Does my GRE score affects my future scores?

Mazinger

Unless you prepare yourself differently for the exam, yes, you probably will get low scores again. If you really work hard studying and taking practice tests, you should do better.

Every GRE score is independent from all the others. So the low score won't automatically make the next one be a low score. All you have to do is study more on the things you did not do well on, and try to do better on the next.

If you do, good luck!

I just wanted to add that if you send one set of scores the school will see every test score you've received in the past 5 years.

FWIW, the scuttlebutt I heard when preparing for the GRE is that some programs may look sideways at scores that improve after multiple attempts. That is, an admissions committee may wonder if the improvement meant that the first result reflected a bad day or if the subsequent results merely reflected deep pockets.

Interesting...I heard that departments looked favorably at improved scores and usually treat them in one of two ways- they either take the higher of the two scores or average the scores. It matters alot to me because my score improved by 160 points (old scale) the second time around...sure aint no deep pockets here...just a dogged determination- got up at 5 am for the 6 weeks before the test to make sure I was ready...hopefully most of adcomms infer that the improvement reflects hard work and dedication... but we'll see...

Interesting...I heard that departments looked favorably at improved scores and usually treat them in one of two ways- they either take the higher of the two scores or average the scores. It matters alot to me because my score improved by 160 points (old scale) the second time around...sure aint no deep pockets here...just a dogged determination- got up at 5 am for the 6 weeks before the test to make sure I was ready...hopefully most of adcomms infer that the improvement reflects hard work and dedication... but we'll see...

The GRE was the one component of the application process that really FREAKED ME OUT. :blink: Consequently, I was more than happy to use the unconfirmed rumor as a legitimate reason not to take another bite of the apple. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sigaba