Harvard interviews?

ejuliast

I just saw on the results list that two people got interviews for Harvard Soc. I thought that they didn't interview applicants...? Does anyone know what this means - and if there's still a chance of acceptance without an interview? Just curious...

Yes, I was disappointed to see the updated results too. Does anyone know something about the Harvard?

Don't be disappointed - last year people got emails on several days, so if you didn't get one yesterday it doesn't mean that you won't get one.

Second thing - they specifically say that they do NOT conduct interviews. It's possible that these interviews (phone interviews, btw) are only done when they want clarifications for something on your application... otherwise I see no reason why they would say that an interview is not required if it really was.

Don't be disappointed - last year people got emails on several days, so if you didn't get one yesterday it doesn't mean that you won't get one.

Second thing - they specifically say that they do NOT conduct interviews. It's possible that these interviews (phone interviews, btw) are only done when they want clarifications for something on your application... otherwise I see no reason why they would say that an interview is not required if it really was.

Thank you so much for your information! I felt much better now. Best of Luck! Thank you.

No problem. This is from the department's graduate program FAQ: "Does the Department require an interview prior to admission? No, there is no interview included as part of the admissions procedure. After applicants are accepted into the program the Department invites them to visit on a special day in March. The Chair and Director of Graduate Studies present an overview of the program, and you will have an opportunity to meet with current faculty and graduate students, and gain more insight and information before making your final decision."

Also - check the results search for last year's results. Only three people reported having an interview.

For those who were interviewed, did they apply to sociology or social policy or both? Which program interviewed them?

Good question! I hope it was the social policy program, and not sociology (to which I've applied)... the social policy program is notoriously selective, and it's more likely (I hope) that their admission process includes an interview.

I just spoke to friends who are current graduate students at FAS and they confirmed that the Sociology department at Harvard DOES conduct phone interviews of all its shortlisted candidates (about 24 at this point - they said 10% of the original applicant pool, which was about 240 this year) and have done for at least the last 8 years.

However, from the results page, it seems that the interview emails are still being sent out - so there is no reason to believe that all the interviews have already been scheduled/are over.

I think the final admit rate is about 5-6% (so half of the people who interview, get in) and the results are meant to be out from FAS at the end of Feb (or so).

Good Luck to everyone!

Ooh...tell us what happens! Is it a phone interview?

Yup. And its 20 minutes. And they just want to know general "why sociology?" "why now?" sort of questions. Again - advice given to me that worked - do research on the person interviewing you and stay calm. Its really just a chat with a professor at the department who wants to know why you want to study there.

Good luck!

How did your interview go?

While I'm mortified and expect to fall apart, I like those odds...

I'm not sure what to make of it. It was fairly informal. Just a general chat to know the usual things : "why sociology?" "why harvard?", "why now?", etc. But I am guessing it depends on who is interviewing you.

Good luck for it!

Mine was 45 minutes long! With a pretty famous sociologist (I was scared to death!) We talked about my research experience mostly. It felt pretty good, but I can't say anything for sure.

I got basically the same info. They got about 300 applicants. They are interviewing 24. They plan to accept from this interview group 8 for "straight soc" and 4 for social policy/sociology for a cohort of 12.

We should hear in less than two weeks.

yikes!

Good luck to everyone.

Omg, you scared me - I thought they started notifying people. I think their projected cohort size is 12, so they will accept more people -- though I would expect them to give out only 12 acceptances first and then move further down the list when some of the accepted people turn them down (that's because if you're aiming for, say, 4 people in your social policy program, and you give out 4 acceptances, there's still a good chance that none of those people will turn you down).