Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

Anyone wants to claim the NYU admission?

I'm still waiting to hear from them, I guess it's not looking good...

I'm the NYU admit. The notice came pretty late, as I was already starting to make up my mind. I have a clear preference at this point, but I wouldn't turn down a school without hearing them out.

Well, I perfectly understood your point of view, even if I have never meant I had a meaningless SOP. I tought that my institution, my experience and what I did in the past was not enough to be choosen, but at least to be interviewed or waitlisted. If no one of these things matters, there's still my question around: why do they choose? I know what I want and I know what I did, and if somebody is so curious about it I can be more precise explaining my SOP to you, if this could be helpful somehow.

Soleil, this means I have to take Harvard as a rejection too? how lovely :)

Well, I perfectly understood your point of view, even if I have never meant I had a meaningless SOP. I tought that my institution, my experience and what I did in the past was not enough to be choosen, but at least to be interviewed or waitlisted. If no one of these things matters, there's still my question around: why do they choose? I know what I want and I know what I did, and if somebody is so curious about it I can be more precise explaining my SOP to you, if this could be helpful somehow.

Soleil, this means I have to take Harvard as a rejection too? how lovely :)

I applied there as well and I took the silence as a rejection, yes, but I'm fortunate enough to be admitted by my first choice school and I've already resigned from others (this goes to Oblomov as well: I think there are big chances for getting the spot!). Did you apply to any Italian programs? I considered that, but my Italian is not even half as good as English...

Italian programs won't be opened until September... well of course I will apply here, but the problem now in Italy is that there's no money at all and very few job opportunities studying Classics... I tought I had good chances in the USA, but it looks I've been rejected from everything is from the other side of Ocean. I am glad you got your target, wish you all the best since you have always been very kind with me, soleil. Just curious about one point: does anybody know the Scuola Normale di Pisa here?? :D

Thanks Soleil! I was told last week that I was wait-listed for Yale, but I assumed that few people would decline their offer, and so was looking elsewhere. However, I take spirit from your words!

Scaeva, I know the Scuola Normale: it's where Glenn Most teaches, if I'm not mistaken?

Oblomov, I resigned from Yale, I still need to do it oficially (because I'm not home yet and don't have the papers needed), so I hope it will go to you :)

Scaeva, you're welcome, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you whatever you decide to do! And yes, I've heard about your school :)

Oblomov, I resigned from Yale, I still need to do it oficially (because I'm not home yet and don't have the papers needed), so I hope it will go to you :)

Scaeva, you're welcome, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you whatever you decide to do! And yes, I've heard about your school :)

I hope so too haha

Good for you for getting in your first choice!

So I got an email from UArizona saying I'd been recommended for admission to the Classics M.A. program, per confirmation by the graduate college. So I guess that means I'm in? Excited!

Congrats! Their Anthro PhD (which I applied to for Archaeology) hasn't even gotten around to sending official letters. That app was due in Dec. Sigh.

I know their anthropology department is fantastic and I've had a verbal acceptance for awhile, but the funding issue is more than a little ambiguous. The real question is whether I could get a job in Classics with a degree in Anthro.

Did you hear back about funding from FSU? I think the MA at Arizona usually offers TAships. Yay for decisions. Good luck with yours.

I know their anthropology department is fantastic and I've had a verbal acceptance for awhile, but the funding issue is more than a little ambiguous. The real question is whether I could get a job in Classics with a degree in Anthro.

Did you hear back about funding from FSU? I think the MA at Arizona usually offers TAships. Yay for decisions. Good luck with yours.

This is a really good question. I've been wondering this because I'm debating on whether I should do a PhD in Classical archaeology or a PhD in Anthropology with a focus on Mediterranean archaeology.

I have not heard back from FSU about funding. I know that there's a month left to decide, but I hope they say something soon. I really like the fact that Arizona has a strong Anthro dept, because I intend to stay connected to that field.

Edited by Pius Aeneas

Still waiting too. I sent an email to the DGS a week ago, and no reply yet.

So good to know someone else is sharing my misery. haha... It should be soon, Veilside. I wrote to the DGS also and she replied saying I would know by yesterday. Well I haven't heard from them but I'm hoping it'll be soon...

Since there's less than 30 days until April 15th now, is it safe to assume that the remaining decisions are rejections if you haven't been told (informally or otherwise) that you've been waitlisted? Wouldn't having less than 30 days to decide go against what the SOP is supposed to be?

Oh dear gods, please don't ask such questions yet. It's one thing to figure you're facing rejection all around, but it's something else entirely to face the increasingly mathematical likelihood of it. The fact that one program I'm waiting to hear from hasn't replied to my email inquiry about decision timeline isn't very reassuring. The other only answered to kick the correspondence up the chain, so to speak. And that was on monday, with nothing since. So, yeah, I'm not feeling good about this.

Basically, I'm hating my life and I want to set things on fire. How're the rest of you holding up?