Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

Cicero,

First off, congrats at such an amazing application season!!

Where are all your choices, if you don't mind me asking?

Not too sure what your particular focus is, but off the top of my head I'd say go for Princeton. It was my top choice (I do imperial Roman history), and they have the trifecta of Roman historians there; Edward Champlin, Harriet Flower, and Brent Shaw. Plus you can take courses at UPenn, Columbia, NYU, CUNY, and Rutgers. I also think that Princeton has one of the best placement records of US programs in Classics.

Thanks Veilside1! I'm also interested in Roman history (Republican mainly) and Latin literature (but also Greek papyri and epigraphy as secondary interests). My choices are Princeton (PAW), Columbia (CLST), and Oxford (MPhil in Ancient History). I only really applied where I thought there was a sufficient pool of supervisors to work with.

Yes, Princeton does seem amazing: faculty, funding, and library; but the main drawback is the inflexibility of their program. For some, this may have an appeal; for me the flexibility of Columbia's CLST program (and the location) has greater appeal (I think - I'm still thinking about it). Oxford is obviously an entirely different kettle of fish, and has its own merits (and where I come from, people would gawk if you were to decline a scholarship to Oxford).

I also applied to JHU (withdrew my name) and Harvard (wait listed).

Well, I got my formal offer from Arizona today. I was rather disappointed by the funding. I knew they weren't going to match Kansas' offer, but I gather it's a cheaper area. Still, the offer was less than $10k and might not cover all of tuition, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to reject it.

Thanks Veilside1! I'm also interested in Roman history (Republican mainly) and Latin literature (but also Greek papyri and epigraphy as secondary interests). My choices are Princeton (PAW), Columbia (CLST), and Oxford (MPhil in Ancient History). I only really applied where I thought there was a sufficient pool of supervisors to work with.

Yes, Princeton does seem amazing: faculty, funding, and library; but the main drawback is the inflexibility of their program. For some, this may have an appeal; for me the flexibility of Columbia's CLST program (and the location) has greater appeal (I think - I'm still thinking about it). Oxford is obviously an entirely different kettle of fish, and has its own merits (and where I come from, people would gawk if you were to decline a scholarship to Oxford).

Wow, congrats on all your wonderful options!

Out of purely selfish curiosity, what Oxford scholarship? I was accepted to the university a few weeks ago, and am awaiting further funding information. I've been getting anxious!

Wow, congrats on all your wonderful options!

Out of purely selfish curiosity, what Oxford scholarship? I was accepted to the university a few weeks ago, and am awaiting further funding information. I've been getting anxious!

Hi rawrachu,

It's the Ertegun scholarship in humanities. (The "new Rhodes" according to my prospective supervisor - but that is probably pushing it).

All I can advise is not thinking what other people would do or think. Let them gawk as much as they want, it's your life and you know yourself and your goals the best :)

Hi rawrachu,

It's the Ertegun scholarship in humanities. (The "new Rhodes" according to my prospective supervisor - but that is probably pushing it).

Hey,

I just wanted to know when did the notify you about the Ertegun Sholarship. I applied for this too but haven't yet heard from them.

Hey,

I just wanted to know when did the notify you about the Ertegun Sholarship. I applied for this too but haven't yet heard from them.

The weekend just passed - via email from my Faculty DGS (official letter to follow I am told). I think it is done a Faculty by Faculty basis, as one of my friends has also applied from Egyptology and hasn't heard anything yet.

Has anyone heard anything definite from UCLA? I know they did interviews a month ago, so I'm not expecting to hear any good news, and I don't think I would go there anyways if I got in. But I'm really annoyed, on principle, that they haven't told me anything; they charge enough for the application fee to warrant the courtesy of a response.

Has anyone heard anything definite from UCLA? I know they did interviews a month ago, so I'm not expecting to hear any good news, and I don't think I would go there anyways if I got in. But I'm really annoyed, on principle, that they haven't told me anything; they charge enough for the application fee to warrant the courtesy of a response.

Sadly, I have no news for you. But I have to say, it's terribly distressing how often there seemes to be a real sense of programs not bothering to send out an actual response. How can this possibly reflect well on the program? "We want all your shit, by this date, and we're going to demand money for the privilege, but we'll be damned if we'll give you an answer!" Just doesn't seem like that should be a winning game plan.

This is strange, I'm at UCLA (post-bacc) and from what I've seen their Classics department is really on top of everything. If you care at least to get an explanation, I would try contacting them. Perhaps it was simply human error and you got shuffled into the wrong pile or something.

On a related note, has anyone ever tried asking for their application fee back if they weren't ever given a response?

Hi rawrachu,

Whoa congrats on getting that scholarship! I read that they only give out 15 of these each year! What an honor.

First of all: Veliside, grats on your acceptance.

I actually can shed some light on this. I'm waiting on word from UCLA as well, so I called the Classics department, and I was transferred to someone who told me that the person in charge of admissions notifications (or something like that - maybe an administrator? at least, the person responsible) has been out sick for the last *four* weeks. So, yeah, that could explain why pretty much no one has heard anything...

And before you start asking for your fees back, I was told by an adcom at an university where I have been accepted that this season seems to be very "late," i.e. a lot of decisions may be coming in right before April 15th. Pretty crazy. More competition, less funding, etc.

First of all: Veliside, grats on your acceptance.

I actually can shed some light on this. I'm waiting on word from UCLA as well, so I called the Classics department, and I was transferred to someone who told me that the person in charge of admissions notifications (or something like that - maybe an administrator? at least, the person responsible) has been out sick for the last *four* weeks. So, yeah, that could explain why pretty much no one has heard anything...

