn't notified for a couple of days after the posting on the results page. Visit days are March 7th and 8th. I would think they would give at least two weeks notice, so maybe you'll hear tomorrow?

I was an admit and my status didn't change. It might be because they haven't finalized the financial offer yet. I wasn't notified for a couple of days after the posting on the results page. Visit days are March 7th and 8th. I would think they would give at least two weeks notice, so maybe you'll hear tomorrow?

One can hope. One can hope.

I've been invited to a "reception" at one of my schools, and I am wondering if anyone knows what to expect. The email says that it is a chance for already-admitted prospective students to meet faculty and vice-versa and to enjoy good food while socializing. I'm assuming this means no interview-type questions; just be friendly, not crazy, and maybe ready to chat about your research, but that's it. What do you guys think?

I've been invited to a "reception" at one of my schools, and I am wondering if anyone knows what to expect. The email says that it is a chance for already-admitted prospective students to meet faculty and vice-versa and to enjoy good food while socializing. I'm assuming this means no interview-type questions; just be friendly, not crazy, and maybe ready to chat about your research, but that's it. What do you guys think?

Well if it's admitted students only, then it's more like a visitation weekend where they are trying to recruit you it sounds like. Just be friendly and sociable and be read to talk about your research, but it sounds more like them trying to sell you than any type of interview.

I agree with maeisenb. In the program I'm currently in, they fly people up after being admitted (individually, there's no group weekend) and it's mostly to woo people into coming here. It sounds like you're in the same boat. It will probably be small chats with professors, tours of libraries/campus, and food (and hopefully booze). Just show up and have fun (but not too much fun).

I agree with maeisenb. In the program I'm currently in, they fly people up after being admitted (individually, there's no group weekend) and it's mostly to woo people into coming here. It sounds like you're in the same boat. It will probably be small chats with professors, tours of libraries/campus, and food (and hopefully booze). Just show up and have fun (but not too much fun).

Well - to a point. Admitted doesn't necessarily mean funded. The prospective weekends are a two way street used to make those final decisions. You get to check out the program and see if it's right for you while the profs and grad students get to see if you're a good fit for the program.

Indeed, show up and have some fun. Talk to people (especially the grad students) and find out as much as you can. FIT is one of the most important things about grad school, in my humble opinion. You may get into a great program, but if it's not really the best for you personally or the grad students are haughty pricks it won't be a good time.

Just noticed the Yale (Ancient History) rejection on the results page. Curious if this is an app for ancient history via the History or Classics Department.... Anyone here know anything?

That's my post, and it was through the History department.

So who is everyone still waiting to hear from?

I haven't heard anything from Brown (Joukowsky), UPenn (AAMW), or Bryn Mawr (Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology). Has anyone heard from them? I'm guessing that at least the first and probably second are both rejections, but I would still like to have it in writing.

I'm still waiting for Harvard Linguistics and Princeton Classics, but I'm assuming they're both rejections.

I haven't heard from Yale, UPenn, Princeton, and UCLA, all for Classics (philology). I'm assuming they're all rejections, but who knows?

UCLA is having their reception for prospective Classics grads next week, so maybe you're on a wait-list for them?

I'm still waiting on Brown (Joukowsky), UT Austin (classical archaeology), Florida State (classical archaeology), Johns Hopins (interdepartmental art & archaeology), and Boston University (archaeology program). I'm guessing some of these are silent rejections, but at least two (Brown and Johns Hopkins) have no results on the survey at all. You'd think somebody would have heard from the Joukowsky program by now (and posted it, at least). Boston's Archaeology program doesn't usually show up until early March from the looks of it, so I'm not freaking out on that one yet.

But doesn't it seem like things are damn quiet for this point in the application season?

I've only heard from Florida State. Still waiting on Boston University (archaeology), University of Missouri (art history & archaeology), and University of Arizona (classical archaeology). I know the last one's deadline was just ten days ago so I'm guessing it'll be at least a few more weeks.