And before you start asking for your fees back, I was told by an adcom at an university where I have been accepted that this season seems to be very "late," i.e. a lot of decisions may be coming in right before April 15th. Pretty crazy. More competition, less funding, etc.

Well, that would make sense about UCLA. Thanks for sharing! That's really interesting about this being a "late" season. I wonder why. Perhaps, at least at some schools, with budget issues being such as they are this year, there have been delays in departments getting all the info from the amin about their funding packages in as timely a manner as the departments could wish?

Well, that would make sense about UCLA. Thanks for sharing! That's really interesting about this being a "late" season. I wonder why. Perhaps, at least at some schools, with budget issues being such as they are this year, there have been delays in departments getting all the info from the amin about their funding packages in as timely a manner as the departments could wish?

Yup. I learned about this the hard way: a program offered me funding, then was told by school that the funding they had been assured earlier had now vanished due to a "grim economic climate" and the state cutting their budget. So they, miserable and embarrassed, had to tell me that my funding was rescinded. Fun times.

Yup. I learned about this the hard way: a program offered me funding, then was told by school that the funding they had been assured earlier had now vanished due to a "grim economic climate" and the state cutting their budget. So they, miserable and embarrassed, had to tell me that my funding was rescinded. Fun times.

Well, that's just horrible. Probably explains why so many programs are behind on their notices though.

Out of curiosity, what programs are people still waiting to hear from? And do you think these are silent rejections, or is there something else going on?

Mostly just curious at this point. I've pretty much resigned myself to not getting into a PhD program this season. Starting to make plans for next year that revolve around writing a polished thesis (instead of banging out some frantic piece of shite - long story) and taking a serious look at what programs I want to apply to next season. And doing something related to my field for work, cause student loans are going to come bite me in the ass. But mostly, taking the upcoming year as a time for recovery and regrouping.

Anybody else?

I'm still looking out for JHU's rejection letter. I am also looking for advice :D.

I am history major (minors in German and philosophy) at a small university which lacks a Classics department. As a result, I was able to take only two years of Latin (which, luckily, were composed of upper-division classes, since I had a great high school Latin teacher) and one year of graduate, albeit intro, level Greek as an undergraduate. This, I believe, was a significant detriment to my applications to ancient history programs, despite my writing sample, which demonstrated my ability to work with both languages at an advanced level.

I now have seven rejections (assuming that JHU will eventually send my letter/email) and an offer of admission to what is, essentially, a dying Classics program. I visited and loved it. The students are intelligent and friendly and the professors are accomplished and charming. I was informed, however, that I would likely be the last student admitted to their graduate program, in the absence of an economic miracle. Two of the programs eight tenured faculty members are being forced to retire within two years. Funding was originally highly probable, but I received an email several days ago informing me that funding was now quite uncertain.

My question then, is this: given my painfully-obvious lack of "formal" training in Latin and Greek, would it be a wise decision to obtain an MA in Classics (my BA will be in History) and then re-apply to Ancient History PhD programs? How common is it to receive a master's and a PhD from different institutions?

Nota bene: Money will not be a deciding factor, although it is perhaps worth considering.

So I'm really thinking that I'll accept UArizona's offer. I knew that UArizona had a strong Anthropology department, but as I've done more and more research on the school I've come to realize it's a great department, to the extent that I could imagine myself doing my PhD in Mediterranean Arch. there. I'm also wondering if it might be easier to get into the program having worked with some of the professors already.

Edited by Pius Aeneas

Hanbran: short-answer-- from what I know, it is very common to receive a Master's and PhD from different institutions. Often it seems the MA courses don't transfer to your PhD, but usually they are paying your tuition/stipend for your PhD so it doesn't make a huge difference. I was on the circuit for ancient history this season, and I met a lot of people who had Master's from a US or UK program and were going to other schools for their PhDs. I personally will be deferring a US PhD program for a year to get an MA in the UK, and the US program is very supportive of that. There are a few funded US MA programs out there but I'm pretty sure the deadline for funding has passed for this season. If you are looking strictly for more language experience, you might look at post-bac programs which I think (but I am far from certain) tend to be a bit cheaper. If you decide to take the PhD offer this is all moot, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Hope it helps!

Pius Aeneas: Congrats on Arizona! I have a friend who does classical archaeology at the master's level there (I'm not sure which department she is in) but she has gotten some fantastic PhD offers this season.

Hanbran,

It definitely is normal to apply to PhD programs with an MA from a different institution. I would recommend that you apply to a Post-Bac program for the upcoming fall, since it's too late to apply to MA programs. UPenn's program is by far the best out there, and they consistently place students in top programs. I also recommend taking UPenn's intensive Greek 112 and 212 over this summer before beginning their post-bac program, and mention your intent on doing do in your personal statement. From UPenn apply to both PhD programs and terminal MA programs which offer full funding ((WashU/WUSTL, UArizona, UColorado-Boulder, FSU, Tufts) to ensure options for the following fall.

Pius,

I'm at Arizona now, and can ensure you that each and every year all, yes all, Classics MA students get in to top programs. Out of this year's graduating class we have students going to: Stanford, UNC-Chapel Hill (2, maybe 3 of us), Rutgers, Virginia (with the Thomas Jefferson Fellowship-$30,000/year on top of stipend), UC-Irvine (rejected offers from Cincinnati and Wisconsin-Madison), and at least three of us turned down offers from Michigan. The previous year students went to Yale, Brown, Stanford, and Michigan.

As far as helping your odds to get in to Arizona's PhD, definitely. To have faculty at any institution that you're applying to already know you, and perhaps be writing on your behalf is a major advantage. The Classics MA here at Arizona is a fantastic program, and I'm glad that I chose it over the other 3 MA options that I had.

Hope this helps.